TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^ I'm downnnn.

So Cedar Fair, I guess I don't comprehend your choices. You're buying Kings Dominion a 20-30 million dollar new coaster, and carowinds as well probably, and yet you're wanting to sell to great parks (WOF & VF) to "reduce debt". Seems a tad weird in my opinion.

So Cedar Fair, I guess I don't comprehend your choices. You're buying Kings Dominion a 20-30 million dollar new coaster, and carowinds as well probably, and yet you're wanting to sell to great parks (WOF & VF) to "reduce debt".

The answer's not really that complicated. They believe they can make more money with King's Dominion (especially if they add a huge new coaster) than they ever can with VF or WOF, no matter what else they do with them.

/I assume, based on the evidence.

KD is right by BGW, so think about. Cedar Fair would want to add as many coasters as possible to try and overtake BGW and become the better park, but they never will. BGW always has and always will be the best park in Virginia. (No matter how many and what kind of coasters KD adds.)

EDIT:^^^That's a pretty fanboyish statement to say...

Keep in mind, BGW is a theme park which focuses on atmosphere and theming while KD is an amusement park which focuses more on delivering rides/attractions.

IMO BGW is an excellent park, but aside from the 5 coasters and the 3 water rides, there really isn't much else to do (unless you haven't seen any of the shows yet).

KD has bigger rides and a larger concentration of coasters compared to BGW. Sure there's tons of concrete and trash cans, but this IS a CF park.

I won't say that one is better than the other because both have their good and bad points...

---------------------------

Let's get back on topic...

This is exciting. I really can't wait til this opens next year. This might be the key to drawing more people back to KD for a while. Lets just hope all these huge coasters won't bring CF into bankruptcy...

^^^I wonder what the long pieces of single spine straight track are for. They dont look like theyre for anything special like lifts or brake runs, but that would mean there is a LONG straightaway in the middle of the layout somewhere, unless were gonna have an RCT type drop with a small pullout and a long vertical straightaway

Looking at the size of the site, it looks too small for a traditional giga coaster like Millennium Force. Now, if this coaster had a vertical lift, then I could see this coaster being over 300ft tall. Unless the first drop went to the right like on Expedition GeForce, there just doesn't seem to be enough room for the lift hill.

KD is right by BGW, so think about. Cedar Fair would want to add as many coasters as possible to try and overtake BGW and become the better park, but they never will. BGW always has and always will be the best park in Virginia. (No matter how many and what kind of coasters KD adds.)

"Better park" is debatable. However, more successful park? Certainly Cedar Fair has a shot at that. Think about it, the NOVA/DC area can choose to drive 3-4 hours to BGE, or an hour or so to KD. If KD can offer a world class coaster collection on par with an amazing park like CP, and enough for family's to be entertained, then the majority will probably go with that. Take a day off to drive down to KD, or a whole weekend to go to BGE.

Also CF is showing signs that they want KD to become a destination for the region, this is helped by the hotels being built down there right now.

I really don't think they're done with land-clearing yet.

Besides, I have a feeling that the coaster will be larger than the visible land-clearing that they're doing... Who's to say that the coaster isn't going to go along the backside of Rebel Yell or over by Waterworks?

^Launch maybe?

In regards to the pictures, the funky section that sure looks like it will have a catch car, but I don't see the rail the car goes on. In the old Intamin 4 bar track the rails were on the outside of the box but in this track the connecting bars attach right to the rails. I don't get it, or the straight single spine track.

Besides, I have a feeling that the coaster will be larger than the visible land-clearing that they're doing... Who's to say that the coaster isn't going to go along the backside of Rebel Yell or over by Waterworks?

Thats what I was thinking, based on the land clearing we see this would have to be a pretty insane compact layout for a coaster that is 300 ft...

"Better park" is debatable. However, more successful park? Certainly Cedar Fair has a shot at that. Think about it, the NOVA/DC area can choose to drive 3-4 hours to BGE, or an hour or so to KD. If KD can offer a world class coaster collection on par with an amazing park like CP, and enough for family's to be entertained, then the majority will probably go with that. Take a day off to drive down to KD, or a whole weekend to go to BGE.

Also CF is showing signs that they want KD to become a destination for the region, this is helped by the hotels being built down there right now.

Also for those don't live in the area the new very large Fairgrounds are being built right near KD as well. Lots of events held there as well as a large number of horse shows.

The Fairgrounds which be much larger than the existing ones we have now at RIR. RIR wanted all that stuff gone years ago since Nascar is a big deal here.

A lot of the horse/barn facilities are basically done. There is another expansion phase to the horse facilities planned but that has been held off for the moment.

Therefore there is a lot of activity coming to the Doswell area now.

As others have mentioned before the flat track pieces are most likely station/transfer track OR standby track (ie end of the ride waiting to unload)

Look at some MF pics

http://www.pointbuzz.com/Photos/Photo.aspx?id=1215&tag=millennium+force

AND

http://www.pointbuzz.com/Photos/Photo.aspx?id=1217&tag=millennium+force

AND

http://www.pointbuzz.com/Photos/Photo.aspx?id=1211&tag=millennium+force

Thats what I was thinking, based on the land clearing we see this would have to be a pretty insane compact layout for a coaster that is 300 ft...

Could end up being a compact layout like SROS or some of their megalites. The megalites (from what I have seen) are pretty compact and overlap a lot.

BG does have some big advantages over KD as a "destination" park--access to Colonial Williamsburg and the rest of the Historic Triangle, as well as easier access to Virginia Beach and the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

Doswell has a long way to go before it becomes a "destination" for more than a daytrip. KD getting an impressive new coaster, along with its onsite water park, should help, though.

BG does have some big advantages over KD as a "destination" park--access to Colonial Williamsburg and the rest of the Historic Triangle, as well as easier access to Virginia Beach and the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

Doswell has a long way to go before it becomes a "destination" for more than a daytrip. KD getting an impressive new coaster, along with its onsite water park, should help, though.

Much agreed, there is nothing do around KD and you have to travel a solid 30 mins to get into downtown Richmond where you can find museums, art houses etc (not that those things make people plan a special trip to the area for them)

BG still has the better drawing potential and the high quality of the park really helps. Water Country is a great park as well it just costs a lot when you want to do both.

Looking at the size of the site, it looks too small for a traditional giga coaster like Millennium Force. Now, if this coaster had a vertical lift, then I could see this coaster being over 300ft tall. Unless the first drop went to the right like on Expedition GeForce, there just doesn't seem to be enough room for the lift hill.

From what we know this could go from behind FOF to one of the wave pools. It took them all of a few days to clear that land. There are reportedly markings back by the wave pool and Rebel Yell. They could easily clear some more land before next spring.

I have a feeling that it'll be way more than what currently meets the eye, but I would still be down for a giga lite

I have a feeling there will be more than what meets the eye too. Something just does not feel right by the look of that track.