TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Intamin Giga, as in something like MF? Or is it something else?

But lets hope its everything MF should be and isnt. AKA Actually have airtime, directional changes and overall less boringness.

^Exactly! Why does everyone think MF is so good anyway? When I rode it I was like, wow this is pretty dang boring! I like Raging Bull sooooo much more! Thats one of my favorite B&M's

but then again.... B&M is my absolute favorite

^^^I am actually far less interested in the B&M going to Carowinds because I have a feeling it'll just be another stupid Airtime Machine with a hammerhead and two twists, the Giga on the other hand has possibilities to be a better version of the #2 ranked coaster in the world

^^^I am actually far less interested in the B&M going to Carowinds because I have a feeling it'll just be another stupid Airtime Machine with a hammerhead and two twists, the Giga on the other hand has possibilities to be a better version of the #2 ranked coaster in the world

did you say a stupid airtime machine...lol lol

If I want speed i'll let my windows down and hit 130 mph...

Ugh, I hate how everyone keeps comparing this to Millennium Force...a coaster built a decade ago.

Sure, they are both Giga Coasters, but besides the height, what makes you think they will have anything in common? That's like comparing Oblivion to Griffon...

did you say a stupid airtime machine...lol lol

If I want speed i'll let my windows down and hit 130 mph...

I say stupid because Turns+Air are more my thing, not just repetitive air which is what both Behemoth and Dback are

No Friggin' Way... I would have thought a giga would be the LAST thing any park would get right now! But that's awesome! I hope its true.

With the new track type and the fact that MF will be a decade old.. I doubt it'll be a clone! Why would they spend that much and build a clone..?

So personally I'd say there's more of a chance of this being a 300 foot clone of a Vekoma Rollerskater than a MF clone.

Not sure if this has been answered yet but does the term "giga" mean that its def. a lift hill?

Does anybody know if this thing is going to have a launch or a traditional lift hill?

Wasn't KD rumored to get a TTD clone (or coaster similar) a while ago? If that's the case, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this were launched. I have no clue, though.

Not sure if this has been answered yet but does the term "giga" mean that its def. a lift hill?

No, not at all. Millennium Force would still be a "Giga" coaster, launched or lift. Same with TTD, it would still be a "Strata" coaster either way. That term simply refers to the height, not necessarily the style of getting to said height.

Intamin Giga, as in something like MF? Or is it something else?

But lets hope its everything MF should be and isnt. AKA Actually have airtime, directional changes and overall less boringness.

^Exactly! Why does everyone think MF is so good anyway? When I rode it I was like, wow this is pretty dang boring! I like Raging Bull sooooo much more! Thats one of my favorite B&M's

but then again.... B&M is my absolute favorite

Mhm... thats what I was talking about...

But anyway, is anyone on board with my Western theme predicts, I mean its all CF has been doing lately with red tracks.

When is CF going to get me my hyper coaster at KBF, I mean California only has one, and its not very good.

Ugh, I hate how everyone keeps comparing this to Millennium Force...a coaster built a decade ago.

Sure, they are both Giga Coasters, but besides the height, what makes you think they will have anything in common?

The comparisons are likely because it's the same company building the coaster using the same vendor who is delivering the same ride type.

Also, there's not really a glut of 300-399 ft. coasters to compare this new one to.

It's a perfectly valid question: Will this new coaster be designed primarily for speed or airtime?

it has nothing to do with metric conversions I was just saying that just to give a lame duck excuse as to why someone always says "a b&m over 230ft is a no go" I just get tired of people saying whatever coaster company wont build whatever just because a company hadnt built it yet. Maybe it cost substancially much more to build a coaster over 230ft by B&M due to extra measures that have to be taken but to say they wont when they clearly have is kinda contradictive...

And I find it kinda ironic he states "over the past 7 years he's been told by numerous Cedar Fair, Busch, and Six Flags managerial-types " B&M wont build a coaster over 230ft when silver star was built....what a minute here it comes... 7 YEARS AGO!!!

From "what I've heared", the problem is the length of the chain. If the chain get's too long, it's too heavy and will give problems. This makes the 230ft height still valid: SilverStar starts at about 10ft in the air, so the lift hill is about 230 ft...

PErsonally I find it odd that people put down MF. 300 ft is a big difference from 200 ft if you think about it. Imagine the difference you get between, say Gemini's first drop and Magnum's? I'd say there is plenty of difference there. Am I the only one who thinks that a 300 ft drop does the same?

According to the Intamin website, it does.

"Lifts and Brakes

The vehicles are pulled up the lift by means of a catch car, which is connected to a steel cable system. The cable guiding and hoisting unit uses well proven technology from the Swiss Cable Car Industry. Intamin has developed an innovative and unique system in order to pick up the train while still located in the horizontal load position, without the use of a secondary drive system. This guarantees a smooth acceleration and transition into the 45 degree steep lift. The brakes are designed as failsafe eddy-current braking units.

Both Systems (the lift and brake) represent proven technologies as they are in use on a multitude of other Intamin rides."

This is included in the description of a Giga Coaster. There's also a video of Millennium force, which definitely confirms that this will be a Millennium Force clone only with a completely different track technology, because that makes perfect sense to design a brand new kind of track to build an otherwise exact replica of a ten year old ride that's sinking. IT'S SIIIINKIIIINNG!!!

I'm going next year, and I'd like to know if it'll be open when I'm there.

I'm going to book non-refundable airfare, hotel, and car rental to go to KD on opening day weekend next year. It'll totally be the park's fault if I miss the new coaster next year.

From "what I've heared", the problem is the length of the chain. If the chain get's too long, it's too heavy and will give problems. This makes the 230ft height still valid: SilverStar starts at about 10ft in the air, so the lift hill is about 230 ft...

Steel Dragon 2000 is 318 feet tall and uses a chain lift system...