TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Could be pretty cool! I wasn't really intending on getting a platnum pass, but since both Carowinds and Kings Dominion appear to be adding something significant, it might be worth the cash to do so. Add a visit to another CF park and a few re-visits to KD or Carowinds, and I may feel happy with the purchase.

-Gary T.

My thoughts exactly. I haven't had a CF pass since 2007, but with KD, Carowinds, KI, and Dorney all getting new credits worth riding since then, it will be hard to pass up next year.

Since the definition of giga coaster means a height anywhere in between 300 to 399, I'm hoping for an upper 300 and a layout that does more than Millenium Force. What really would be sweet is if it has an inversion or two.

CF is building this monster for several reasons, and the first is that CF can't build B&M's due to the fact that Busch has an exclusivity contract with B&M. I don't know all the exact specifics of it, but KD couldn't go to B&M for a unique new Hyper/Dive Machine/Inverted/Flyer because Busch has those tied up. The only reason they got Dominator is because it was a translant (as was correctly mentioned earlier in this thread).

Second, KD needs a crazy monster like this to draw in better crowds. If you compare the crowds of KD to BGE, KD is often much quieter. This will easily top Apollo/Griffin at BGE, and (hopefully) bring in larger attendance numbers.

I applaud CF for this move and hope they make it a wonderful airtime machine, while skipping their usual gimmicks, though I HAVE heard that there may be inversions on this ride, making it the tallest/fastest inverting coaster on the planet (just a fun wild rumor...no merit to it yet).

As for this "Jersey Devil" concept at SFGAdv (what is it, anyway?), I don't believe it. Marc Shapiro just said in a public interview that the days of Six Flags Mega-coasters are done, as he wants to build new attractions at all the parks every year. Six Flags has now become family parks, and I stongly suspect any future coasters we see will be Tony Hawk/Dark Knight/GCI Woodie types. Dear God, PLEASE let me be wrong!!!

That B&M exclusive thing keeps getting repeated but nobody knows the details. I have a hard time believing it.

What I do believe is that B&M can't build a 300 footer at a comparable price to Intamin.

I hope that you're wrong about the inversion. That would mean OTSR.

I really hope that this coaster don't have any inversions since that would probably mean that they are forced to use horrible OSTR restraints, which would kill the open air experience you get from the U/T- bar restraints.

^^ BTW the rumors I have heard about the "Jersey Devil"all points towards wood, so there might be another really big wooden coaster heading in that direction...

That B&M exclusive thing keeps getting repeated but nobody knows the details. I have a hard time believing it.

What I do believe is that B&M can't build a 300 footer at a comparable price to Intamin.

I hope that you're wrong about the inversion. That would mean OTSR.

I'm skeptical of that rumor as well & believe it to be nothing more than enthusiast gossip as that would eventually put B&M out of business due to market saturation.

^^^ Looping coasters can run without OTSRs...

CF is building this monster for several reasons, and the first is that CF can't build B&M's due to the fact that Busch has an exclusivity contract with B&M. I don't know all the exact specifics of it, but KD couldn't go to B&M for a unique new Hyper/Dive Machine/Inverted/Flyer because Busch has those tied up. The only reason they got Dominator is because it was a translant (as was correctly mentioned earlier in this thread).

I don't understand WHY B&M would make an exclusivity contract with B&M stating that only Busch has the rights to their coasters (how do you explain Diamondback and Behemoth?). Busch would have to pay B&M a LOT of money in order to make a contract like that.

I can understand that Busch may have exclusive rights to the DM around BGW and BGT and the Flying Coaster around SWO, but exclusive rights for ALL their models? If KD wanted a B&M hyper and couldn't build them, they would turn to another company, causing B&M to lose money. I don't think B&M wants something like this...

As for this "Jersey Devil" concept at SFGAdv (what is it, anyway?). Six Flags has now become family parks, and I stongly suspect any future coasters we see will be Tony Hawk/Dark Knight/GCI Woodie types. Dear God, PLEASE let me be wrong!!!

There is no Jersey Devil concept at SFGAdv (that I know of). There will probably be more small, high-thrill coasters (Eurofighters, El Locos, GCI Woodies) and family coasters like Dark Knight/Tony Hawk. SF may build larger coasters in the future to keep their thrill base, but they're focusing on families and getting out of bankruptcy right now.

Yeah I have seen several rumors around the net about Black Squid going up somewhere next year as well.

If true perhaps in this area also or better yet fill in the void left by Hypersonic which looks AWFUL!

By the looks of things I wonder if Anaconda's days are now numbered. I mean who wants an old green/orange/yellow Arrow blocking the view of the shiny, new giga coaster.

Plus, hasn't Anaconda's ridership been pitiful the last several years?

^ Or maybe they didn't want it to be a secret.

They are not denying anything. They just aren't confirming anything. I mean come one, there's track in the parking lot. Perhaps they would have liked the scale of the project to stay secret a bit longer, but as the land clearing/Footer pouring and the amount of track being delivered started to mount, the size of the project would have become obvious. Although I'm sure, in a perfect world they would have preferred to drop the Megaton of "Giga" themselves. But enthusiast buzz is built up either way. So I'll bet they are not TOO disappointed.