TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I just got back from the park and I saw construction going on behind the Anaconda. There were cranes working. You could see it from the Drop Tower, Crypt, and Americana. I don't know if this was reported already...

Started on page 43, well actually page 30 but the red track on 43

Quote from page 43:

I just got back from the park.

Just 6 pieces of track and a lot of tiny support pieces around.

I think it is an Intamin. but we will see.

here are some close up pics.

I just got back from the park and I saw construction going on behind the Anaconda. There were cranes working. You could see it from the Drop Tower, Crypt, and Americana. I don't know if this was reported already...

Someone posted a video to KD fansite(from onboard americana) showing the construction activity but for some reason there wasn't much,if any movement from the two large cranes on site but their boom's were up which means they were moving something around on site.

I'm going to the park tomorrow so I'll be sure to take a look around the construction site while riding anaconda....too bad someone can't just sneak their way on top of FOF's building with a camera to get some good video footage of what's going on over there.

Even if that was possible, Flight of Fear was closed when I went over there early on. And Volcano didn't open until about an hour and a half after park opening I believe it was... Shockwave got stuck on the lift hill too. There were just several rides that were closed/open late. FoF may have opened up later in the day though- I never went back to check.

I was there this morning too and

WE HAVE CONFIRMATION

INTAMIN GIGA!!!!

needless to say I am stoked!!

my connection is really crappy now

will post more soon

JEFF

kd201002.jpg.883d3f913a4ac4ffa7ccb9f48b20bb7b.jpg

note bumber and more odd track support connections

kd201001.jpg.0a915bf1fc02da29dcb8d699bd6cd171.jpg

transfer/station pieces

Giga!!!!.jpg.f875dad7b6e2194d904d792dc8b652bf.jpg

note: "Giga Coaster" surrounded by Intamin packing tape (box was a bunch of washers)

Cool. Let's hope this is still just lapbars and not OTSRs as I really dislike the Intamin OTSRs (got to experience them last week on Storm Runner and Fahrenheit).

Great pics and thanks for the excellent detective work!!

Should be interesting and I am now I am really looking forward to the 2010 season.

Greg

Intamin Giga, as in something like MF? Or is it something else?

Giga -- I think will simply mean over 300 feet tall.

This makes sense too as the rumors some folks have posted are that this coaster was to be taller than DZ and the Eiffel Tower.

Hopefully I will enjoy it as much as I do MF.

Intamin Giga, as in something like MF? Or is it something else?

While I have never been on MF (but been called one ) I hope its a different design. Just for the sake of being different.

Did the cost of steel go down or something? I never thought Giga coasters would be plausible again after they have become worn gimmicks. But I am glad to see a park give the concept another chance. I hope this ride will spark more parks to go above the 300 foot barrier now.

Did the cost of steel go down or something? I never thought Giga coasters would be plausible again after they have become worn gimmicks. But I am glad to see a park give the concept another chance. I hope this ride will spark more parks to go above the 300 foot barrier now.

I have questioned this a few times myself but as the KD thread has grown I have seen many folks mention how steel has gone down making this possible. I have no first hand knowledge so no idea.

Also supposedly the new "double spine" track is stronger and needs less supports thus using less steel thus costing less. Again just things I have read.