TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

My personal opinion is that this will be a Giga coaster. If you look at the land clearing it's obvious that this ride will take up a massive amount of land and run parallel to the park. If it was a Hyper I expect it would go out towards the woods instead of staying next to the park were it can be obviously seen (and bragged about). I also don't think any ride smaller then a Hyper coaster can take up the amount of land cleared.

An add on to the whole project would probably be making a path from the FoF area to the Rebel Yell area (the Grove). As many of you know that area is really annoying to get out of because it's pretty much a dead end.

Good idea as a new way to get to the congo section from the grove is desperately needed.

Someone posted this over at KDFansite. Proof that the F1 (and therefore, the KD track) is Intamin?

Hello all. I know this is my first post here, and I'm not sure if this is one of those communities where the newbies with low post counts are shunned as being ignorant or unreliable when it comes to information, but I do believe I can offer you definitive proof that this new coaster is going to be an Intamin.

I'd also like to apologize in advance for the length of this post, as I like to cover all my bases when trying to prove something one way or another. Consider this a research paper, if you will.

Now, for starters, before some of you jump on me saying "For the 21st time! First Drop Magazine has confirmed this! We don't need more posts trying to persuade us! We know!", I kindly ask you to hold off on that, as only a few people have actually seen that article with their own eyes, as evident in the last few posts in this thread, there are still those who remain healthy skeptical about that information.

So, to begin. Here is a patent filed with the European patent office by a company called "Raw Tex International AG" for "Antriebseinrichtung für bewegliche Fahrgastträger", which translates from German to:

"Drive device for moving passenger carrier"

"Why is this important?", you ask. Well, this particular launch system is the new launch system for the F1 coaster being installed in Dubai. The very same F1 coaster said to be being designed by Intamin.

You can download and look at the full patent here:

http://h1.ripway.com/patents/F1Coaster.pdf

"Big deal!" you might scoff. "Nowhere in that German document do you have any proof that the ride system is being designed by Intamin. You've proved nothing!" you say with disdain.

"Nay!" I say. For if you look closely, you can clearly see that "Raw Tex International AG" is definitely associated with Intamin in some way:

Case 1: The ride's trains:

I don't know about you, but those trains scream "Intamin!" to me.

Case 2: The ride's track (see above photos):

I don't know about you, but that track also screams "Intamin!" to me.

Case 3: Other "Raw Tex International AG" Patents:

ZacSpin Patent:

http://h1.ripway.com/patents/BallCoaster.pdf

AquaTrax Restraint Patent:

http://h1.ripway.com/patents/AquaTrax.pdf

OTSR Patent:

http://h1.ripway.com/patents/OTSR.pdf

As you can see in all those patents, the designs are clearly existing Intamin rides/vehicle designs/restrain designs. Which leads me to Case 4.

Case 4: "Raw Tex International AG" IS Intamin.

Doing some research on "Raw Tex International AG", I've come to find they are a private company located in Schaan, Liechtenstein. In a not-so-suprising coincidence, Intamin lists the following location at the bottom of all of their ride brochures:

"INTAMIN, Landstrasse 126, P.O. Box 644, FL-9494 Schaan, Principality of Liechtenstein"

Example: http://www.intaminworldwide.com/iag/docu/Aquatrax.pdf

What other company could possibly located in Schaan, Liechtenstein filing patents for amusement rides with the exact same design as Intamin rides? None. Thus, I believe it is safe to say that "Raw Tex International AG" IS in fact, Intamin. I assume that Intamin sometimes files its patents through other private companies it has formed over the years for privacy reasons.

So, to summarize:

F1 Coaster launch patent = Raw Tex International.

Raw Tex International = Intamin.

F1 Coaster = Intamin.

Kings Dominion Track = F1 Coaster Track = Intamin Track.

And again, I realize First Drop Magazine has already published this information, and I never doubted it. This post is just to prove, for those who haven't seen the article, or who are still skeptical, that this new track is, indeed, Intamin track.

Source: http://www.kdfansite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=441&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=1864

My personal opinion is that this will be a Giga coaster. If you look at the land clearing it's obvious that this ride will take up a massive amount of land and run parallel to the park.

Normally, I would scoff at such an idea as mere wishful thinking. But...Intamin double-spined (presumably extra strong) track...one of Cedar Fair's bigger parks, whose closest competition already has a B&M hyper...maybe so. Good theory (even if it doesn't pan out).

I really doubt this is a Giga or terra coaster. The cost of building such a ride is enormous and with the current economic climate.. It could happend, but I think something like the F1 coaster is more likely. That one would need a pretty big area too!

At least the big radi on the turns suggest a fast ride..

^^ Its an aquatrax!!!

But seriously, I really hope this is like the F1 coaster, because the picturesi n that thread f the coaster look fricken awesome. I am really looking forward to this, because it seems like it will either be an Intamin hyper(possibly a megalight) or a F1 type coaster. F1 is going to be the fastes coaster on earth, correct?

True, however on Twitter today Coaster Crew posted they heard the supports showed up at Canada's Wonderland today...

"@coastercrew Someone just said the trucks that left KD last week with supports just arrived at Canadas Wonderland."

True, however on Twitter today Coaster Crew posted they heard the supports showed up at Canada's Wonderland today...

"@coastercrew Someone just said the trucks that left KD last week with supports just arrived at Canadas Wonderland."

D'oh! I totally misread the post I replied to. Thanks for the clarification...although I still highly doubt a KD/CW mixup happened.

Seriously...can we stop talking about the economy?

Cedar Fair is spending money to make money...it's a basic concept. Just look at what Diamondback has done for KI this year; it was obviously a great investment! Kings Dominion is trying to compete with BGE (who already has a B&M hyper), as well as other surrounding attractions. If the park feels that opening a giant coaster next year will make it soar over its competition, why would they not take that risk? (Not to mention, the economy will surely be on the rise again soon...)

Plus, if this is indeed an Intamin giga/terra coaster, it may end up being CHEAPER than Carowinds' B&M hyper.

^Plus, when the economy is bad, people tend to cut back on luxuries, i.e. vacations. So instead of that week-long trip to Disney World Mom and Dad were gonna take Junior on, they decide to spend a fun, less expensive weekend at the local park (like Kings Dominion) instead.

This is really starting to confuse me.

Is CW getting a coaster too? CF is doing an excellent job of messing with everyone's heads.

So this means that...

CW

Carowinds

CP

and KD

all could be getting coasters next year?

Man, first Sf improves on customer service, actually cares about its rides, and adds tons of trash cans to their parks while CF is digging themselves deeper into debt with huge coasters, removing charm for bigger rides, and increasingly worsening operations.

This is really starting to confuse me.

Is CW getting a coaster too? CF is doing an excellent job of messing with everyone's heads.

So this means that...

CW

Carowinds

CP

and KD

all could be getting coasters next year?

Don't forget, USF, SWO, and BGE also got into the act this year. I believe all of these abbreviations were involved too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UqqjEeWP9Y

^Plus, when the economy is bad, people tend to cut back on luxuries, i.e. vacations. So instead of that week-long trip to Disney World Mom and Dad were gonna take Junior on, they decide to spend a fun, less expensive weekend at the local park (like Kings Dominion) instead.

That is so true to, We went to SFGAM Friday night for coasters after dark (Witch is for season pass holders only) and the wait for Raging Bull was about 40 minutes. I rode BTR once and waited like 25 minutes for it, so we said the hell with it and just left.

In fact the last two visits to the park has been busyer than usual.

A Lot of people just don't have the money to spend on big family vacations, so their going to stay close to home.

I totally agree with you.