TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^ Why would they do that? They'd miss out on months of hype and speculation. It's much better marketing to keep it secret as long as possible and create a buzz about it.

-James Dillaman

The problem is, it creates buzz around coaster geeks who are not the majority of the clientele. I'm pretty sure there arent many regular gp people who happen to like coasters checking tpr and kd fan sites to see what was coming up. Granted there will probably be a couple of locals who say

"Did you know Kings Dominion is getting a new coaster?" but the buzz pretty much ends there. If it was announced that it was a hyper, I'm pretty sure the conversation would go on longer about how awesome it's gonna be. Besides, wasnt Diamondback announced kind of around when track/ supports started showing up?

^Not really.

Diamondback wasn't announced until after Swan Lake had been cleared, stuff was on site, and footings were found littered around the paths holding flower pots. And the whole website "Eye in the Box" and countdown. The announcement was in early August.

And sure, the GP isn't too vested in this yet, but once teaser signs start showing up in the park and construction becomes conspicuously visible, lots of people will be talking about it.

^^It would be a horrible decision for the park to announce the new coaster this early in the season.

If they were to do that, guests' mindsets would be, "Well, KD is building this awesome new coaster next year, so I'll just wait till then to visit the park." Therefore, they would lose business.

Not to mention, when the ride finally opens, all of the hype would have died down considerably by then.

I guess, they do need to market it right though, I think sfmm kind of failed at creating buzz outside of the coaster community, tonight was the first night I've heard one of my friends talking about Terminator the ride. One last question, do supports usually arrive this early before the ground has most of its footers poured?

I was at the park when the 1st trailers started to arrive. I have photos and I will post them in the morning when I get home from work. I also have photos of the Marco Andretti event at the park as well, which was pretty cool in my books. I also got the chance to race him in go cart racing and got a poster and schedule autographed by him.

-Brian-

^^Maverick's supports began arriving at Breaker's Express in May '06, about the same time relative to it's opening as these supports are arriving. So, no, I don't think it's too early for these to arrive.

^^Maverick's supports began arriving at Breaker's Express in May '06, about the same time relative to it's opening as these supports are arriving. So, no, I don't think it's too early for these to arrive.

You would exspect that from CP... but trust me, this is real early for KD.

The supports don't look like the ones being manufactured at the B&M plant so I don't think its B&M.

The B&M supports are round, while KD's coaster supports are square.

Here are the pics...

1bnmfabrication12.jpg.da0f46a0694c7c3af06929a7314ffc24.jpg

Mysterious B&M supports 2

1bnmfabrication5.jpg.d00af0e38b8076a3e6d6040fc2ab114f.jpg

Mysterious B&M supports

559329592_2010KD.JPG.073af25a71b27a4ade61a16e9ae565b8.JPG

KD's coaster supports...

The supports don't look like the ones being manufactured at the B&M plant so I don't think its B&M.

The B&M supports are round, while KD's coaster supports are square.

Here are the pics...

The only supports that are square are the ones being offloaded by crane in the phot,but if you look at the support sitting in the foreground of that pic it's clearly round.

^However the support being lifted out has the boxy iSpeed style, and an Intamin Style track connector, the only reason I would think it's B&M is because the containers arriving are pretty much identical to the ones found at the plant

Ok for those presenting the argument that they think the coaster is a B&M because of the containers .... look, containers are containers, there aren't near as many companies manufacturing custom containers to transport rides. There's no such thing as a "B&M container"... simply containers are containers and they will all look very similar if not the same regardless of what company is manufacturing the ride it depends on the company who has been contracted to transport the ride.

Thus.... leading me to my next statement. This ride is without a doubt from Intamin! I just cant make any judgment as it whether it will be of similar style to iSpeed (LSM launch) or a rocket coaster, or even a hyper. It seems to me that either of the 3 would be great as I would like to think that KD is trying to go higher finally with their coasters as both BGE and SFA both have coasters over 200'. A top hat on an LSM launch or rocket coaster can easily top 200' and we know Intamin has several coasters of 200ft - I count 12 so they are no stranger to soaring to new heights if that's were KD wants go.

furthering my argument look at these supports on ispeed

Pic1

pic2

also if you go here and scroll to the bottom. The very last picture under "Febbraio: le prime foto dei binari" shows the base of the ispeed supports which are also the same as those for this KD coaster. I say we have a match!!!!

Now im going to let my self start crossing my fingers... I really want KD to be the 2nd park to get an Intamin Giga Coaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! especially since parts have started arriving so early (hinting at a large project possibly).

As far as the containers go, no help there, but like I said if you want answers as to where they come from, someone needs to get a pic of the actual rig. They are loaded with DOT info as to their origins, plus they have the little thing on the front and back called a plate which should more than likely belong to a carrier from the state in which the containers are being shipped from. Or even better yet Clint could use his power to try and talk nicely to one of the drivers and see where he is picking up the containers from LOL.

I think the pics in the above post need to be resized. They're HUGE!

As for the trucks themselves, they could be from anywhere depending on where the shipping company comes from. You could ask the drivers where the supports are coming from, but they could be sworn to secrecy or something like that.

LoL I wanted to go up and talk to them but PR and Security said NO. PR is giving the basic PR blurb of "We are concentrating on the 2009 season" and when asked about the parking lot they said "yeah the pot holes could use some attention".

They did make it a point in saying that if I was to go film the "pot holes" I would have to stay back, or I would not be filming for long.

The only supports that are square are the ones being offloaded by crane in the phot,but if you look at the support sitting in the foreground of that pic it's clearly round.

^No it's not. Take a closer look:

That round part you see in the lower left is also featured on the support being lifted out of the truck. The actual support column is square, while the section that connects the column to the track is round.

1663534307_NotRound.jpg.2b700418a361f3784e5d74698f89d925.jpg

See...

While I do believe this will be an Intamin, there are a number of strange, but important, differences between these types of supports that seem conflicting to me. I'm going to be technical, so sorry if you don't care. The first thing I noticed, the circular connection points (track connection?) are not ribbed which hypothetically reduces the strength while iSpeed's are ribbed.

The octagonal bases now appear thicker and sport a different bolt pattern.

Also, the entire support is fully boxed, notably the angled connector coming from the "top" and sports an external flange. The iSpeed model resembles an I-beam for each part and bolts together internally.

These changes may just be design revisions, reactions to what they learned from iSpeed, but it seems like a quick turnaround for a redesign.

^ I see what you are saying and I thought the same as revisions to the support design are likely. Moreover, if you look at the two supports the revisions are minor in regards to the similarities between them. Thus I still remain affirmed that the ride is an Intamin. As for the ribbed connector points I thoroughly looked at all construction pics i could for iSpeed and noticed that not all the supports are ribbed and some do reflect the unribbed style as we see in these pics at KD. I would count that yet as a revision as I'm sure we can possibly see some ribbed supports arrive. The hole patterns at the bases are the most evident differences overall in my opinion, but i would bet that that is a revision.