TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Of course there's no rule, but common sense would make it seem like an illogical addition all things considered, imo.

Who knows though, with the new B&M trains on Behemoth they could probably come up with a fine ride and people wouldn't even think of AC and KD's hyper as being too similar.

SFA and Batwing are only an hour and a half or so up the road from KD...

Silver Bullet and Batman: The Ride are in the same city...they don't appear to have many problems with that. So are Battman: TR and Great White. Also look at Talon/Batman. Or Hydra/Medusa. Or Talon/Great Bear.

I think KD should be able to make a successful hyper if they choose to do so.

All KD needs to complete their lineup is a B&M invert (V:TBC sucks imho),a hyper & a shuttle coaster that's go along nicely with what they already have.

Other than that they just need to beef up their flat ride arsenal a bit more with a few more inverting flats as both berserker & the crypt are too uncomfortable for my liking.

Imo, KD should build the rumored B&M Hyper for 2010 alongside the Old Virginia section of the park. It would be nice to see a huge new coaster zooming all the way alongside the path. The problem is how many trees that need to be cleared to make room for it but I think it would be best now to start expanding towards I-95 a bit.

Old Virginia hasn't been developed with any major attractions in years. From the map below...

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=37.837954~-77.444043&style=h&lvl=15&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

I can see the hyper using the former HSXLC station (hint hint, maybe there is a reason why they kept it there?) but instead of making a left turn to the launch like like HSXLC, it would 60 - 80 degree turn to the right a start climbing the lift hill. The lift hill on Diamondback and Behemoth look fairly steep so I think it should fit fine avoiding collision with Grizzly's not so over banked turn. The coasters first drop would then go right behind the Kings Dominion Theater, followed with a hill and turn around at the backstage area of the park like Behemoth. The rest of the layout could be determined by them successfully making it back into the station.

If all those trees alongside I-95 were to clear, who couldn't resist paying a visit to the park seeing a this huge massing coaster B&M coaster by the interstate?

I can't wait to see what the park has planned.

Yes, but I think that end has been given enough attention over the past few years. I mean, it is already the most crowded section of the park... There is really no big ride on the other side of the park in Old Virginia to attract a large crowd. I think it is time to give OVA some attention since that side of the park lacks!

I pictured it to be behind anaconda, and rebel yell.

That's my feeling as well.They could start by placing the station area next to FOF & then running the coaster in a simple out & back circuit paralell to Rebel Yell's right hand track,only problem with that idea however is working around the waterpark.

Another idea in keeping with running a potential hyper through OV is to start out on the hypersonic pad,run the outbound leg over BRT,remove Shockwave & run the return leg through it's footprint with an AC style dive to the right to bypass the carousel on it's way back to the station but out of these two suggestions I think the former,rather than the latter will be the most likely outcome....that is if the 2010 project turns out to be a hyper of course.

Now from what I hear Intamin may be doing the project & not B&M,which makes sense as they can do a steep cable lift (ala MF @ CP) which would really turn out to be a space saver given the limited area they have to work with.

^Or you look at CF's recent purchases and they seem to indicate "bulk" purchases from companies. Everyone knows about Cedar Point's fetish for Intamins in the past (4 in 7 years). Renegade and Prowler are both GCIs (as was the CGA coaster for next year), and with Behemoth and Diamondback, I wouldn't be surprised to see KD's new toy follow as the third installment of the B&M purchases. I don't see any reason why a park would steer away from multiple purchases from the same company, especially if they make successful rides. The GP doesn't notice or care about the manufacturer. Finally, also keep in mind that Dominator wasn't a new purchase from B&M, even if that did matter.

Bottom line, though, is that it's going to be a solid ride regardless of which company got the nod.

^Or you look at CF's recent purchases and they seem to indicate "bulk" purchases from companies. Everyone knows about Cedar Point's fetish for Intamins in the past (4 in 7 years). Renegade and Prowler are both GCIs (as was the CGA coaster for next year), and with Behemoth and Diamondback, I wouldn't be surprised to see KD's new toy follow as the third installment of the B&M purchases. I don't see any reason why a park would steer away from multiple purchases from the same company, especially if they make successful rides. The GP doesn't notice or care about the manufacturer. Finally, also keep in mind that Dominator wasn't a new purchase from B&M, even if that did matter.

Bottom line, though, is that it's going to be a solid ride regardless of which company got the nod.

You know,after looking at all of the updates on Diamondback construction going on at KI I think a B&M hyper may very well be a possibility within the area behind Rebel Yell.Diamondback will feature a rather steep lift for a B&M so as to clear many of the attractions/structures that occupy it's footprint.

Of particular interest on Diamondback is the peculiar supports for the base of the lift,instead of being bolted to the underside of the spine it's bolted together one on each side.Now if B&M can do a steeper than normal lift to fit the terrain limitations at KI then I'm sure that it's a possibility for KD's rumored 2010 project....I'm just not satisfied with the new mega train design that B&M has since created for their hypers & would prefer their standard four abreast trains instead for KD's coaster.

I'd rather see an Intamin prefab built there (maybe something like T-Express but with a longer or steeper first drop?) than a B&M hyper. That would certainly be unique to the area beyond an Intamin or B&M hyper. Wish I knew how Cedar Fair felt about those types of coasters.

^As awesome as that would be, I can't see them adding a fifth woodie now. The GP doesn't know how awesome the pre-fabs are, and how they are infinitely better than the woodies they have. Maybe they'd realize how special they are after time, but it just wouldn't create the buzz and hype that a new B&M or Intamin mega would bring. "Tallest, fastest coaster in the park (state even?)" sounds better than "innovative new woodie that coaster geeks love. Now we have 5". I think Blackpool is currently the only place that can get away with 5 woodies. Maybe Holiday World in the future, but not KD.

^As mentioned earlier in this thread, the park was already planning at one point to put up what would have been the longest wooden roller coaster in the world earlier this decade (but decided to drop it after Son of Beast's failure). That would have been a Paramount decision though.