TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I have no problem with this announcement...CF has to find somewhere to put the old GL rides. I actually thought that the El Dorado flying car was kinda cool! It could use some refurbishing, but am sure that it would get some love at KD, just like Dominator did. I see it as a unique ride, and would definitely fit in well right next to the Coaster's 50's diner that is already there! Others seem to share the same thought. The fit is perfect...

I fully think that KD could use a few more flats...and I really think that they should replace Hurler with Big Dipper!

^ I said this on BGEscape........why does everybody hate KDs Hurler? Last time I rode in 2006 it was fun!..........Carowinds Hurler sucks so bad its my least favorite coaster EVER. I rode it last in 2004 and it pulled a few shoulder muscles.......

Both versions suck equally & should be torn down to make way for something that's more enjoying/less painful.

The other two rides are rumored to be El Dorado,a Huss Rainbow/Falling start type ride & the spider,which appears to be the same model that KD had back in the 70's/early 80's & not one of those polyp models like octopus at SFA.

KD had the polyp model with 4 cars on each major arm (Octopus). There is a picture on KD's web site from the 70's showing the ride (see Below).

http://www.kingsdominion.com/images/news/PKD%201970s%2071_mc4.jpg

The model at GL is a spider with 2 cars per arm and a different ride cycle.

As others have asserted, I feel Cedar Fair thinks highly of KD and is willing to invest in the park even in an "off" season. I think that KD is firmly in the top 5 of CF's parks along side of Cedar Point, Knotts, CanW, and KI. We have received 3 major water attractions in 2007; Dominator in 2008; and the possibility of 3 flats in 2009.

I realize that some are not happy with this possible selection of flats for 2009 but, how much happier would you be if CF announced KD would get nothing but general improvements for 2009?

The other two rides are rumored to be El Dorado,a Huss Rainbow/Falling start type ride & the spider,which appears to be the same model that KD had back in the 70's/early 80's & not one of those polyp models like octopus at SFA.

KD had the polyp model with 4 cars on each major arm (Octopus). There is a picture on KD's web site from the 70's showing the ride (see Below).

http://www.kingsdominion.com/images/news/PKD%201970s%2071_mc4.jpg

The model at GL is a spider with 2 cars per arm and a different ride cycle.

As others have asserted, I feel Cedar Fair thinks highly of KD and is willing to invest in the park even in an "off" season. I think that KD is firmly in the top 5 of CF's parks along side of Cedar Point, Knotts, CanW, and KI. We have received 3 major water attractions in 2007; Dominator in 2008; and the possibility of 3 flats in 2009.

I realize that some are not happy with this possible selection of flats for 2009 but, how much happier would you be if CF announced KD would get nothing but general improvements for 2009?

I'm familiar with KD's original spider,unlike SFA's which has all arms lowered at the same time for load/unload KD's had to be cycled one car at a time....I remember hating being stopped up in the air on that thing when I first rode it as a kid.

I think you're right about the CF heirarchy here. KD was one of the top three grossing parks in both the KECO & Paramount chain & it looks like CF is going to continue with that tradition.I'm glad that they're getting flats for 09 especially if it means getting something nice for 2010.

I am very happy they are added three rides from Geauga Lake. An Americana (Huss Giant Wheel), El Dorado (Weber 1001 Nacht) and Black Squid (Eyerly Spider) are take shipping to King Dominion.

Yes, I remember the Apple Turnover (Schwarzkopf Enterprise) and Bad Apple (Eyerly Monster) are used to placed Apple's Grove area with the Adam's Apple (Mack Musik Express) but the Adam's Apple is renamed late to Vertigo. You seen on movie Rollercoaster 1977?

Apple Turnover, Bad Apple, Vertigo, Flying Carpets (Slide), Sky Ride, Flying Bobs, Sky Pilot (Flight Trainer), Witch Doctor (Trabant), Jamestown Landing (Flying Dutchman), Old Diamond Railroad and Diamond Falls are gone for many years.

Bad Apple has 24 Tubs and Spider from Geauga Lake has 12 Tubs.

I can't wait to see three rides add at Kings Dominion

Both versions suck equally & should be torn down to make way for something that's more enjoying/less painful.

I have never ridden the Hurler at Carowinds, but the one at KD was not even close to enjoyable. No air time, bone jarring, jack-hammering...just no fun at all. People complain about Mean Streak for being rough, but that is glass smooth compared to this thing! I think that most older wooden coasters seem to ride a bit smoother in the front - but that is just my opinion and others may beg to differ. Couple that with the fact that I am 36 and not 16 anymore...my body can't take that kind of abuse!

The Rebel Yell wasn't much better, but gave a fun, decent ride in the front. The back however, was a different story - jack-hammer city! I figured being that the racing coaster was so much better in the front (just like Mean Streak) that I would go right for the front of Hurler...same result as the back of Rebel Yell - OW, OWW & OWWWWW!!!!

Not to get too far off topic - I am still glad that KD is getting some more flats!

I went up to KD last night armed with the telephoto and found what I believe are cars from GL's Americana in the maintenance area. No sign of any of the other flat rides though, but the sun was going down when I got there and didn't have much time to look around from the tower. I'm not a big fan of flat rides, but I think the ferris wheel will give the park a little more character which is a very good thing. I'm hoping they put it in a very photogenic location.

IMG_4701small.jpg.21d84fa1b9172915f0aaf760c86868f6.jpg

Thanks again, Geauga Lake!

• Like 1

For all the complainers about 3 new/used rides think about this. At least you still have a homepark. It was really sad when today I saw Time Warp on several flatbeds while filling up my car at a gas station, I am just standing there and I see that weird clock face driving by and I am like, hey thats Time Warp, anyways those three rides are great additions.

Kings dominion was always a good park to me! I thought it and carowinds had very similar attractions and offerings. And it still has a old time feel to it to me! But putting the wheel in the back of the park where there is nothing to look at??

Kings dominion was always a good park to me! I thought it and carowinds had very similar attractions and offerings. And it still has a old time feel to it to me! But putting the wheel in the back of the park where there is nothing to look at??

Well with that area now empty after HSXLC's demise they need something back there & Americana will fill the void quite well.

^ Time Warp was sold to the Schlitterbahn Kansas park for around $5,000. With that a few other Geauga Rides are being relocated there including the scrambler, Pirates Flight and Sea Dragon Ship.

I would say that in the end, about half of Geaugas rides will have been relocated to Cedar Fair Parks and all in all, maybe 6 or 7 rides will be gone for good: Double Loop, Villian, Skyscraper, Haybaler, *maybe* RWB and Dipper.. depending on the outcome.

I have never ridden the Hurler at Carowinds, but the one at KD was not even close to enjoyable. No air time, bone jarring, jack-hammering...just no fun at all. People complain about Mean Streak for being rough, but that is glass smooth compared to this thing! I think that most older wooden coasters seem to ride a bit smoother in the front - but that is just my opinion and others may beg to differ. Couple that with the fact that I am 36 and not 16 anymore...my body can't take that kind of abuse!

The Rebel Yell wasn't much better, but gave a fun, decent ride in the front. The back however, was a different story - jack-hammer city! I figured being that the racing coaster was so much better in the front (just like Mean Streak) that I would go right for the front of Hurler...same result as the back of Rebel Yell - OW, OWW & OWWWWW!!!!

Not to get too far off topic - I am still glad that KD is getting some more flats!

I have to call shenanigans on the "no air-time" claim. First two bunny hills after the first high bank turn have great ejector air, thats the only reason I ride Hurler every time I visit the park. Hurler at KD in the front seat is a fine ride. The only terribly rough part is the first turn, after that you get some decent airtime and a reasonably smooth ride. Rebel Yell on the other hand sucks out loud, which is really sad because backwards was incredibly fun and smooth.

I am incredibly happy to hear about KD hopefully receiving a ferris wheel. First thing I heard GL was closing I thought "please let KD get Dominator and the ferris wheel, they would be perfect for the park". El Dorado will be a nice fit also.

Now if only SFA would finally add anything other then a water slide my home parks would be good to go...

I have to call shenanigans on the "no air-time" claim. First two bunny hills after the first high bank turn have great ejector air, thats the only reason I ride Hurler every time I visit the park. Hurler at KD in the front seat is a fine ride. The only terribly rough part is the first turn, after that you get some decent airtime and a reasonably smooth ride. Rebel Yell on the other hand sucks out loud, which is really sad because backwards was incredibly fun and smooth.

I am incredibly happy to hear about KD hopefully receiving a ferris wheel. First thing I heard GL was closing I thought "please let KD get Dominator and the ferris wheel, they would be perfect for the park". El Dorado will be a nice fit also.

Now if only SFA would finally add anything other then a water slide my home parks would be good to go...

I agree about hurler & really think that,if CF trimmed it or added an OBT to bleed off some of that excessive speed then maybe,just maybe it could be a salvageable ride.You just get thrown so violently into the side of the car coming out of that turn that it makes the rest of the ride unenjoyable.

As for RY,I noticed that on both sides the jackhammering was at it's worst when going down the big drop that leads up to the turn around but other than that the ride was fine for the most part.

As for SFA,I wouldn't count on them doing anything positive to improve the place,there's a reason why I stopped going there after 10 years as a pass holder,and it's not just the lack of new attractions.

If this has been confirmed that we are getting 3 new flats for next season. I'm really not looking fwd to it.. These are so old school. There're suppose to be located in XLC's old location. WooooW, I cannot see KD with a Ferris Wheel!!!!

Dude if this is true that means your park is getting four additions in two years. I cannot see how you have anything to complain about.

--Robb "Your posts is EXACTLY why parks get annoyed with enthusiasts." Alvey

For his case, it's about QUALITY not quantity.

Just because you have a bunch of rides doesn't mean the park is any better. No, what it means is that you have less space to build an attraction of a quality which is worth everybody's time. Once that space is filled, its going to be there for awhile.

Along with that, I dont see why park management has to get butt-hurt over one enthusiasts reaction to a particular project. If the enthusiast's disagreement holds no practicality or reason to it and is just out of angst or ignorance, then you would think the management would be able to dismiss such an opinon and continue on with their own lives.

It is interesting that Kings Dominion is ( or maybe ) be getting a Ferris Wheel considering that back in the 70's that park vowed never to get one.

"...you can ride those at carnivals !!"

Well those were the Paramount days, Cedar Fair clearly has different plans for the park. Paramount would have never added Dominater the way CF did.

^^ Actually Paramount didn't come around until like 1994. Before that it was KECO in the 80s and the company that was spun off from before that in the 70s.

I have to say though, the current spot of Shockwave would be a great place for a ferris wheel. Heck, that spot would be a great place for any large flat. I'm not saying Shockwave needs to go, as I like it, but others hate the TOGO death machine.