TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Ahhh, How I miss Apple Turnover. They should had brought that back instead of the Spider.

I miss the Apple Turnover !!

Looking back I can see why Kings Dominion were so against Ferris Wheels back in the 70s. Not only were those seaside parks in and around Norfolk and Virginia Beach like Seaside Park, Ocean View and Buckroe were still open back then ( and they all had Ferris Wheels ) plus Roanoke's Lakeside Park was still open too and yes they had a giant ferris wheel. Also back in the 70's the Washington area's Marshall Hall park was still in business and they too had a ferris wheel.

Also back then ( 1970s ) Kings Dominion was in competiton with Winchester, Virginia as well with their annual Apple Blossom Festival. For that first weekend in May their entire downtown ( which is pretty big for a city of about 28,000 ) turns into a giant amusment park with rides, games and other typical carnival stuff. Back in the 70's during this event Winchester had FIVE carnivals and of course FIVE ferris wheels !!! Three downtown Winchester alone.

I can see how Kings Dominion wanting to be well..different !! So Kings Dominion with a ferris wheel even today is ..well odd. But then again Kings Dominion today is so unlike Kings Dominion back in the 70s anyway.

I can go to the Va's State Fair to ride these...

Then go. We know your stance. Why must you keep complaining?

--Robb

Because I want to, I'm just making a joke out of it, that's what the turing was for(HINT). Like I said before, you must had not understood. I would had wanted another type, meaing 1 big flat instead of 3 small ones, that's just my wants and desires, don't you have the same for some things. It's not that very hard to comprehend with that. I'm still glad we are getting 3 flats to add to our addition(if we are), but why knock me if I want a large flat (newbie), dam*!!

I'm just glad my home park (SFDK) got a new bathroom in addition to the THBS coaster. Three second hand flat rides will do great for the park. And considering CF is 2 billion dollars in debt, this is an economic friendly choice for them. With all the money being spent up the road at KI, not all parks are created equal. They all have their time. My other home park (CGA) is getting that new GCII woodie next year and will be the first coaster installed since 2001. Considering we lost 2 coasters from 2002 - 2004, this park is in desperate need of a new one. You guys in VA just got an awesome B&M floorless and are lucky enough to get more rides next year too.

Personally I like all types of rides, these ones seem fairly high quality, and I don't think they'll seem out of place at a big theme park at all. And they help cut lines, so the more flats the better I say.

Personally, I like the additions for Kings Dominion. I agree that El Durado (sorry if spelled incorrectly) would fit great near the old Happy Days Diner. I would say that the side of the farris wheel should be located around the entrance of HyperSonic, face out to the midway, and trees re-planted in the old hypersonic station and queue area. Stick the spider in the old turn around area of Hypersonic, and I think it would be great! But that is just my line of thinking.

If this has been confirmed that we are getting 3 new flats for next season. I'm really not looking fwd to it.. These are so old school. There're suppose to be located in XLC's old location. WooooW, I cannot see KD with a Ferris Wheel!!!!

Dude if this is true that means your park is getting four additions in two years. I cannot see how you have anything to complain about.

--Robb "Your posts is EXACTLY why parks get annoyed with enthusiasts." Alvey

Either you like or you dont, in my case I don't. to me it's not about the quantity, it's the quality. Now, don't get me wrong. Like I stated before, it's great we're getting 3 additions if it is true. But I would rather have 1 huge(frisbee) flat instead of 3 old tradtional flats. IMO!

I agree completely with Robb on this one as well. And If you dont want them, I would gladly take them down at Carowinds in a heartbeat. Of course they arent as good as a topspin, or a giant frisbee, but its an addition in a section of the park that is lacking, we do not have very many flat rides and these would be a great addition to the park.

--Robb

Because I want to, I'm just making a joke out of it, that's what the turing was for(HINT). Like I said before, you must had not understood. I would had wanted another type, meaing 1 big flat instead of 3 small ones, that's just my wants and desires, don't you have the same for some things. It's not that very hard to comprehend with that. I'm still glad we are getting 3 flats to add to our addition(if we are), but why knock me if I want a large flat (newbie), dam*!!

Dude chill. Since 2007 we've added a Proslide Tornado, a Proslide Mammoth, a second wavepool, a B&M Floorless(we've all been wanting a B&M forever at KD). 3 used flats is just fine and the ferris wheel if we get it would add some nice atmosphere to the grove section of the park. I think they'd do better at Carowinds. Since 2004......they've added their flyers, some other random flat that escapes my mind, a swimming pool, a kiddie water slide, a flat taken out and readded, a 2nd wavepool, swings, and next year a vekoma boomerang.....Kings Dominion has plenty of rides stop complaining. BGE gets a new ride every 2-5 years and they're doing just fine.

For all of those who are complaining about KD's new rides for 2009... GROW UP! Most parks get maybe one new ride every year. Your getting three! True, they're used, but still. You should be thankful that your getting anything at all for 2009, considering that you just got Dominator.

--Robb

Dude chill. Since 2007 we've added a Proslide Tornado, a Proslide Mammoth, a second wavepool, a B&M Floorless(we've all been wanting a B&M forever at KD). 3 used flats is just fine and the ferris wheel if we get it would add some nice atmosphere to the grove section of the park. I think they'd do better at Carowinds. Since 2004......they've added their flyers, some other random flat that escapes my mind, a swimming pool, a kiddie water slide, a flat taken out and readded, a 2nd wavepool, swings, and next year a vekoma boomerang.....Kings Dominion has plenty of rides stop complaining. BGE gets a new ride every 2-5 years and they're doing just fine.

So, I guess im not stated to my own opinion, HUUH? I just don't see too many modern amusement/theme parks these days adding in Ferris Wheels, Flying carpets and Spiders... I just don't see it, but I guess that's just me. It will just take some time to grow on me.

I'm now beginning to think of the Late Geauga Lake as an organ Donor- Parks are getting new life into areas where they were once 'dying' as a result. KD has -always- been short of flat rides, ever since the early 90s saw the disappearance of the -much- beloved Schwartzkopf Enterprise (Apple Turnover) and the SkyPilot. KD has always seemed short in this respect, and I think a Ferris Wheel, amongst other flat rides will be -perfect- for the park.

There should NOT ONCE be a complaint about a park adding new rides, let alone three of them at once. Three in one year is GREAT. CedarFair has done wonders with KD in the few short years since they took over, and I'm now very satisfied with the upgrades to the parks. Now, if we could just encourage them a -little- further in adding a Hyper/Giga/TeraCoaster to the mix....

If KD was still my homepark I would be extremely grateful. You have to remember not everyone likes roller coasters!! Take for instance my Godson Matthew. He is 7 years old, and he is terrified of coasters, he won't even ride Mini Mine Train or Canyon Blaster. When SFoT received the 10 new flats in 2006 I was very happy. Who cares if they were hand me downs. I love seeing him ride these. It's fun to take be able to ride stuff together, such as the Huss Breakdancing Bulls we got from Great Adventure. I love seeing they joy in his face. To me, thats what it's all about!!

I think the fact that KD's kept Flight of Fear from moving to Carowinds, received Dominator this year, and will possibly get 3 rides next year (used or not) shows that Cedar Fair likes the park and the potential there. I'm sure we'll see something big transpire in either 2010 or 2011.

I thought I heard that the El dorado was in really bad shape and it was getting scraped.

I was at the park last night and they have already built a new building for Halloween in the old que for XLC and the XLC station is still there.

I would love to have the ferris wheel though.

IMO this is still a rumor as alot of CF parks could use more flats so I guess we will wait and see.

JEFF

In my opinion, this is far from confirmed, and comparing it to a Giant Frisbee addition is foolish.

The only thing a Giant Frisbee has in common with these three flats is that they are flats.

These are used flat rides the company already owns. I could almost guarantee that ANY new frisbee, giant or not, would cost far more than this would.

And, going back to 2007, if this were to go through KD would have gotten 7 new attractions in 3 years. Rapid expansion, even if most people agree CV is watering the place down.

From what I've heard the spider parts are already on site at KD,then again since KD once had a spider it may be those parts that someone spotted & not the GL ride parts.

I'll be going on the 26th so I'll look around that area while on board Grizzly & see what I can find out. I think that it's good to see KD adding more flats after getting a floorless this season,it just shows that CF is interested in the park & hopefully they'll see fit to add that rumored hyper for 2010 especially if the park continues to see the record attendance levels they've had so far this season.

I for one am really excited to see KD get a Ferris Wheel. The park is in dire need of classic charm, and a Ferris Wheel next to a couple of woodies is a damn good way to start. I can picture it now --- walking down the Grove late at night and seeing a brightly lit Ferris Wheel at the end of it.

Could these simple recycled rides revive some of KD's old-school charm? I think so...

I for one am really excited to see KD get a Ferris Wheel. The park is in dire need of classic charm, and a Ferris Wheel next to a couple of woodies is a damn good way to start. I can picture it now --- walking down the Grove late at night and seeing a brightly lit Ferris Wheel at the end of it.

Could these simple recycled rides revive some of KD's old-school charm? I think so...

I agree & out of the 3 rides they're rumored to get Americana is the one I'm looking forward to most mainly because it'll give the skyline a nice change & just imagine the views you can get from up there.

It almost makes up for the loss of the sky ride years ago.

I remember the first time I rode a Ferris wheel, it was at Hershey park and I liked the view, but I wonder what the other flats would be? I hope we get a Huss Giant Frissbie and a Chaos type ride aswell. But, I'd rather have them reinstall our old Splash Boat ride.

The other two rides are rumored to be El Dorado,a Huss Rainbow/Falling start type ride & the spider,which appears to be the same model that KD had back in the 70's/early 80's & not one of those polyp models like octopus at SFA.