TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

The breaks are trim breaks. They are not for valleying coasters, but rather to gently decelerate the coaster. Most of the time it is not even noticeable. Many B&M's have this, including Apollo at BGE. It allows for a more conferable ride.

Or a lamer ride.

I remember going to Geauga Lake (at the time SFWOA) when I was still afraid to ride roller coasters (scary thought). I'm still kicking myself in the @$$ for missing out on rides like Dominator (at the time Batman Knight Flight) and such.

Oh well, at least KD isn't that far...

^ Here's a picture from "The Big Mike Road Show 2008" thread. He said that he was there on 4/19/2008.

What I am curious about, though is what the seats on the trains will look like. Will the carved out Batman symbol still be there, if not, did they just fill the holes in or get brand new seats?

^ Here's a picture from "The Big Mike Road Show 2008" thread. He said that he was there on 4/19/2008.

What I am curious about, though is what the seats on the trains will look like. Will the carved out Batman symbol still be there, if not, did they just fill the holes in or get brand new seats?

The seats do kinda look new.

Well I do know when CF Purchased GL from SF they changed the name from Batman Night Flight to Dominator, and they melted the batman logo off the seats, lets hope they got new seats.

Yeah, I just laughed every time I turned around and saw that circular chunk taken out of the seat. As of last year (July 9th to be exact), they were still like that. The restraints are also a different color so I also wonder if those are new or just repainted.

I think,or at least hope that they put new seats on.

The reason for that is because,if you look at the seats on the train in the photo the color is entirely different from when the ride was at GL...it looks like the trains will be blue & orange rather than yellow & orange & purple to me as first shown in the diagram on coastercrew.

The original colors were purple seats/blue/purple frames/yellow restraints when SF built the ride in 2000 but CF obviously decided to change the colors & definitely for the better IMHO.

The original colors were purple seats/blue/purple frames/yellow restraints when SF built the ride in 2000 but CF obviously decided to change the colors & definitely for the better IMHO.

Yeah, the original colors were themed to Batman. Those definitely did't fit the name "Dominator," IMO. I really like the new colors.

Was at the Dominator site today filming a podcast and got some great pictures. It is very muddy at the site due to all the rain that has falling in the last week. They are still working hard to get things ready for testing, which they want to start the first week of May.

Station House

The entrance and exit of the ride will meet on the parking lot side of the coaster. But as you can see there are two sets of stairs on the back side, that lead to the front. Dont know if they will have two sets for every one to use or if one will be the exit and the other for employees.

Painting

There are three paint crews on site trying to finish up the painting. The fell a bit behind with that because of all the rain. You can see the different color of the loop compared to the other parts of the track.

You can find all these pictures in the Coaster Crew gallery.

As you can see one train is on site. They have it warped right now because of the painting. They also do not have any of the fiberglass on it. They are going to test with out that on. Before the ride opens they will then dress it up.

If you have any questions please feel free to email me coasterclint@coastercrew.com There are more pictures in the CC.com gallery under Park Albums > Kings Dominion > Dominator Construction Photos

Awesome update Clint thanks!

Those trains are SEXY!

I am so glad they did a COMPLETE overhaul of the trains (no sanded off batman symbol) I am sure once the painting is completed it will look brand new.

I am very excited now, hopefully a month away from riding it (again)

JEFF

White track, I cant really say what it is because I don't know. I do know that before and after the loop there is a part of the track that is white. So if it will stay that way I do not know.

Trees, Grass, bushes... They hope to have it all landscaped as soon as they can. They need to get most of the ride done first, so they can stop bringing in heavy equipment.

Also over half the walking path that goes behind Scooby is almost complete.

Are they going to have grass/trees by opening day?

Most new coasters do not have a lush green landscape under them right away. (It takes some time to grow) You can really tell that they do not want it to be like "Scream" at SFMM, (There is no Parking lot left under the ride) when you see it in person you can see the whole site Dominator sits on is about 6 feet deeper than the parking lot so there will definatly be an effort to landscape but I would not expect to see much on opening day. Most New coasters do not have grass under them right away.

JEFF

Looks like they used some leftover paint from Shockwave's color makeover in 2000. It should look good though, once the fiberglass is put on and it's not all purple.

I'm still wondering about the rails too... if they're not being painted, then the painters are doing a horrible job at painting around them. I can't imagine they would go back and do that after the track... but I've never painted a coaster before so I could be wrong.

Thanks for one of the best updates so far Clint,man those trains sure look sweet & finally the station is really starting to come together quite nicely compared to how it looked in the previous update.

I'm pretty sure that the white section of track is just a primer....SFA used a white primer on both JJ & ME prior to applying the new coats of paint to those two rides three years ago.I just HOPE that the loop isn't going to be yellow but I have a feeling it will be if you look at the spray that managed to find it's way onto the rails during the painting process.

Are they not even going to paint the supports...It seems like a ton of track has received a new paint job but the supports all seem to be the same color. I understand the color is part of the new paint scheme, but you'd at least hope they'd give it a fresh coat since they are trying to sell thsi coaster as being "NEW" for 2008.

White track, I cant really say what it is because I don't know. I do know that before and after the loop there is a part of the track that is white. So if it will stay that way I do not know.

Could it be that they are planning on doing a "color fade" effect from the yellow to the orange in that white section?? It would make sense to me.