TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Fun to see this coming together again. Thank God Dominator was saved.

I hope this is up before my visit there in June.

Should this be counted as new credit??

Dominator (GL)

Dominator (KD)???????

Hmmmm, If only they had changed the name...........

No! You can't deny that it is the EXACT SAME COASTER! Would you count it as new if they just moved it to a different part of the park, painted it blue, and called it Spork? You would not. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

If you count this as new, you're inflating your count and making it inaccurate.

Honestly, why does it matter? It's not like there is a prize for the person who has ridden the most. If they want to count it as a credit, then let them. Also, by using that logic, exact clones (like B:TR, Boomerangs, SLCs, etc.) shouldn't be counted either. I like to count relocated coasters as credits because of these reasons, plus the ones in my previous post:

1) The scenery around the coaster makes up part of the experience and new scenery is sort of like adding a new element.

2) I like to know if I've ridden a coaster at it's new location or not. If I don't count it and it's years down the road where I can't remember if I did or not, I like to be able to look at my list and see if I have.

PKDcoaster and Griffon:

Great Dominator photos!

My son and I were talking to you guys yesterday when you were shooting those pictures. They look great!

Josh and I have been watching the Dominator's progress almost daily, and we're pretty hyped about finally getting to ride it!

Nice to talk to you guys, and hope to see you at KD this year!

Take care!

Joe and Josh

Really great stuff.

ALMOST makes me regret not getting a KD season pass this year. Oh well, I'm still sick of CF.

I knew the skyline would change, but WOW, that looks so much different than it did last season. It makes Volcano look tiny, and that was always the biggest thing on that left side of the park when you look at it from the parking lot.

No! You can't deny that it is the EXACT SAME COASTER! Would you count it as new if they just moved it to a different part of the park, painted it blue, and called it Spork? You would not. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

If you count this as new, you're inflating your count and making it inaccurate.

Honestly, why does it matter? It's not like there is a prize for the person who has ridden the most. If they want to count it as a credit, then let them. Also, by using that logic, exact clones (like B:TR, Boomerangs, SLCs, etc.) shouldn't be counted either. I like to count relocated coasters as credits because of these reasons, plus the ones in my previous post:

1) The scenery around the coaster makes up part of the experience and new scenery is sort of like adding a new element.

2) I like to know if I've ridden a coaster at it's new location or not. If I don't count it and it's years down the road where I can't remember if I did or not, I like to be able to look at my list and see if I have.

Well, I really don't care if you do it, it just doesn't make sense to me that you would. And your exactly right about it not mattering in the long run, but I just like to be truthful in my count.

First of all, if you read my post, exact clones absolutely count, because they are not the exact same coaster (ie, X-Flight and Firehawk are one and the same - they are made up of the same molecules and everything, whereas X-Flight and Batwing are layed out the same, but they are made up of two different sets of metal).

It's nothing like a new element at all. The addition of an element changes the physical structure of the ride. Just putting it a new location does not. You wouldn't count it as new if they moved it to a different part of the park.

I can totally understand you wanting to know that you've ridden it, but you don't have to add it as a completely new ride to do that.

You're right that it really is minor, but like I said, I like to keep some integrity in my count, even if it doesn't mean anything.

^I don't think it's right to imply that counting relocated rides twice is deceitful or dishonest in keeping a coaster count. I don't want to get in a big debate over it (I haven't decided how I will count relocated coasters myself yet), but since there is no objective method of counting coasters, I am not a fan of anyone bad talking someone else's method as not "being truthful in [their] count" or not "keeping integrity in [their] count". They are truthful--they rode Dominator at two separate locations under two different operation techniques by two different sets of ops and maintenance crews. They consider those differences sufficient to consider it a new credit. You don't. Please don't imply they are wrong for their thoughts on a subjective matter.

In other news, great update! It was awesome watching most of the drop go up right before my eyes (as relayed to me through the pics). Fun times!

Well, I really don't care if you do it, it just doesn't make sense to me that you would. And your exactly right about it not mattering in the long run, but I just like to be truthful in my count.

First of all, if you read my post, exact clones absolutely count, because they are not the exact same coaster (ie, X-Flight and Firehawk are one and the same - they are made up of the same molecules and everything, whereas X-Flight and Batwing are layed out the same, but they are made up of two different sets of metal).

It's nothing like a new element at all. The addition of an element changes the physical structure of the ride. Just putting it a new location does not. You wouldn't count it as new if they moved it to a different part of the park.

I can totally understand you wanting to know that you've ridden it, but you don't have to add it as a completely new ride to do that.

You're right that it really is minor, but like I said, I like to keep some integrity in my count, even if it doesn't mean anything.

I know what an element is, you don't need to lecture me on it. Hence why I said, "sort of." I didn't say it's exactly the same as adding a new element. How do you know they didn't get B&M to manufacture a new piece of track or support for a certain area because the old one was in bad condition, or they damaged it during disassembly? That would essentially, then, make it a new credit. What about paint? Those aren't the "same molecules."

You can do as you please and not count it, but I am still going to count Firehawk as a different credit than X-Flight, as, in my opinion, having a different color scheme and being in a new setting is enough for it to qualify as a new credit because the concept is no different than a clone.

The park is advertising it with the largest loop, but I don't think it really is the largest anymore.

For a floorless coaster,yes it still holds the record but who cares about such things when in the end the ride will still be a good one that will attract many people to the park?

Parking lot or no parking lot, let's hope they don't keep it closed and testing for 6 weeks until every flower along the access path is in perfect alignment with the sun... like some other park I know

Seriously, if they've already torn up the parking lot they will need to do some sort of landscaping underneath- otherwise it will be a big dust cloud. And at that point I would say no it doesn't count as a parking lot coaster.