TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I can't believe you guys are getting all hyped up about the name! Making fun of Cedar Fair is pretty much the stupidest thing I've ever heard! You guys must have forgotten about the train wreck of naming we have at Six Flags:

-Fourteen coasters named by Six Flags using "Batman"

-Twelve coasters named by Six Flags using "Superman"

-Seven Six Flags coasters using "Boomerang"

-Six coasters named by Six Flags using "Viper"

-Six coasters named by Six Flags using "Road Runner Express"

-Five Six Flags coasters using "Goliath"

-Five coasters named by Six Flags using "Canyon Blaster"

-Five coasters named by Six Flags using "Mind Eraser"

-Four Six Flags coasters using "Tony Hawk" plus one water slide

-Four coasters named by Six Flags using "Shockwave"

-Three Six Flags coasters using "Medusa"

-Three Six Flags coasters using "Dark Knight"

-Three Six Flags coasters using "Rolling Thunder"

-Three coasters named by Six Flags using "Déjà Vu"

-Three Six Flags coasters using "Ninja"

-Three coasters named by Six Flags using "Cyclone"

-Three Six Flags coasters using "Flashback"

-Two Six Flags coasters using "Roar"

-Two Six Flags coasters using "Great American Scream Machine"

-Two Six Flags coasters using "Roller Skater"

-Two Six Flags coasters using "Mr. Freeze"

-Two Six Flags coasters using "Vertical Velocity"

-Two Six Flags coasters using "Vampire"

And you cant forget about the ever so unique:

-"Batwing"

-"Wild One"

-"Cobra"

-"Demon"

-"X"

-"X2"

-"T2"

-"Scream!"

-"Thunderbolt"

-"Mine Train"

Yea, I'm pretty sure SFI's naming squad is WAY worse than CFE's. Grow up... Slow news day.

Ok, I don't understand why so many people trash Hypersonic. I rode it this fall for the first time and I loved it. If we weren't credit whoring that day, I would have ridden it several more times. It did not hit the back of my head and I thought that it was very comfortable. People talk so much trash about it and if they would just keep their head against the head rest like told then I am sure there wouldn't be a problem. It might be different if it was the GA Cyclone or the Hurler, but it's not. I just feel like so many people on this site look for a reason to bitch about the smallest things. Enjoy what you have while you have it and stop being bitchy!

^ When I rode it, I did keep my head back. Then the trims on the spike threw me forward. Then it threw me back on the way down. Then it just kind of tossed me all over the place the rest of the way. So, yea, I tried to keep my head back like it said. But it was kind of impossible.

Ok, I don't understand why so many people trash Hypersonic. I rode it this fall for the first time and I loved it.

I'm confused as to which Hypersonic at Kings Dominion you might have ridden. It's absolute crap and removing it would not only add the potential for a new coaster but it would also make the surrounding area more open while not sounding like a train wreck during the off chance that Hypersonic is running consistently.

As for the name changes, yea I think they could be a lot better. Even Dominator is a pretty lame name. I'm guessing maybe the parks don't put a big emphasis on it because most of the general public end up mispronouncing the heck out of them or just make up their own pronunciations anyway.

I can't believe you guys are getting all hyped up about the name! Making fun of Cedar Fair is pretty much the stupidest thing I've ever heard! You guys must have forgotten about the train wreck of naming we have at Six Flags:

-"Batwing"

-"Wild One"

-"Cobra"

-"Demon"

-"X"

-"X2"

-"T2"

-"Scream!"

-"Thunderbolt"

-"Mine Train"

Yea, I'm pretty sure SFI's naming squad is WAY worse than CFE's. Grow up... Slow news day.

I sense a little fanboyism. And by alittle i mean a lot. Umm the reason why they name all those rides the same names is because it saves money. Why make 5 different merchandise lines when you can make one line for 5 rides. Its not stupid its actually good business sense.

-"Batwing"

-"Wild One"

-"Cobra"

-"Demon"

-"X"

-"X2"

-"T2"

-"Scream!"

-"Thunderbolt"

-"Mine Train"

I sense a little fanboyism. And by a little i mean a lot. Umm the reason why they name all those rides the same names is because it saves money. Why make 5 different merchandise lines when you can make one line for 5 rides. Its not stupid its actually good business sense.

I sense a little fanboyism. And by a little i mean a lot. Umm the reason why they name all those rides the same names is because it saves money. Why make 5 different merchandise lines when you can make one line for 5 rides. Its not stupid its actually good business sense.

"Fanboyism"??? No. More like being normal. Anyone who makes fun of CF has to make fun of SF just as much. Sure CF's ride names aren't the most original, but its nothing to gripe about, and as I showed, SF is a tad bit worse... and by a tad I mean A TON.

-Justin "You're just looking for a way to put me down because you know I'm right" Seabaugh

PS- If I was a CF fanboy then I wouldn't have a SFStL season pass, I'd have one to WOF instead. I don't even plan on going to WOF next season.

^ & ^^ Alllllll-righty then...

What if both views were somewhat right? SF has a lot of repeat names. Yes. When clones are named the same, I think it's an OK idea because it is easy to identify which particular ride is being discussed (Batman: TR, Superman: UF, Goliath (maybe not a clone, but still hypers except the new one), etc). I have no problems with clones being named the same because it simplifies it. What I don't like is when two (or more) totally different coasters have the same name (Viper, Medusa, GASM, etc). Then it's just confusing. As for CF, they are hit or miss with originality...usually miss...

But the name doesn't make the ride. the track does. And Dominator will still be the longest floorless built by one of the greatest (the greatest?) manufacturer. It will be a great addition, regardless of name.

All of you who are harping about Six Flags' ride names seem to forget that:

Four Disney parks have rides called Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

Five Disney parks have rides called Space Mountain.

Three Disney parks have rides called Splash Mountain.

The only people I ever see complaining about this are coaster geeks and credit whores! I'll bet that if some random Six Flags park didn't have a Batman--The Ride, for instance, a lot of people visiting would wonder, "Where is Batman?"

See, these rides have become trademarks of the parks. When the average person/family visits a Six Flags or a (former) Paramount park, they expect certain rides to be there. As I've said many times, reusing names, artwork, ride designs saves money and increases profit---the main reason the park is in business.

Parks are in business to make money, not satisfy enthusiasts.

Eric

Im not a huge fan of the crypt name since it is an outdoor ride, but the backlot name I think works just fine! I agree that having the same name for different types of rides shoudl be a no-no. But CF is also guilty of that

Dominator: It is a floorless coaster at Kings Dominion and an S&S Tower at Worlds of Fun

Thunderhawk: A wooden coaster at Dorney, and an SLC at Michigan's Adventure

To an extent, you could say that the two Crypt rides at Kings Island and Kings Dominion are different. One is indoor, has a less traditional top spin program and more traditional in seating, while the other is outdoor, has a more tradional top spin program and has back-to-back seating.

While I am all about originality, I am not completly against some similarities. I rode Batman the ride at Great Adventure and loved it, which leads me to think that the other BTR's should/could be just as good.

Gary T.

Quick note on repeat names...clones with repeat names are fine in my book, like Disney's and several 6 Flags' (as I already mentioned). Anyway...

So now the question is how long will it be before KI changes the names, and to what? Will they completely redo the names like KD or just take out movie reference parts like they have on so many other rides (drop zone, FOF, Face/Off).

And I think the name Back( )Lot Stunt Coaster is sort of long and tedious. Why not just Backlot?

I don't mind identical names for identical (or almost identical) coasters...

What chuffs me, though, is having a Viper wooden cyclone, a Viper Arrow 7-looper, a Viper Schwarzkopf shuttle, a Viper TOGO heartline crapcoaster, a Viper Schwarzkopf looping star.... have I forgotten one?

Not just the same name, but the same freakin logo!

That's pushing it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too far, IMHO.

As for folks expecting a certain ride, that can happen.... but folks will show up at Fiesta Texas and ask "where's the Batman?" and be told "oh, it's over there under the sign that says Goliath".

At least with Big Thunder Mountain, you know basically what to expect when you get in line. Same with Splash Mountain. Space Mountain, while totally different from park to park is still going to be an indoor rocket-themed coaster. No problems there.

But go to a SF park you're unfamiliar with and someone says "wanna go ride Viper?" and you haven't got a freaking clue what you're going to end up on.

Oh, and while I'm still on my soapbox: if you're going to clone a name, at least make it a good one. "Scream!"?????? WTF?

I don't mind identical names for identical (or almost identical) coasters...

What chuffs me, though, is having a Viper wooden cyclone, a Viper Arrow 7-looper, a Viper Schwarzkopf shuttle, a Viper TOGO heartline crapcoaster, a Viper Schwarzkopf looping star.... have I forgotten one?

That Viper thing is bizarre, but only enthusiasts are going to notice or care. The lion's share of Six Flags' clientèle are GP types who talk in line about loops on woodies, a supposed 500 foot coaster in Japan, and how 75 people died on a given ride last week. Consequently, this wildly inconsistent nomenclature probably matters little in the end.

Well looks like it might be official now.

I had heard a report a couple weeks ago that XLC was being dismantled but I wanted to wait till a little more evidence surfaced.

XLC has been removed from the website (but the Dominator headline still advertises it as the 14th coaster....probably an oversight)

http://www1.cedarfair.com/kingsdominion/attractions/category.cfm?ac_id=13

I can see XLC's hill from the Train (Amtrak) and as of last week it was still standing but this is starting to look like a reality now.

It was fun the 1st couple of times but it has really got old quick...oh well.

JEFF

That is horrible news! I really wanted to go on it. Oh well, no reason to sign up for the East Coast trip now!

I hope you are kidding. While it is an awesome experience going 0-80mph in under 2 seconds, the rest of the ride is just total crap now. even the big hill has got very violent this year.

Trust me....there are sooo many better coasters than XLC on the East coast.

JEFF

AHA!!! So it's your fault they have been getting rid of all the Viper coasters! I knew it!!!

They've gotten rid of what, three of them now? All to please Jim! Damn, man, how do I get that kind of pull?

--Robb

I'm Glad i got to ride it 2 years ago personally, it was a awesome experience going 0.80 in 2 seconds like you said PKDcoaster, and it was a fun one or two ride coaster, but after 2 rides i wouldn't be hurrying to get back in line for awhile, hopefully this makes that area of the park look a little nicer, cause it sticks out like a sore thumb.

That is horrible news! I really wanted to go on it. Oh well, no reason to sign up for the East Coast trip now! Despite H:XLC being gone, hopefully the awesome force that is Dodonpa will continue to thrill for years to come.

Quite honestly, Hypersonic would have been one of the lesser coasters on the east coast trip. I hope that you really would not go on the trip simply for this reason. The first 4 seconds of Hypersonic were fun, the rest not so much.

Have to agree, interesting launch but just didnt live up to the hype. I havent checked but is HyperXLC still listed on the site it was for sale on. I wonder if this time its for real and that they are going to remove the ride finally.

I thougt Stan Checketts of S&SPower should buy it back and put it at his small family park up in Utah.

^^You hope I don't go? Oh well, I always thought you were a nice guy.

LOL you silly! That's not what he meant! He meant that he hopes Hypersonic isn't the main reason you would want to go on the trip, because it is not that great.

Which I'd have to agree to. I didn't care for most of the coasters at King's Dominion, and Hypersonic was no exception. I rode it this past fall, and the kid in front of us was saying to his friend something like, "You can feel your heart stop." LOL. The launch was very intense and fun, but the rest of the ride was not that great, and the seats were awful. Good riddance, put something better there!