TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Oh sweet! It's going to be the longest Floorless coaster in the world! Isn't there a coaster in Northsouthern Ohio that currently has that title?

I think so...and I think it is very similar to this coaster!

So KD's first Beemer is a hand-me-down.

I would rather have an 8 year old hand me down B&M than one that was designed today.

If we got a custom one it would probably be along the same lines and size as Hydra. (fun but not thrilling).

When I rode Dominator in late August it was still running Great and seemed to be maintained well. some Rattling but that seems to be normal on floorless coasters and inverts that do not have a full train.

JEFF

I have a question.

Since Dominator was at GL, and it was built into the terrain (the lake), wouldn't the ride need some new supports?

Just curious.

They usually just modify (elevate or lower) the foundations to match the previous locations. but as you can see it was built on one elevation.

Looking at the station without the cheesy Wayne manor theme. I hope we get a newer more open station design, otherwise that station will get very hot in the summer with only 4 small openings to vent the humid air out.

edit: Another thing I was thinking about, I don't know if Dominator is still the longest. It seems like Superman in Madrid is a longer Floorless but the length is not listed in its stats http://www.rcdb.com/id1366.htm

any body know the length of this floorless?

JEFF

domfound.jpg.93723aac1702996f1bfc01cc1356a30f.jpg

edit: Another thing I was thinking about, I don't know if Dominator is still the longest. It seems like Superman in Madrid is a longer Floorless but the length is not listed in its stats http://www.rcdb.com/id1366.htm

any body know the length of this floorless?

I believe that it is around 4,000 feet, so I think Dominator is longer by about 200-150 ft.

I believe that it is around 4,000 feet, so I think Dominator is longer by about 200-150 ft.

after some research, another coaster site listed it as 1200M which comes to about 3,973 feet which is close but just looking at the 2 it seems like Superman is longer....oh well

JEFF

after some research, another coaster site listed it as 1200M which comes to about 3,973 feet which is close but just looking at the 2 it seems like Superman is longer....oh well

JEFF

With coasters, you can never tell "just by looking."

I used to think Mantis looked a lot longer than The Riddler's Revenge. Turns out Riddler is a good 470 feet of track longer than Mantis.

I'm glad KD is getting a good coaster (sounds like it needs one badly) and I like Dominator Knight Flight, however not renaming it kinda cheapens the whole "newness" of the addition in a way and still makes me feel "meh" about the park. Used to LOVE KD and want to feel that strongly again, but it just ain't happenin' yet. Hard to explain, but a bit of a toss up.

And the only paint job I'll mention is the craziness on Shockwave. Noddalookinsogood.

Anyway, congrats to KD, regardless of my useless opinions.

I'm just curious to know what the local visitors of KD would like to see as Dominator's paint scheme if it were to get one. I always kind of liked the yellow and blue when I rode the ride in Ohio, but opinions are just that, what do you think would look on it in its new home?

I think the same colors would be cool, it just definately needs to be re-painted.

I think its a good addition to this park. They dont even have a B&M so this works for them. well dang. Two years ago, who would have thought of Dominator going to PKD?

I am not too worried about the name, for I like the name Dominator too. Like others here have said, I am glad KD is getting a coaster with a traditional lift and some capacity. I also think that is going to be great to see both Volcano and Dominator in the view driving up to the park. I wonder if they are going to fill it with sand to make it quiet or if they are going to let that puppy roar! Either way, I will deffinatly be heading up there to give it another ride (rode it at Geauga before)

^I was thinking that is what KD needed. After four launchers, you need some lifts. This park nnede a good steel non-launched coaster and that is what it got.

They probably won't fill it with sand unless there is a noise problem in the area (i.e. Dueling Dragons, Talon, Hydra, etc.).

Believe it or not there are about 6 homes on a road right behind Volcano and it is Unbelievable how LOUD it is back there. Imagine hearing the Tomb raider theme every 3 mins Blasting less than a block away and then the fire effects on Volcano are very loud too. I guess they do not complain though or they have some great soundproofing.

JEFF

They probably won't fill it with sand unless there is a noise problem in the area (i.e. Dueling Dragons, Talon, Hydra, etc.).

There isn't a noise problem at WOF and Patriot got the silent treatment...

There isn't a noise problem at WOF and Patriot got the silent treatment...

No. PATRIOT is no where near any residential neighbors. The park has buffer areas all around it. To the south is industrial -- who cares there if the park is loud. To the west is I-435 -- seriously the traffic will be louder. To the north is the parking lot and north of that is a cemetary -- I'm pretty sure the dead won't care too much. Then to the East is all undeveloped land that the park owns.

Isn't filling B&M track the norm anymore anyway?