TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

What an interesting off season! Definatly NOT boring with all of this weird and un-expected news going on!

But this move doesn't really surprise me. I'll be anxcious to see if someone will eat this up immediatly or it stays at the park for a while, and if that does happen, I wonder if the park will close and tear it down.

I'm not overly sad to see Hypersonic leaving the park. It's really just a gimick coaster built to break records at the time but it has now been left behind by more modern and better coasters even at its own park.

I can't really see it being replaced by a Stealth clone. Enthusiasts may be able to distinguish between the two coasters but to the average park goer, it's a short launched coaster with a talll vertical hill being replaced by a short launch coaster with a tall vertical hill.

The park needs more coasters with a lifthill and coasters of decent length. So I say a B&M multilooper

^ What he said. The guests at KD that I've heard from seem pretty sick of launched coasters (and most of them don't like Hypersonic much), so "launch and then nothing" rides would fall flat in a park that already has two very well-liked launched coasters in Volcano and Flight of Fear.

Another point to support that is that KD currently doesn't have any coasters with more than 4 inversions, although some of the general public still fall for what marketing may have said a while ago about Anaconda's "6 loops". A 7-inversion floorless would be a very good ride to put somewhere in KD, either in the XLC/Extreme Skyflyer area or in the currently unused land behind Anaconda's lift hill.

^Perhaps a two-for-the-price-of-one-sale is in order. Shockwave also suffers from low capacity, and it has a retraint system built for Togo by Marquis de Sade Industries.

Et tu, Chuck?

I thought we were friends!

-James "And a sobbing Julia" Dillaman

Well, it is fun when you ride in the very front, James. I do give it that. Especially is hold uo your hands like claws and roar like a monster through the loop.

I can't really see it being replaced by a Stealth clone. Enthusiasts may be able to distinguish between the two coasters but to the average park goer, it's a short launched coaster with a talll vertical hill being replaced by a short launch coaster with a tall vertical hill.

The park needs more coasters with a lifthill and coasters of decent length. So I say a B&M multilooper

A voice of reason. And no "ageism" applies here either. You are wise beyond your years, my friend.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's definitely running right now, or at least it was on opening day.

I would like to see it go, and put nothing in it's place. That whole area of the Grove seems a little crowded anyway... if they would take it out, it would seem a little nicer over there. There's already four other coasters touching that small area anyway, so taking XLC out won't hurt at all. My 2 cents worth

ScreamScape posted this on April 2, 2007:

While Hypersonic is still listed as being for sale at the ITAL International website, we’ve also heard that Kings Dominion may be setting their own plans to remove Hypersonic sometime after Labor Day Weekend no matter if it has been sold or not. Anyone know more or is this just wild speculation just because the ride has been put on the market?

I can't wait to see the demolition of the coaster start!

• 6 months later...

http://www1.cedarfair.com/kingsdominion/news/detail.cfm?item_id=651

Record Breaking Roller Coaster Planned for Kings Dominion in 2008

KINGS DOMINION, Virginia – Kings Dominion will soar to new heights in 2008 with the introduction of its 14th roller coaster, Dominator. Debuting in late spring, this innovative 4,210-foot steel coaster will be the longest floorless coaster in the world and have the tallest roller coaster loop.

Riders will board the coaster on the east side of International Street, just behind the park’s Berserker ride. Once seated, guests begin their journey with a short, twisted U-turn and climb the 161 foot-tall lift hill. After the 32 passenger train crests the top of the lift, riders are sent flying down a 157 foot drop, eventually speeding into the gut-wrenching, record-breaking vertical loop, which stands 135 feet tall. Four additional inversions will follow during Dominator’s two minute and six second, adrenaline pumping experience.

“Kings Dominion is known for having one of the country’s widest varieties of roller coasters,” said Pat Jones, Kings Dominion’s vice president and general manager. “Dominator is the perfect definition of the word “thrill” and reflects our commitment to combining one-of-a-kind attractions with fantastic family entertainment. We’re looking for some real thrill seekers who are up for the challenge and ready to take total control their ride experience.”

Dominator joins a portfolio of 13 industry-leading roller coasters including Volcano, The Blast Coaster, Flight of Fear (the world’s first coaster with LIM launch technology), Anaconda, The Grizzly and the Rebel Yell.

Kings Dominion will open in 2008 for weekend operation on Saturday, March 22. Daily operation begins Saturday, May 24. Water Works Water Park opens Saturday, May 24. For more information, guests can call the park at (804) 876-5000 or visit online at www.kingsdominion.com.

Season Passes, which include free parking in 2008, are now on sale at the park, by calling (800) 553-PASS (7277) or online at www.kingsdominion.com. Discounted park tickets also are available when purchased in advance online at www.kingsdominion.com.

Kings Dominion is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “FUN.” In addition to Kings Dominion, Cedar Fair owns and operates ten other amusement parks, six water parks, one indoor water park resort, and five hotels. Cedar Fair also owns and operates Star Trek: The Experience, an interactive adventure located in Las Vegas, and operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in Gilroy, Calif. under a management contract.

It sorta ticks me off that they aren't changing the name. Cedar Fair is being REALLY cheap about that lately.

Atleast Six Flags occasionally changed the names of rides that got moved around because of the ride rotation program... Maybe it will atleast get new paint.

Give him a break.

He's a 6th grader.

From Minnesota.

I'm a 7th grader.

That made me laugh. Thanks for that.

That made me feel better lol lol. Well before this thread gets closed I might as well contribute. I wonder if it will get a new color scheme.