TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Why does anything have to replace either one of the two in either place they now occupy? Doesn't the park own hundreds of acres with which to expand? (I think I remember reading something to that effect a while back)

I'm still going on record as saying CF has a golden opportunity with this property to turn it into the Cedar Point of the east coast. Remove some of the "lesser" rides, make a few bucks off of them if possible, and then build quality stuff after that. A couple lodging options perhaps? Then maybe a huge new coaster?

Maybe I'm way off, and giving CF more credit than they deserve, but I'm actually really rooting for them to turn this park into something great, regardless of the two thousand trash cans soon to follow.

I’m wondering too whether the ride will be operated next year if it’s not sold. Obviously it doesn’t have a good reputation around the industry if another one hasn’t been built, so I’d be interested to see what the chances are that someone will invest in it.

It’s also obvious that the main problems with the ride are in the design, therefore it’s not something the park can fix and make more enjoyable. They replaced the trains nearly every year, and even had custom ones made, and reliability never really seemed to improve.

My feeling is that the reason Paramount didn't take it out is because the general public genuinely seemed to think it was the most thrilling ride in the park. I didn’t visit the park very often over the last couple years and that perception could have changed between then and now, but I remember being in the park a few years ago and everyone would talk about how fast and cool “Supersonic” was.

Not only was it intense, but it was also a thrill because most people didn’t know if they would even be fortunate enough to ride it on any particular day given the capacity and reliability. If they did make it onto the ride, and all the way back to the station without getting stalled in one of the ten thousand block brakes, it not only gave a thrill but a sense of accomplishment.

I have no reason to knock Paramount, but I’m impressed that Cedar Fair has the balls to come in and recognize that the ride truly is a total hunk of crap, and that taking it out and (hopefully) eventually replacing it with something of higher quality down the road might actually improve the park's overall image and guest experience. I’m not saying the general public’s opinions should be ignored in situations like this, I just think this halfway proves that Cedar Fair is interested in improving the park’s overall quality which leaves the potential for them to build something better and make all of us happy down the road.

A couple lodging options perhaps? Then maybe a huge new coaster?

I think when the park first opened under KECO's ownership, the park owned a hotel nearby called the King's Quarters or something? I think it was sold off some time later to a hotel operator.

If you ask me of what would replace Hypersonic, I would think a B&M Flyer would do great in that spot. Theme it decently and make sure it has an intense layout (like Tatsu's), we'd have a winner for the park.

For those interested- It is still standing as of today (12-15-06) with no visable cranes in the area.

I highly doubt they will replace it with a rocket coaster. The park BADLY needs a ride with capacity and reliability. This park has NO problems with Height restrictions yet the tallest coaster (XLC) is 165ft They really need a hyper coaster, or a solid big coaster (no gimmick) The last major NON-launched coaster was Hurler in 1994.

Most people that go to PKD say "I guess they don't make coasters with chains anymore"

JEFF

Hypersonic was 0-82 in 1.8, right? This could be like, 0-100 in 2.3 or something around there! That would be an almost-Dodonpa launch, but about 10 MPH slower and an extra half-second to get to that speed.

Would that work? I'm trying to imagine a coaster like that fit into the area, and I THINK it could fit...anyone know if it would fit?

I could see that happening, but if Maverick works out with the LSM motors (5-70 in i think 2 or 3 seconds, not sure), I would bet Cedar Fair would want Intamin to use thoes instead of the cable launch thats caused who knows how many problems. Heck it's three years later and TTD still doesnt work all the time.

I'm kind of glad it's going. I've never liked anything about it (location, sensation, noise, capacity). As cool as it would be to have a proper rocket coaster a la Stormrunner, I don't think another launcher is in order. Put me down for a B&M hyper or Intamin mega if you want me to be a bit realistic. But the hopeless dreamer and fanboy in me squishes his eyes and hopes for a Gravity Group terrain woodie back into some of the undeveloped acreage (Beast sans brakes meets Voyage).

Alright, i have done some thinking,

and while i think it would be bad for the park, and Cedar Fair to go ahead with this, i don't really mind it, because it will just go to another park in the states, or overseas somewhere, and i don't really mind.

Also, i made the mistake in assuming Donopona was the same size as Hypersonic XLC.

This is pretty interesting. Busch Gardens Europe (which is practically next door) is getting their MAJOR roller coaster Griffon (which is just going to blow everyone away) so it seems practical for King's Dominion to do SOMETHING to compete against BGE.

Personally, i think that the current wave pool is crap. The waves arn't really waves, the're just swells. Hopefully this new wavepool will have acutally waves on par with Typhoon Lagoon's wave pool.

Wont it be wierd to have two wave pools in one water park? they are probably going to get rid of the current one and put something else there as the new wave pool gets settled in.

I agree with the person who said it should be replaced with an Intamin Rocket Coaster like Stealth at Thorn Park. Two days ago at PKDPlace I said...

If they removed Volcano, attendence would problay drop dramaticly. Flight of Fear needs to stay because it's so awsome. Italian Job is new so yeah...HyperSonic needs to go...I want it replaced with a mini version of Top Thrill Dragster like Stealth at Thorn Park.

Then I found someone on here who thought the same thing as me. Im really looking forward to what will replace it. Hopefully, it will be the clone of Stealth at Thorn Park. ^_^

^^ It's actually called Thorpe Park, just thought I'd let you know that.

I hope that Hypersonic will operate for next season because I'm heading down there this summer if plans go as I hope. But I do think it is a good move by Cedar Fair to remove it because of high maintenance costs, low capacity, etc.

If they do remove it I hope they put an Intamin hyper or giga in somewhere in the park. I think that that would be the best move for the park. This is why I think so: they need a tall ride that stands out from the others, they are high capacity rides, it would be the only coaster in the park with length to it, and they already have enough launched coasters. Also I think it would be an Intamin because Apollo's Chariot is very close to the park so they need something different to pull in the crowds.

I feel stupid now...Haha...I always thought it was "Thorn Park." I don't read carefully. But thanks for correcting me on that.

Yep...An intamin would go best in HyperSonic's spot...If they do get a clone like Stealth at "Thorpe" (yes I got it right this time) Park, then maybe PKD will still be able to keep the "launch Coaster Capital of The World" slogan.

^ That's a good point with the "launch Coaster Capital of the World" I totally forgot about that. I think that a stealth clone would do great in Hypersonic's place, but they should definitely add to it. Make it maybe 250-300 feet tall and 85-100 mph in about 3 seconds, also add an extra bunny hill and an overbanked turn. That would be awesome.

Oh yeah don't feel stupid I make mistakes like that all the time and your welcome!