TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So uhhhhh this photo is making the rounds this morning. Anyone got any info?

grizzly.thumb.jpg.80e5e81ddcbfd7e0775ab28a4694a43f.jpg

Fire? It doesn't look burned/charred. Collapse? Structurally compromised? RMC? Hit by a small aircraft? 🤣 Eaten by a large animal? 

1 hour ago, boldikus said:

So uhhhhh this photo is making the rounds this morning. Anyone got any info?

Fire? It doesn't look burned/charred. Collapse? Structurally compromised? RMC? Hit by a small aircraft? 🤣 Eaten by a large animal? 

If there is any justice in the world, it was struck with a wrecking ball.

• Sad 1

As someone who worked at BGW for years, I know that Jan/Feb/March can be cold and rainy. I don't think it would be much fun visiting these parks when it's so cold outside.
When I lived in Japan in 2001, I'd often visit parks on the weekends when the temps were in the 30s and there was snow on the ground. Fun? Eh...not really.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coasterbill said:

People like different things. I'd much rather go to a park when it's 35 (if coasters are running) than go to any Orlando park in the summer. You can dress for cold.

Exactly. I've always had the mantra "You can put more layers on, you can only take so many off!"

• Like 3

I'm with Elissa on this; you can always bundle up for the cold, but there's no escaping sweltering heat.

I'm very curious what the ride lineup is going to look like during these winter months, especially given CF's reluctance to operate rides outside of manufacturer recommendations.  Last Winterfest they shut down Dominator when it hit 40 degrees.

• Like 2

This is excellent news, and actually a little surprising (the writing has been on the wall for Carowinds for years). I guess with BGW year-round and putting in coaster after coaster, maybe Kings Dominion is waking up!

Even if their headliners are down for maintenance and/or weather, the park being open with some rides is better than closed altogether.

Can't bundle up for the cold when you barely fit the restraints, tho.... had to take off my jacket for some holiday in the park rides at SFGADV when it was sub 30 degrees... that was .. uh.. cold... but I realize that's my problem and not everyone else's :-)

Curious what the ride lineup will look like.

17 hours ago, SharkTums said:

Exactly. I've always had the mantra "You can put more layers on, you can only take so many off!"

I'm sure it will be much more tolerable in the US than Japan. When we went to Fuji-Q Highland park in December 2003, they would not allow any loose articles on the coaster. And by loose articles they meant ski hats, scarves, and gloves. So we rode Dodonpa in 30 degree weather with NO hats or gloves. THAT was torture!

• Haha 2

Did they not make an announcement for year round operations for King Island? I feel like that's the park in the market where it makes the most sense compared to Carowinds and KD, similar climate to KD but a much more well run and attended park. Maybe they just haven't made their announcement yet.

I have less confidence in this working out here than at Carowinds, but I'm glad to see them trying something bold. The climate is fine for it, but is the demand there? BGW is a very different park that appeals to very different people and has a lot more to offer on a day with sub-optimal weather.

PS: Watch them "Cedar Fair" this up and not run Flight of Fear for some reason.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Hilltopper39 said:

Did they not make an announcement for year round operations for King Island? I feel like that's the park in the market where it makes the most sense compared to Carowinds and KD, similar climate to KD but a much more well run and attended park. Maybe they just haven't made their announcement yet.

Cincy's average high is 10 degrees colder in January and they average 3x the snow annually that Richmond does. Plus Cincy can sometimes get in on that bullshit Arctic cold that the midwest gets but usually modifies before reaching the east.

Similar places in the summer but winters are very different.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Hilltopper39 said:

I think what we fail to realize is parks don't compete/compare to other parks, they do to themselves.  KI may have more attendance than, say, Carowinds, BUT carowinds has been showing record growth year after year.  Percentages matter more than hard numbers which is why carowinds has been getting the pork.  Also are you aware of the temps in north and south carolina in jan and feb?  It barely gets 30 degrees lol.  

• Like 1

Spent almost 8 hours in the park Saturday. I got a lot of laps on TT. Only got I305 once as it was being fickle. I returned at one point for re-rides and the line was backed up to the entry bridge/tunnel and the FL+ line was back to the entry attendant. I knew the crowds would pick up in the evening for the haunts, but wow! Glad we had FL+ I also rode Windseeker and you could see that a lot of track has been removed from Grizzly. The haunt lines were insane. I've never done one and wasn't about to start. The french fry stands were insanely busy. Do they put crack in the fry salt?

The locker system at TT is awful, just like its big brother in Sandusky. The queue for TT at times was almost to the entrance attendant. I noticed the wait time sign only goes up to 75+ minutes. My daughter and I had a great day due to Twisted Timbers and FL+ Our first four rides or so were walk-on or a station wait. We probably waited 20 minutes at the longest for a ride on TT.

ETA: I don't think I've ever seen that many people smoking in the park, even back when they had smoking sections. People weren't even trying to hide it and even congregating to smoke and I never saw a park employee say anything.

8 hours ago, hoppedup said:

ETA: I don't think I've ever seen that many people smoking in the park, even back when they had smoking sections. People weren't even trying to hide it and even congregating to smoke and I never saw a park employee say anything.

In the smokers' defense, KD did not create a smoking zone inside the park during the "No-Reentry during Haunt" period, as every other CF park did, so it's kinda on the park - they didn't leave any option for smokers.  When I was there at the end of September, several security officers told me they thought it was dumb too, and just told me to not smoke right in front of them.

• 2 weeks later...