TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, VegasBaby said:

Thanks for the advice, I will hold off purchasing it and just see how the lines are.  I think we'll get there early and hit Tumbili first.

Yeah, what everyone else said.  You shouldn't need FL.  Is this your first trip to the park?  If so, I would hit Reptilian first, since its capacity is HORRIBLE, then Tumbili, then duck back up into the kids area for Woodstock Express (I always feel less weird in the morning when there's not a full queue of kids), then Flight of Fear (not the greatest capacity, and always gets a longer line than most everything else), then Apple Zapple (another horrible throughput ride, if you care about getting the credit), and then Twisted Timbers.  Then go about the day as you see fit.

Let me know if you want row recommendations or any other tips; KD isn't the closest park to me but I consider it my "home" park.

On 4/10/2022 at 5:39 PM, CP_RULES said:

Am I the only one that gets rocked like a baby to sleep on these rides?

I quite like the rides, though I totally get why some wouldn't. 

Unrelated, going to KD today, realized that when I checked my Platinum Pass renewal email I had nothing to print, not even a bar code to scan just "its active" I do see no date is on the pass itself. Do I simply just provide the pass at the park and all is good? (with photo ID ofc)

3 hours ago, JJLehto said:

I quite like the rides, though I totally get why some wouldn't. 

Unrelated, going to KD today, realized that when I checked my Platinum Pass renewal email I had nothing to print, not even a bar code to scan just "its active" I do see no date is on the pass itself. Do I simply just provide the pass at the park and all is good? (with photo ID ofc)

Yeah, if you renewed a previously existing season pass, it is automatically activated for this year (along with any season add-ons you purchased for 2022).  You won't even need photo ID, just the card (or scan from the your phone) will suffice.

• Like 1

Yup, was super easy!

There was a surprisingly small crowd at gate open, got to Twisted Timbers for the 2nd train of day, 4 rides in 40 minutes. Hopped over to Racer then I305, did 4 in a row before I had my fill. Grabbed Tumbili for the credit, though I do like the ride, a spin on Dominator and called it a day. I was so beat from the sun and cumulative walking from these days, so got an early start on heading to DC. Also platinum pass I don't feel quite the same urge to do everything. 

God TT is amazing. I think it's gunna end up being #2 just behind SV, the airtime, pace, layout is all just perfect. And I305 finally after 9 years and a lift hill breakdown got back on this beast. Wow, I forgot just how truly insane this ride is. I love it but holy hell that thing is the upper limit. 

23 hours ago, JJLehto said:

There was a surprisingly small crowd at gate open, got to Twisted Timbers for the 2nd train of day, 4 rides in 40 minutes. Hopped over to Racer then I305, did 4 in a row before I had my fill. Grabbed Tumbili for the credit, though I do like the ride, a spin on Dominator and called it a day.  

So to be clear: the new ride is good… BUT, you went to their second, third, and second-to-last newest coasters first and got the new one “for the credit.” Noted.

22 minutes ago, CP_RULES said:

So to be clear: the new ride is good… BUT, you went to their second, third, and second-to-last newest coasters first and got the new one “for the credit.” Noted.

I stand by their assessment.  S&S 4Ds are not for me, and I too only rode it for the credit, though mine was the third of the day (preceded by Dominator and Woodstock Express).

Anyone else talking about the thicker tougher over the shoulder pads on i305? They're not like Maverick and even lil ol me at 5'9" thought they were rough on the shoulders vs the previous softer kind. Last visit was 2018 so I'm wondering when the change was made. It's still incredible but if you're 6ft or over I'd think the experience is really uncomfortable. 

On 4/17/2022 at 9:41 PM, CP_RULES said:

....Yes? Not sure the intention here, feels weirdly aggressive/judgy/sounding like a did something weird/wrong? Not quite sure what you're getting at, but yes, I do like those S&S free spins but ya know they are clones...done one (which I have multiple times) you've done em all. 

Twisted Timbers, I305, Dominator are unique and obviously better. Those are priority, Tumbili was there so I did it but I don't think it's weird to say I prefer/prioritize the RMC, IntaGiga and big B&M over it lol You do you but is there some rule you are supposed to do the newest first and go in order or something? lmao  

• Like 1

^I guess I just wonder why parks keep building these when they don’t even attract guests when they’re brand new. It sounds to me like you would have found yourself at the park this year regardless of Tumbili. Not every ride is going to be a huge magnet ride, I get that, but in my opinion the free-spin fad needs to die as soon as possible. For those that like them, there’s plenty already built!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CP_RULES said:

^I guess I just wonder why parks keep building these when they don’t even attract guests when they’re brand new. It sounds to me like you would have found yourself at the park this year regardless of Tumbili. Not every ride is going to be a huge magnet ride, I get that, but in my opinion the free-spin fad needs to die as soon as possible. For those that like them, there’s plenty already built!

I wouldn't say that these rides aren't attracting guests, Tumbili had the longest line in the park.  Part of that is due to the capacity but it's also new and different.  Parks keep building these coasters because they are cheap and it gives them a new coaster to promote, they are the Vekoma Boomerangs of the 2020's.  As enthusiasts, we aren't that impressed but it seems like the GP really likes them.    

7 hours ago, CP_RULES said:

Oh well I can't vouch for the crowds they draw, just bc I don't know, I got on early as noted but the line did get quite long and stayed long (perhaps it was not great capacity more for that?) until I left. So it had quite a crowd least that day. But oh yeah I'd have been there if Tumbili never existed lol 

I guess the parks have stats on these things, (which always beat observations) I dont know how "worth it" the free spins are. I assume parks build em though for the reasons they built boomerangs and SLCs and others....cheap, easy, ya know what you get, why use time and $ to always make something new when ya can plop something down? We don't like it....but from a business POV I get it. Do they draw enough riders to pull it off? No idea, though I'd think parks wouldn't bother if they were flops? Also much as we wish, and I do, parks don't cater to enthusiasts, so they don't really care much I'm sure what I'd do...as you said I'd have gone regardless, but locals won't really care so yeah I'm sure it makes sense to plop the free spins down.

Like other's have said, it's not that 4D's don't attract guests - anything new will do that.  The GP seems to eat it up, and this is the first one in a four hour radius for KD locals, so it's going to get some attention.  The only Six Flags park that many of them have experience with is America, which somehow dodged the massive SF 4D-dump they took on most of their parks over the past few years.

They just don't garner the immediate attention of the kind of folks that visit this site.

I believe the change of theming in the area to Jungle Expedition is the bigger draw. Sure a new coaster, but everyone was calling it for what it was at the time, The Crypt replacement. Feels like everyone is beating a dead horse at this point about Tumbili. I for one am very excited so see all of the changes happening to the area as a whole. They are definitely investing in theming and a cohesive story across the whole area. Very excited to see where it goes.

Insert dislike for Tumbili as a ride here, but it looks pretty in the space and it's great to the ride as a whole be interactive in the space. Not as much of a wow factor as the Crypt was with the fire effects, but definitely nice to see scenery not stop at the curb of the ride.

• 4 weeks later...

Everything right near the park is kinda lower mid-grade, if that bothers you.  I used to stay in the total shithole right on property, simply because you can walk across the parking lot to the park, but that hasn't been open for years.  I now typically stay about 20 minutes north on I-95 in Thornburg; there's a Best Western there that is quite nice.

Since you're coming from the south, I'd look in Ashland right off the highway.  I see a Hampton Inn, a Tru by Hilton, a Days Inn, and a Quality Inn, so there's a good spectrum there.  As a plus there's actually bars and restaurants nearby, whereas the Doswell exit off 95 near the park has a Burger King, a 7-11, and that's about it.

I can vouch for the 'avoid the KD exit stuff'.  We like the Hampton Inn Ashland. Bonus points for a ton of food options right around it.  Check out Pepicelli's Pizza, it's a local place that's really good. 

The Country Inn that's across the street from KD wasn't always terrible, and it used to be our favorite place to stay near the park, but like so many other midrange hotels during the pandemic, their level of care and quality has really fallen off. Their rooms are definitely not worth the amount they are currently charging for them, and the lack of basic amenities ("bEcAuSe CoViD") is an active strike against it. I probably wouldn't stay there again until I hear they've improved.

Personally, I always now stay in a cabin at Camp Wilderness Resort.  They have a free shuttle.  It's fairly quiet apart from the freight train at night, and the rooms usually are prices near what a hotel costs.  I too used to stay at the Best Western in the parking lot, but far prefer the cabins at Camp Wilderness.  Don't overlook this as its only on the other side of the park past where Volcano used to be.

The campground is a great option, as long as you plan on cooking your own food. Again, the only food options in Doswell are KD, Burger King, 7-11, and gas station fried chicken. Ashland is 1 exit south and has plenty of food options.

7 hours ago, jazma said:

It's fairly quiet apart from the freight train at night

I'm reminded of that time last year when I made a last minute trip to Cedar Point over Memorial Day weekend, and the only hotel in the area that wasn't $500 a night was the Maples Motel....about 5 miles down US 6 east of the park, and the only thing separating the hotel from the double-line freight tracks was US 6, and the hotel was right near an intersection that crossed the tracks.  Literally every 30 minutes a train would roll past and blare the horns.  The proprietor, who was admitted awesome, was gracious enough to offer ear plugs on check in.

On 5/17/2022 at 9:33 PM, coneyislandchris said:

and the lack of basic amenities ("bEcAuSe CoViD") 

Are most hotels still doing this? I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in rural Arkansas for work and they had their breakfast and all usual amenities open. It IS rural Arkansas, but I feel like even here in Kansas City most things are back to "normal" in terms of general operational practices that were changed due to COVID.

11 hours ago, CP_RULES said:

Are most hotels still doing this? I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in rural Arkansas for work and they had their breakfast and all usual amenities open. It IS rural Arkansas, but I feel like even here in Kansas City most things are back to "normal" in terms of general operational practices that were changed due to COVID.

It's weird and really seems to be location by location. I can't even say it's chain by chain at this point, because I had stayed at a Country Inn in San Jose last August and they had their pool and breakfast buffet open. Then I stayed at that Country Inn in Doswell the following month only to discover everything, and I do mean everything, was still closed. Similarly, when I went down back in the beginning of April to Busch Gardens, I stayed at the Mainstay Suites near the park, and again it was another case of no breakfast and all the amenities closed. Then we flew out to California again and stayed at the Cambria in Anaheim, and they had a huge breakfast buffet that was jam-packed, their fitness room, and their pool and waterslides all open.

The only guaranteed thing that seems to be out the window no matter where you stay is that you don't get daily room cleaning anymore, and I think that's just a thing of the past at this point.

• Like 2