TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

By trimmed do you mean it was running slowly? b/c IIRC neither ride has trims. Now that you mention it Racer has been inconsistent over the years but I've never seen Grizzly crawling, maybe I'm just lucky. Hurler seriously crawled through it's layout post-2010. 

Anyone catch if Intimidator was open today? Tried calling and emailing the park with no luck. 

At least as of like a week ago...there were deff no trims on either Grizzly or Racer lol We also know wood coasters, esp more aged ones, can be very temperamental. Like I said my previous visit in 2013 I found Grizzly running great, Racer was sluggish as heck. May 2021, least that weekend, Grizzly I found sadly sluggish but Racer was moving great. It's just the nature of these types of rides, they will be inconsistent but yeah I highly doubt either has been "trimmed" if they've slowed with time as you say it's prob just natural aging. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the update guys! Hopefully Grizzly will run well in the rain, It's one of my favorites and I've never heard of it running slow, would be a major bummer if it is. Also thanks for the Racer heads up I probably would have skipped it otherwise. 

It was up in the very morning, went down and came back up at around 5. Got stuck on the lift about 1/4 of the way up as others have been describing. Also did it's lift get slower or am I going crazy?

Also idk who told me that snapping the flyers here was okay, it's definitely not some of the employees will stop you with even a little cable movement. 

Grizzly slow. Hope it gets faster as the summer continues. 

I know I sound like the stereotypical enthusiast here but what's the excuse for not running two trains on memorial day weekend? The only rides with two were Intimidator(probably the ride that needs two the least), FOF which was loading every other row, and Dominator. Even Anaconda got an hour+ wait today due to it having a single train, which I have never seen in years of coming here.

Fun day though!

My specific memory where it seemed as if Grizzly was trimmed (but maybe not) was during a visit in 2000. It just seemed to be crawling through the course and this resulted in my mind as the ride seeming to have brakes. Probably not accurate. Whatever the case, I had wondered what had happened to the ride since I last rode it a couple of years before.

Hi everyone,

I am going to the park on 7/2. Is Avalanche the only major coaster down currently? I know 305 can be questionable but besides that I do not see any notes on their website to any major rides down. Also, has the park been opening 'like normal' as in rides run throughout the day and not on a weird schedule like Busch Gardens? That was where I wanted to go but I want to wait due to that. Lastly, I have not been to this park in almost 8 years... are Fridays typically busy? I know this is the Friday before the 4th of July so I am assuming it may be busier then a normal Friday. I am planning on buying FL. 

Thanks! 

Eiffel Tower tower is closed if you consider that a ride. Rides are being operated normally. Crowds at parks this year have been so different for obvious reason so I don't think it's worth making a guess on that, but crowds have never been much of an issue for me at KD except on Saturdays.

• Like 1

I'm headed to the park tomorrow to process my season pass and get a few rides in on Intimidator 305 and Twisted Timbers. Used my pass a bunch in 2019 at other Cedar Fair parks but I actually don't think I ever made it up to KD. I'm a bad home park attender.

It's okay, I consider KD my "home park" too, and went to KI and CP more frequently last year (for obvious reasons) and likely this year as well.  Good luck...everything I've read has said be ready for a shitstorm.

^Yep! Pretty damn crowded today. Got my pass and headed to Twisted Timbers and the line was pretty long. Didn't want to wait and then be denied so I headed over to I305 for a back row ride. Longest wait I've had on I305 in awhile. Went back over to the test seat and the guy out front assisted and he couldn't get light to go green.

So now I'm on my way to the gym.

The park has quietly updated their operating hours.

The 11-9 days are all gone. They've shortened the summer operating hours to either 12-8 or 11-7 . Every day now has an 8 hour operating day including weekends and holiday weekends until Labor day. On a positive note, they have added daily ops through the first few weeks of August on days that were originally listed as closed.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, JJLehto said:

BTW...has I305 reopened yet? 

Looks like I'm about to land a job soon so would love to swing by here later in the year once it is (hoping Pantheon opens but not banking on it lol :(

I rode it on June 5. So yes.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting ready for my first visit to the park next week and I think my biggest question at this point is: Twisted Timber's loose article policy. AKA, if I have a phone/keys/wallet in a zippered pocket, will I still need to get a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo? Will I be able to sit on/attach a hat to my belt?

You may need to put the phone in the pouch under the seat, if they're still there.  As for the hat, your best bet is to stuff it into your waist band under your shirt before you get in the line.

• Thanks 1

I know you guys would get a laugh on this one.
Someone at Kings Dominion had a bright idea to have 7pm fireworks when the park was closing, but funny thing is.... it was daylight outside. 

• Haha 7