TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, JJLehto said:

You will be crushed? I drove the near 5 hours from Carowinds today, so I can go tomm!! If I305 is down I will cry lol

Esp with Avalanche closed. Not like omg that's a must do!!! But ya know...KD doesn't need anything more out of action and I assume 305 absorbs some crowd so yea that would be brutal. 

Yikes!!! Sorry to hear. Hope you get some luck and they get whatever needs to be done overnight. 

10 hours ago, coasterbill said:

BGW exists... just throwing that out there. Lol

nah people can mock but IDC, aint going if Pantheon isnt open. I will just feel bad. Like to have a good time but see it there and think damn.... also KD is covered by the pass, BGW is not and by this point I've spent a lot of $ lol

Well that's fine Bert :) It's OK to disagree! All I'll say is, I am aware of their lineup lol I know what's there and yeah...outside the big two it doesn't really impress me. Dominator I do indeed find eh....fun but too short (I always hated that it runs so quick into a MCBR) and a lot of the rest is solid but ya know but nothing spectacular imo. Like I admire the positvity/enthusiasm! But Racer while fun, just a standard out and back, FoF is alright, Wild Mouse.....I mean cmon. IDC about location....Anaconda LOOKS great, but its utter crap lol Backlot is also fun but again, its not anything special nor is it unique. I do like Grizzly it was prob my fav outside the big two. 

So yeah, your opinion is perfectly fine, just as mine :) I think most of that, while fine, is pretty uninspiring. 

Good to know about I305, only been once while that ride was there and that was dang, 2013? Well I say good to know but if its down guess it don't matter. I guess we'll see! 

• Like 1

305 is indeed closed. Brutal. Glad I had the heads up to prepare but yeah sucks hard. People can give grief idc that is ofc one of the reasons to go. Sorry to the wild mouse and horrid arrow looper lol Was looking forward to that beast again but what can ya do? I’m glad they too let people in early, so much better all around than accumulating crowds at the gate.

So after chatting with an employee they said no, no chain snapped but it was getting stuck on the hill repeatedly. About 1/4 of the way up, according to them. They said they didn’t really know anything about it but figures it’s not something too major. Hope they can get it up in a week or so. They also seem thankful that I was chill and just chatting normally because they  mentioned They’ve been getting a lot of grief from people even yelled at about the ride being closed. People eh? 

OK so to get it out of the way: 
Yes, I305 was down the whole day. An employee I was chatting with said no, cable didn't snap and kinda chuckled at that notion. Said the train kept stopping on the lift "about a quarter of the way up" had no idea what it was about, seemed to think it wasn't tooo major and hopes they can get it up in a week or so but obviously don't put much stock in that. I will say did not see a single mechanic, on the track or around the area. Was empty the whole day, not a soul. So if they know what's wrong deff didn't seem to be working on it today, or perhaps they can't who knows. 

Anyway, Twisted Timbers is great. The back was good but a step below what I expect, it was a lot of pulling forces, so I tried near front next. Holy hell, THAT is a beast. This ride is a tad lacking in elements, it may be the most plain RMC I've experienced but holy hell, the airtime. Nor does it lose much speed. That said I hope the ops were just early season wrinkles, because honestly they were horrid. Thankfully line was not that long, though oof it moved slow. It went down at one point, but managed to catch it at reopening, ran back on and line was not that long. From the storage units it was around 2 bends and down the straight a little bit. It was not long at all. Took at least an hour and a half. I know this, bc my storage went over the 2 hour limit and needed someone to open it, was not alone with that. Most of that line was standstill. Was brutal. What a ride though. 

I recall loving Grizzly in back, lots of air. Perhaps age is getting to it, was pretty slow and meh after the first drop, could use some retracking. Racer 75 ran quite well though, lots of air in back, few sluggish hills but ran quite well. Forgot how much I enjoyed backlot for what it is, though dat low capacity.... and Anaconda still sucks imho. Even in HS never liked it, and now that I've ridden more classic arrow loopers....this is just one of the worst. Used the skills I've acquired and my actual body to minimize the trauma, shame as its a fun layout, RMC needs to rip that track up and replace it with single rail! Dominator still frustrates me as its a good ride but shoots itself. The first half, so fun, fast, unique! Then turn left right into that MCBR and sure the corkscrews and meanderings are fun but ugh, the potential :( If only it did some more stuff before hitting that MCBR. 

All in all solid day and again I'm surprised at how not bad the crowds were given it was opening weekend. Rough ops hurt, Dominator was the only w a line that really moved. Did not even both with Flight of Fear that line was long and the drop tower was quite slow as well. We all have different opinions and experiences, and that's perfectly fine :) I stand by mine...once you leave the top 2, you got dominator which is good, then...imho its just not a great lineup. Lots of one and dones/fine rides but yeah just my thoughts. All I can say is the loss of 305 and Avalanche were quite glaring. Hope they get 305 up quickly for yall as it seems like its not a major problem, and that TT loads a little quicker. No hyperbole, day was prob 3 hours longer than I needed just from that ride's lines.

Hello,

I just bought tickets and made a reservation  to visit Kings Dominion on Friday June 18th. My home park is Six Flags Great America.

I was wondering if you all had any tips to make the most of my day at Kings Dominion. What is the best way or order to navigate the park to beat the crowds and not have to wait long in lines? Is there anything cool to see or anything along those lines? Any help to make the most of my trip to Kings Dominion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You don't need a ton of tips but I guess maybe ride Twisted Timbers first and Apple Zapple (since it's right there) and then Flight of Fear early since they're very low capacity rides and sometimes lines can get long. Not sure of your age or if you can / like to drink but if you do, I recommend the Parched Pig by the log flume.

If you're getting Fastlane, ride Anaconda early as it's not on it or don't ride it all because it sucks. Your call...

• Like 1

Flight of Fear will get the longest line in the park, followed by Backlot Stunt Coaster and Twisted Timbers; try to hit them early.  I305, if its running, and Dominator are people-eaters and will never get substantial lines all day.  Woodstock Express is a solid junior coaster with solid airtime in the back row; you could also hit this early to avoid being lined up with a bunch of kids.

Here's how I'd plan a day here without Fast Lane:
-When you enter the park, head left in the gap in International Street and head to Woodstock Express.
-Then go to Flight of Fear, ride it.
-I305 if its running.
-Backlot Stunt Coaster
-Making your way down Candy Apple Grove, hit Drop Tower.
-Twisted Timbers
-Apple Zapple
-Windseeker
-Racer 75
-Grizzly
-Flying Eagles (flyers)
-Blue Ridge Tollway (great drive-'em cars through the woods)
-If you're of drinking age, grab some at the bar near the log flume.
-Shenandoah Lumber Company (log flume)
-If you like spin-and-swing rides (I don't), head down the ramp through the woods to the Carosel, and go left to Delirium.
-Stop by Mac Bowl for awesome Mac and Cheese.
-Bad Apple (Troika)
-Anaconda
-Head back to I305, if it's running.
-If not, head up to Dominator.
-Berserker
-If you've got time left in the day, head back to Twisted Timbers and marathon until closing.

If you DO have Fast Lane+, do whatever you want after Woodstock Express, Flight of Fear, Anaconda, Racer 75, and Apple Zapple ...these are all not on Fast Lane. FoF has been on Fast Lane in the past, but it's not listed on the website this year.

Oh, and row recommendations for the coasters:
-Woodstock Express: Back
-Flight of Fear: Back
-I305: Front for speed, back for Gs, both are insane.
-Backlot: Back, I guess.  Anywhere is fine.
-Twisted Timbers:  Back!!!
-Apple Zapple: n/a
-Racer 75: Any non-wheel seat, I prefer row 2 or5.
-Grizzly: Front
-Anaconda: Front
-Dominator: Back

• Like 1

Didn't realize so many coasters weren't on FL+. FoF is a big one. And Apple Zapple! Never been on Apple Zapple but I like saying it so I'm going to type Apple Zapple one more time. Apple Zapple.

Racer has a high enough capacity I guess, and Grizzly? Well nobody can find the entrance so I guess that is OK too. Unless there is even an even MORE secret entrance for FL....

4 minutes ago, jarmor said:

You consider Italian Job a terrain coaster???

it's low to the ground, so that was the best I could come up with.

hey. . concrete can be a terrain 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, bert425 said:

it's low to the ground, so that was the best I could come up with.

hey. . concrete can be a terrain 😛

Thanks for admitting you were indeed just stretching to try and counter me, which is fine we can all have our opinions (mine hasn't changed btw, visiting confirmed it...this park doesn't have a great lineup, the loss of 305 and avalanche really was evident. Not the park's fault but yeah) but that was some supreme stretching. But least backlot is fun, not as bad as hyping up Anaconda as a good thing XD 

30 minutes ago, JJLehto said:

Thanks for admitting you were indeed just stretching to try and counter me, which is fine we can all have our opinions (mine hasn't changed btw, visiting confirmed it...this park doesn't have a great lineup, the loss of 305 and avalanche really was evident. Not the park's fault but yeah) but that was some supreme stretching. But least backlot is fun, not as bad as hyping up Anaconda as a good thing XD 

Dude. . I wasn't "Stretching to counter you"

get over yourself.

so I used a description that might not be accurate? 

Stunt Coaster is still another coaster that's a LIM launch. . so you saying the park has a poor coaster line up is still an idiotic statement.

the only thing that would make it stronger is a suspended (since they lost that with Volcano)

Aiight aiight I'll let it go, but from the person who seemed legit shook, actually angry it seems tbh(? Like who's the one that's repeatedly called the other an idiot), that someone had a different opinion, maybe not just I who should get over themselves? 

As noted in the Fun Spot Atlanta thread, "Grammar is important"

Calling something an "idiotic statement" is not the same as calling someone an idiot.

I think KD has a good line up.  To me, the stand outs are stunt track, grizzly and dominator.  While I do like 305, it just isn't that stand out to me (unpopular opinion. . . it could have did the exact same thing it does and be 100 ft shorter in height and not need those trims).

• Like 2

That's OK. These are all opinions after all, and there is no coaster king that can deliver definitive statements of irrefutable fact, (I mean us enthusiasts can't ever agree on literally anything lol) so that's all any of it is: our opinions, and it's OK to have differing ones :) Well OK Alan Schilke is the coaster king...but none of us are him. 

Yeah I always loved Grizzly but either its age is showing/was a bad day/I've experienced more...I had a pretty lackluster ride, though oddly Racer 75 which I recall thinking was just OK ran great that day! Superb air in back seat, maybe only 2 hills that were meh, wasn't sluggish at all it really moved. Odd bc it was a hot day, I rode Grizzly after....but oof almost felt like it was barely gunna make it! Yeah Dominator just frustrates me bc it kills all its speed too soon, and the first half is so unique, there's nothing else like it! I just wish it did more before that MCBR. It's a good ride that could be great in my book. Yeah that's fair, 305 is great but it's certainly "problematic" to say the least, but damn there is nothing quite like it. Maybe a good thing lol it does feel like it was designed almost recklessly and then oops better tweak it over time. You're right, they almost designed it tooooo big and it really didn't need to be.

My biggest beef was the trim on the one airtime hill, you do really feel it and I thought maybe it'd be better to have it untrimmed and have a longer more drawn out/less whippy finale into the breaks but ah well. 

21 hours ago, jarmor said:

I think KD has a good line up.  To me, the stand outs are stunt track, grizzly and dominator.  While I do like 305, it just isn't that stand out to me (unpopular opinion. . . it could have did the exact same thing it does and be 100 ft shorter in height and not need those trims).

The loss of Volcano was a hit to the lineup as it grouped well with Dominator, I305, and TT as top tier (depending on your preferences). To me, the only really "bad" coaster is Anaconda. Apple Zapple, Avalanche, and Backlot are perfectly fine mid-tier/family coasters. Depending on off-season track work, Grizzly and Racer can be great fun or... neutered shells.

The Free Spin will be welcome next year.

• Like 1