TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

That's kind of what I was saying. Busch seems full steam ahead trying food fests, 2 rounds of a ticketed event many days, going year round in some form, etc. CF dragging their feet yet again here opening late, shutting down a coaster when it could prob run, waiting an extra year to build a bottom tier coaster, etc.  Suppose it's more just disappointment in CF's approach to things the last year.

• Like 2

I blame it on KD turning down the tax break proposal presented by cedar fair that would have pumped 50 million (i think) into the park over 3 years starting in 2014.  Carowinds accepted and well, you have seen what has happened sense. . .

KD was once one of the flagship parks in paramounts chain along with KI and Wonderland. Now, under cedar fair, not so much.

3 hours ago, grsupercity said:

Cedar Fair has gifted this park I305, Twisted Timbers, Dominator and Delirium. That is more then WOF, MIA, VF and Dorney combined. 

"Yea but we didn't get ANYTHING THIS YEAR.  So the park is pitiful!"  (don't look at all the S&S Freespin pieces in the parking lot)

It's not uncommon for rides or sections of parks to close down for future expansion.  I wouldn't be too concerned considering we all know a coaster is about to be built and there are probably even more additions coming. 

Knowing CF completely removed Mean Streak from maps while Steel Vengeance was under construction I seriously doubt the ride is being removed (yet, it will one day).  I am in agreement they chose to save money and keep it closed this season while working on whatever plans they have for that area.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bob325 said:

Avalanche closed for the season is confirmed.  At the top of the Avalanche page on their website (and on the roller coasters page) it says...

"Avalanche will be closed for the 2021 season."

https://www.kingsdominion.com/play/rides/avalanche

How disappointing.  So long as it's not gone for good.

At least we've still got i350, Twisted Timbers, and Rebel Yell to celebrate. :)

hmm. . perhaps they are going to be doing something on Volcano's site, and they need the access, so therefore have to remove portion of Avalanche track?

My understanding is that it's due to the construction of Tiki Twirl in the old Crypt spot.  If you look at this map, it doesn't look like there's much space to work behind it, so they'd have to be in front of it, right in the pathway, to work.

On 5/16/2021 at 5:31 PM, Bob325 said:

Avalanche closed for the season is confirmed.  At the top of the Avalanche page on their website (and on the roller coasters page) it says...

"Avalanche will be closed for the 2021 season."

https://www.kingsdominion.com/play/rides/avalanche

Kinda disappointing since that was one of the kiddette's favorites to ride at the park, but on the plus side, at least she hit 48" now so she can work her way up to even bigger thrills. Good chance that Twisted Timbers may end up being her first RMC, unless we hit SFNE sometime before July.

Yeah was always a fun ride, I liked boblsed coasters. It's also a shame w Volcano gone it's just one less ride here and I never felt KD had the strongest lineup to begin with. That said pretty excited to go this Sunday. I've not been here since shoot, 2013? Esp the RMC, oddly it's one I know little of nor do I hear it come up that much. 

On 5/11/2021 at 3:22 PM, WolfBobs said:

It's not uncommon for rides or sections of parks to close down for future expansion.  I wouldn't be too concerned considering we all know a coaster is about to be built and there are probably even more additions coming. 

True.  People also complained when Flight Of Fear was closed at KI during Winterfest because of Orion construction.  

If that's true, then I've got the following concerning Cedar Fair's gigas:

• I305 - Broken
  • Leviathan - who knows when that park will open
  • Millie - open, but the line closes 2 hours early
  • Orion - open, but get there early cause the park might hit capacity

So what's gonna happen with Fury 325?

23 hours ago, jackinbox said:

True.  People also complained when Flight Of Fear was closed at KI during Winterfest because of Orion construction.  

A ride being closed for a few weeks while a giga coaster is being constructed is one thing. A ride being closed for an entire season for a small off the shelf coaster is another. Feels almost like they figured they can use it as an excuse so save some money by not having to get the ride ready and staffed for an entire year.

1 hour ago, dankeykang said:

If that's true, then I've got the following concerning Cedar Fair's gigas:

• I305 - Broken
  • Leviathan - who knows when that park will open
  • Millie - open, but the line closes 2 hours early
  • Orion - open, but get there early cause the park might hit capacity

So what's gonna happen with Fury 325?

Hopefully nothing happens with Fury!! We have our first visit to Carowinds next month! 

3 hours ago, Canobie Coaster said:

I'm seeing a few posts online that Intimidator 305's cable may have snapped.  Is anyone there to confirm?  It's listed as closed on Queue Times.

What sites have you seen this on? I’m praying this is false. I’m driving over 7hrs next Sunday to KD and I will be so crushed. 

20 minutes ago, skyrocket010 said:

What sites have you seen this on? I’m praying this is false. I’m driving over 7hrs next Sunday to KD and I will be so crushed. 

You will be crushed? I drove the near 5 hours from Carowinds today, so I can go tomm!! If I305 is down I will cry lol

Esp with Avalanche closed. Not like omg that's a must do!!! But ya know...KD doesn't need anything more out of action and I assume 305 absorbs some crowd so yea that would be brutal. 

I will echo the question of where is this coming from? Was just a quick google, but I've not been able to find anything. So "heard its not a snapped cable" but like, what happened? Where is all this from? 

Thank goodness for the platinum pass. Like yeah I'll be super bummed (though if its something like that I reckon it'll be down for a while) but least ya know, free parking, not technically paying for the admission, so if its a bit of a bleh day no biggie. If I was paying full everything and going oof....that would really suck. If so guess I'll just get as many Twisted Timbers as I can! 

25 minutes ago, JJLehto said:

I will echo the question of where is this coming from? Was just a quick google, but I've not been able to find anything. So "heard its not a snapped cable" but like, what happened? Where is all this from? 

Friends at the park that know coasters.  But, nothing I'd say is guaranteed cause I've seen the opposite, too.  Basically, a couple people at the park today that normally are on top of things suggest it's not a snapped cable.  But that doesn't mean it might not be down for awhile..  Hopefully not. 

On 5/21/2021 at 7:06 PM, JJLehto said:

it's just one less ride here and I never felt KD had the strongest lineup to begin with.

um. . .  this is an extremely odd statement.

Kings Dominion has I305, Twisted Timbers, and Dominator.

even if you don't consider Dominator a "top tier" coaster, just that KD has I305 & Twisted Timbers makes it a destination park for coaster lovers.

add in that even without Avalanche (or the departed Volcano), it has these other coaseters:
An Arrow Looper - with an incredible location over the water (Anaconda)
A Premier LIM launch spaghetti bowl (Flight of Fear)
A Premeir LIM launch terrain coaster (Back Lot Stunt Coaster)
A classic racing woodie (Racer 75)
A quite fun wild mouse, one of the better ones out there (Apple Zapple)
A fantastic junior woodie that gives pops of airtime in the back car (Woodstock Express)
and a Rough, but fun, woodie-in-the-woods (Grizzly)
and they're about to get an S&S Freespin.

that's a really decent coaster lineup, even if the enthusiasts / coaster fans, are gonna come for I305, Dominator, and Twisted Timbers mainly.

so . . it's an odd statement to me

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JJLehto said:

You will be crushed? I drove the near 5 hours from Carowinds today, so I can go tomm!! If I305 is down I will cry lol

Esp with Avalanche closed. Not like omg that's a must do!!! But ya know...KD doesn't need anything more out of action and I assume 305 absorbs some crowd so yea that would be brutal. 

I've only been to KD 3 times. . but on all 3 visits?   I305 didn't "Absorb" anything from anywhere, and was mostly very short station wait

it's simply too intense for many of the General Public, and they don't want to ride it.

(oh, don't get me wrong, there always seemed to be lots of folks gathered around the Entrance to the ride, and in the gift shop there. . so lots of NASCAR fans. . but I dont' think we ever waited more than 10 minutes for it, even without Fast Lane)

• Like 2