TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

They are in the same state, but I know for certain that different regions of Virginia had different restrictions over the summer for a while.

Kings Dominion had the exact same capacity restrictions as BGW did, 1000 people. Google news search for articles about KD from last summer and they all mention this. They were both able to open at the same time last August - Busch made it work, KD sat on their hands and continues to do so. I'm 110% with Bill on this one. He likes to twist the knife a bit in the name of humor, but its totally warranted in this case. I can't help but wonder wtf CF has been thinking.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, prozach626 said:

Too bad Volcano isn't still around. It was ahead of its time not only technologically, but it already had limited capacity down to a science.

Especially in it's opening year when it only had seats for 8 people per train.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So KD just sent out an e-mail to pass holders; there will be a preview day for Gold/Platinum Pass holders on Sunday, May 16th, ahead of their main opening on Saturday the 22nd.

Join us as we kick off 2021 with an exclusive day of fun for Season Passholders before we open to the public. We're so excited to welcome you back for an AMAZING new season filled with fun for everyone. More details on all of the Season Passholder Day FUN to come.

That's all it says, no hours posted yet.  If they're open late enough I might swing by on my way back from Kings Island.

1 hour ago, alilstronger said:

Is the park not offering Fast Lane this season? Was thinking about venturing down here this summer for just a day because I have not been in about 7 years and I see nothing about it on their website. I used to always get it here.

At this point it's kinda a "wait and see" if they'll offer daily Fast Lane.  Last year, KI didn't offer it until halfway through and CP didn't offer it at all.  This year, CP has announced that it'll be available, and general presumption is KI will do the same.  Remember, this year at KD is basically last year at other parks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CaptainUnknown said:

Looking at making reservations to the park for my trip in July. Does anyone know if Gold passholders can have reservations for multiple days at a time? Or is it just easier to get 2 separate 1-day tickets?

The system let me make a second reservation with a Platinum Pass, so I'd imagine you'd be good with a Gold one.

Edit:  Please note, that if you're unfamiliar with the ticketing software CF uses, you will need to make three separate transactions for this purchase - One for the pass, and then one each for the reservations.  You need to complete the pass transaction first to get the pass number to input in the to reservation system.. Then, if you try to add two reservations to a single transaction, the system will tell you that you can't.  It makes no sense but it is what it is.  If you go the Daily Tickets route, no separate reservation is required.

It's still on the map, so I'm assuming it's just a photoshop error that the name was removed. And, it's still on their website list of roller coasters. So, let's assume it's safe. 

Man, that section of the park is making all the rides a little nervous.

16 minutes ago, boldikus said:

Well, either someone f*cked up on the 2021 park map, or RIP Avalanche.

God damnnit don't scare me like that!

It's still on the map, just not labelled (Woodstock Express is also not labelled), and it's still showing in the Rides page.  I plan on swinging by the park on my way back from KI this Sunday, I'll let you know.

• Haha 1

Sources online who claim to work at the park are saying that Avalanche will be closed this season but not removed due to the ongoing construction in Safari Village for their new free spin. Take it with a grain of salt because obviously anyone can say anything they want to on the internet, but that's what's going around.

And the map would make sense if the above rumor were true. If they really wanted to get rid of Avalanche, I believe they would do so before starting the construction work on the Free Spin. Mack still sells the Bobsleigh coasters as new models so it's not like Kings Dominion would be running out of parts to maintain it.

52 minutes ago, coneyislandchris said:

Sources online who claim to work at the park are saying that Avalanche will be closed this season but not removed due to the ongoing construction in Safari Village for their new free spin. Take it with a grain of salt because obviously anyone can say anything they want to on the internet, but that's what's going around.

This is what I’m assuming. It’s probably a convenient budget cut while they build a free spin.

... man I’m down on this park lately. Lol

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

This is what I’m assuming. It’s probably a convenient budget cut while they build a free spin.

... man I’m down on this park lately. Lol

And to think I nearly decided to change my park loyalty from Six Flags to Cedar Fair!

I like Cedar Fair. I've been dogging on them hard during this pandemic and will dog on them hard forever about their awful Christmas events but a year from now when this is all behind us I'll probably hate on them much less because I like a lot of things about them. With this park specifically though, it's hard to be too happy with anything they've done recently. Meanwhile, Busch Gardens Williamsburg keeps adding great events and great new rides year-after-year.

This park just seems very neglected and an after thought now. Now they are down another coaster potentially? With Busch down the street, KD seems kind of pitiful. And not a ton of stuff there. Oh well. I still hope to get there for a another day of Intimidator and Twisted. 

11 minutes ago, tndank said:

This park just seems very neglected and an after thought now. Now they are down another coaster potentially? With Busch down the street, KD seems kind of pitiful. And not a ton of stuff there. Oh well. I still hope to get there for a another day of Intimidator and Twisted. 

Not sure how KD seems pitiful and "not a ton of stuff there" when, even with Avalanche potentially being SBNO this season, it has 11 coasters to Busch's 9. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tndank said:

Cedar Fair has gifted this park I305, Twisted Timbers, Dominator and Delirium. That is more then WOF, MIA, VF and Dorney combined. 

• Like 1