TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

He has a lot more history with Kings Dominion than just 2 years. You also forgot that Carnival and Winterfest also came in under him (I know they aren't rides, but I feel they are big improvements for the overall park).

A quick Google search of Bridgette, I have high hopes that this will be a good transition for Kings Dominion. She's worked her way up thru many positions at World's of Fun and has been actively involved in park operations both at a park and corporate levels.

I would venture to guess Kings Dominion will become more aggressive in building upon seasonal events and adding rides. I don't think you'll see anything seriously impressive for the next 3 years depending on how/when everything recovers post COVID. I do think you'll see a lot of infrastructure and beautification work during this time. If any new rides, probably mostly flat rides. I would also venture to guess that White Water Canyon's days are numbered (seeing as how Cedar Fair seems to be removing these from most parks). Between Volcano's empty location and White Water Canyon, that's a lot of land already accessible to the park to build on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kings Dominion Announces "Taste of the Season"

Untitled.thumb.jpg.7034452ee8835cbb5e822b9008b9e05f.jpg

Happy holidays! Savor the flavors of the holidays at Kings Dominion’ Taste of the Season, an ALL-NEW  limited-capacity outdoor holiday experience. Sample tempting treats with your Tasting Card and make magical family memories— safely. Select dates, December 5 – 27.

Only at Kings Dominion can you find a food-tasting extravaganza with a sleigh-full of fun family activities. Purchase a Tasting Card to choose among 25 samples of delicious holiday sweets and savories. Sip the season with specialty drinks from Santa’s mixologists. Feast your eyes on dazzling holiday décor, enjoy seasonal shows, and wrap up your Christmas shopping. What’s more, select family rides are open to deliver the ear-to-ear smiles and belly laughs you can always count on from Kings Dominion.  

We want you to enjoy Kings Dominion’s Taste of the Season and feel safe when visiting, so we’ve developed an extensive reopening plan—new processes and enhanced procedures throughout the park to help reduce the spread of germs. We’re all in this together and by working together you can safely and confidently have an AMAZING time this holiday season. Capacity is limited and reservations are required, so secure your spots now. 

KingsDominion.com

It was in fact open during last year's Winterfest, but not the year before that.

Either way, glad the park is able to open at all in 2020.  I'll be trying to make a trip down on the 12th.

CoasterNerd87, I updated your post with some more information.

I don't understand this company and I never will but hey... whatever. Why would you do this at the last minute when you saw that you no longer had capacity restriction issues but not do it at Kings Island which was already open and didn't have them all summer? You wouldn't have to hire people, you wouldn't need to get rides that haven't moved in a year ready to run for like a month. If they had a pricing structure like Six Flags where they were trying to un-freeze memberships I would get it but they don't and I just don't understand anything they do. This is nice for people that live right near the park though. Oh, and the event only runs through the 27th and not the entire holiday week after that where everyone is off from school. Six Flags is running circles around Cedar Fair this year and I don't know how to feel about it.

PS: This woman is every shareholder right now...

Untitled.jpg.c02e522e7fae372a9a09ea7e4fb5c506.jpg

• Like 1

Um...you know KD already has a giga, right?

And yeah, I'd trade operating seasons this year between KD and KI in a heartbeat.  KI got four months; KD got 3 weekends.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KIEnthusiast said:

HORRIBLE decision, Cedar Fair needs to do it at King’s Island!!!! Instead they’re reopening a park that got a Free Spin instead of a Giga! 😡

I should clarify that I don't think opening this park is a dumb decision, I just think opening this and not Kings Island is a dumb decision. I also think that the operating calendar is a dumb, but I guess it's less dumb than Carowinds where the event ends 5 days before Christmas.

53 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

I should clarify that I don't think opening this park is a dumb decision, I just think opening this and not Kings Island is a dumb decision. I also think that the operating calendar is a dumb, but I guess it's less dumb than Carowinds where the event ends 5 days before Christmas.

Sorry, I meant that King's Island deserves to open more than King's Dominion.

I believe it’s about getting current on passes isn’t it?  They already charged KI passholders. Now they will collect revenue for Carowinds and KD.  

It was mentioned on the conference call about expecting $10 million in passholder revenue in Q4. 

The reservation system for pass holders for KD's winter event is live, but it's not linked anywhere on the main page.  If you go into the ticket-buying part of the site, it will appear at the top left.