TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

At the park this past Sunday, it appears work on the old wave pool is happening very carefully. The concrete along the drain of the zero entry was torn open to create a trough. Temporary 2x4 railings are affixed around the mechanical room, and there is orange spray paint along walls at a single elevation.

The new wave pool is crowded on just moderate days, so hopefully the old one is just getting a re-model.

Ended up making it up to KD Friday and Saturday for our first visit to the park. I305...wow, just wow. I had it in my head that the whole "grey out" thing was kind of an urban legend but the first time around that helix I could barely see by the time we topped the first camelback! My 10 year loved it and said it happened to him as well. Overall this coaster was firmly in my top 10 but it's not a truly fun ride or re-rideable might be a better way to put it. It was without a doubt the most intense coaster I've ever been on (haven't ridden Skyrush yet).

I absolutely loved Twisted Timbers. What a fun ride! The back is the place to be on this one. Got several rides throughout the two days and couldn't get enough. The airtime is great and the laterals and inversions are just icing on the cake. Only downside was the loading times. They were horrible. I felt bad for the ride ops because they were doing everything they could but between all the safety precautions and the public not following directions and having to take up time to re-do their lap bar or put something away they aren't supposed to have on the ride the dispatches were taking 2 to 3 minutes per train. Ugh.

Overall, I liked the park and the other coaster were solid. I liked Dominator's unique layout and Racer, Stuntcoaster and FOF were good as well. All in all a good trip!

^After several years of riding 305, I had my first grey-out on it this weekend as well. The major difference between the past and now is for the first time I'm taking blood pressure medication. I'm guessing that probably had something to do with it. Still a great ride though!

• 2 weeks later...

If y’all just clench your butthole you won’t grey out. It’s science.

Also, I don’t even like IPAs but this is awesome and more parks should do this. I’m looking forward to trying it in a few weeks.

7B37ECD1-9597-4663-ACDC-792AC40505DA.thumb.jpeg.a162fabad301cc7b75670f7cac049174.jpeg

Speaking of Haunt . . .

650053409_KDHaunt_K.jpg.12a413de93750538ca98b3b7c9481792.jpg

Kings Dominion Unleashing New Terrors at Halloween Haunt

Fall events begin at the park Saturday, September 21

Doswell, VA — Virginia’s largest Halloween Themed Amusement event, Halloween Haunt returns for its 19th frightful season on Saturday, September 21, 2019 with the debut of four new gruesome experiences. Guests who dare can brave seven mazes, six scare zones plus a variety of frightful shows. The Great Pumpkin Fest also returns on September 21 with family-friendly daytime Halloween fun in Planet Snoopy.

Adding to an already macabre lineup of mazes, monsters and live entertainment, Halloween Haunt highlights two new terrifying scare zones, an all-new nightly opening SCAREremony, and a shocking new show.

Masquerade.thumb.jpg.f6478fce7e382f72cd9669493bb991eb.jpg

NEW SCARE ZONE: Masquerade

Her Royal Highness, the evil Queen Majesty, has decided to throw a ball like none other as she lays claim to the lands of the living and the dead. In what is bound to be the most prestigious ball ever thrown, Majesty is out to prove once and for all that every person and demon will eagerly follow her plan for domination. Part party, part scare zone, guests are invited to mix and mingle with the height of the undead high society and those 21 and older can dare to try the specialty cocktails. Be sure to grab a selfie with the Duke and Duchess, but beware; sometimes the mask is there for a reason.

965152052_PumpkinEater.thumb.jpg.7ace8c46dfc2aeb59c6d1df6077eb416.jpg

NEW SCARE ZONE: Pumpkin Eater

In the last years of the Revolution, Peter Armstrong was a pumpkin farmer living off a winding road in the quaint woods of Virginia. Some say the spirit of a dead soldier possessed him and in an act of rage he murdered his wife with a bayonet. He hid her body inside one of his largest pumpkins, leaving her there to rot. Soon after he started seeing apparitions of his wife with the face of a jack-o-lantern. His rage not subsided, Peter went on to murder other victims, burying them all in the patch. The evil spirit in his body began to morph him into a pumpkin like creature. His victims too, began to rise and now haunt these once tranquil woods with their jack-o-lantern faces.

NEW SHOW: Blood Reign

A new reign of terror is here, and the overthrow of the dark beings has begun – Queen Majesty has grown tired of the antics of her minion, Overlord, and has vowed to bring hellfire down upon his followers. This opening SCAREremony will take place every night of Halloween Haunt at 7p.m.

NEW SHOW: Heads Will Roll

Join Queen Majesty and her Royal Court as they behead, one by one, the most loyal of Overlord’s subjects. Sometimes the executions do not go quite as planned, but they always end in a raucous musical celebration as her court of singers and dancers Put a Spell on You in this grand Ballroom Blitz. When the clock strikes midnight, the Overlord will finally meet his fate as Majesty makes one final cut in what is sure to be The Greatest Show.

In total, those who dare can brave seven mazes, six scare zones and a variety of live shows during Halloween Haunt, which features the largest scare force in the region with more than 400 monsters roaming the midways. During the nighttime event, guests can also get their adrenaline fix on more than 20 rides, including Twisted Timbers, Intimidator™ 305 and Dominator, as fog and darkness blanket the park. Monsters descend upon the park at 7 p.m. during Blood Reign at the International Street Bandstand.

Fright Lane, which gives guests front-of-the-line access to mazes can be purchased online. Haunt is held select nights September 21 through November 2.

1981036515_GreatPumpkinFestSnoopy.thumb.jpg.7d39a89fb7157d2c2a9aca21d17ae477.jpg

For daytime Halloween fun with no fear, the park holds The Great Pumpkin Fest in Planet Snoopy. There are delightful surprises hiding around every corner, from hay mazes to a pumpkin painting patch. Kids can take part in educational and interactive puppet shows in addition to the festive activities and their favorite rides in Planet Snoopy. The Great Pumpkin Fest is held Saturdays and Sundays from September 21 through November 2 from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. Planet Snoopy will close at 6 p.m. as the park transforms for Halloween Haunt.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyway the ride is good but Dominator exists... and so does Flight of Fear (though you wouldn't know it since it's NEVER open when we go to the park lol).

Well, there is a Haunt maze in the queue this time of year, so that's not too shocking.

No but yeah see they opened the ride for like 2 hours Saturday afternoon. We first tried it around noon and it had a sign up saying it was closed for Haunt. We figured that coming in. Bill stalked it on queuetimes and around 4pm noticed it was operational and literally booked it the f**k over there for the fast pass attendant/grouper dude to tell us they shut the line off fifteen minutes earlier.

Thinking of going to Kings Dominion the opening weekend of Winterfest. Does anyone know if it will be worth getting Fast Lane for Twisted Timbers and Dominator? I heard the operations for TT were atrociously slow, even with an in station queue garnering a 30 minute wait

For only $35 I'd say it's totally worth it. You'll be able to skip all of the other lines too. Honestly Twisted Timbers will possibly be towards the shorter length lines out of the 8 rides that are on the Winterfest FL. Can't be sure since it wasn't open last year.