TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Apparently Twisted Timbers just closed a few minutes ago due to something flying out and hitting a rider. Anyone at the park to confirm this?

I don't know if its had downtime at all today but I just saw a video on Instagram with it running with people on it so not to worry.

Because for some enthusiasts if the slightest vibration is felt or they’re jostled in their seat a bit, the ride is considered rough.

Not necessarily

I found dominator to be considerably rough for a B&M as it felt like my head was a ping pong ball between the shoulder harness. Through some of the turns, it slapped my ears silly . Though it's not unbearable or headache inducing, its more annoying than anything else. It kinda took away from the ride for me as it had a really nice layout.

^Maybe rough is the wrong word to use, but I find that some B&M coasters develope a rattle/vibration over time. By no means is Dominator a bad ride to me, it definitely adds quality and variety to Kings Dominion considering it is there only B&M coaster and is a top notch attraction. Compared to the many other B&M inverts and floorless coasters I've been on I just find Dominantor to have a strange rattle that the others don't. I'll just stay in my own little world and enjoy getting thrown around by old arrow loopers while they are still around

I mean if you ride Dominator in the front row it definitely does have a lot of headbanging. Dominator is such a fun and intense floorless but it may need to get some TLC in the near future.

Maybe a re-tracking and/or new trains with the vest restraints?

"Re-tracking" a steel coaster is rebuilding it virtually from scratch. When Morey's re-did Great Nor'easter, it cost over $4 million.

I have found that Floorless coasters are by far B&M's most "temperamental" coaster type when it comes to smoothness. I have never ridden a rough Invert, Hyper, Flying, Wing, Dive, etc. But the Floorless coasters can really bounce around a lot (especially on edge seats in the middle rows). Scream is my most ridden Floorless among the 7 or 8 I've done, and my rides on it are wildly inconsistent. Sometimes it runs very well and others it feels like it has octagonal wheels.

I enjoyed Dominator quite a bit and thought it ran fine, but it's not my favorite Floorless because I love the snappy zero-G rolls, which Dominator lacks.

Given that B&M does Dive Coasters with vest restraints now, I am confident that any new ground-up Floorless, especially if built by Cedar Fair, will include vest restraints.

I don't find Dominator to be rough at all. I usually keep my hands on the arm rests, and it's perfectly smooth and rerideable.

The only sometimes "rough" patch on Dominator is the corkscrews after the MCBR, and it isn't all that bad. At least that's been my experience.

Am I right to assume that crowds will be lights on a Sunday in May? We'll be at the park for a few hours in the morning and early afternoon on May 19th on our way back from BGW to catch our evening flight in DC. My goal is for one ride on Timbers, several rides on i305, and a ride or two on Dominator. This is our second trip.

I believe I've read in prior reports that KD has an excellent flume. Is it typically open that time of year? I already have my fingers that my favorite ride at BGW, Le Scoot, will be open the day before. It would be nice to have a double flume weekend.

(Did that last statement sound weird to anyone else?)

Am I right to assume that crowds will be lights on a Sunday in May? We'll be at the park for a few hours in the morning and early afternoon on May 19th on our way back from BGW to catch our evening flight in DC. My goal is for one ride on Timbers, several rides on i305, and a ride or two on Dominator. This is our second trip.

I believe I've read in prior reports that KD has an excellent flume. Is it typically open that time of year? I already have my fingers that my favorite ride at BGW, Le Scoot, will be open the day before. It would be nice to have a double flume weekend.

(Did that last statement sound weird to anyone else?)

KD's log flume is open, and people were riding LeScoot at BGW last Sunday.

Because for some enthusiasts if the slightest vibration is felt or they’re jostled in their seat a bit, the ride is considered rough.

Not necessarily

I found dominator to be considerably rough for a B&M as it felt like my head was a ping pong ball between the shoulder harness. Through some of the turns, it slapped my ears silly . Though it's not unbearable or headache inducing, its more annoying than anything else. It kinda took away from the ride for me as it had a really nice layout.

Dominator was better when it was over a lake

(although I'm very glad the ride still actually has a home somewhere instead of the scrapheap)

I don't find Dominator to be rough at all. I usually keep my hands on the arm rests, and it's perfectly smooth and rerideable.

The only sometimes "rough" patch on Dominator is the corkscrews after the MCBR, and it isn't all that bad. At least that's been my experience.

This is exactly my experience. A little bit of "vibration or rattle" or whatever word you wanna use in the corkscrews. The rest of the ride runs great. Dominator is a great ride, even if it does live in the shadows of the park's other rides.

I just don't get it. I've never had any problems with both Domininator and Anaconda.

On Friday, may 17th, the KD app says that they are open from 930-12am but the website says they're open til 8....

I couldn't find anything online about events going on that day, does anyone know whats up with this?

I honestly don't understand the usage of the word "rough" for any B&M except Stand Ups and that's because Stand Ups are flat out uncomfortable not even because they're "rough." Sure the train vibrates on some rides but you're in multiple ton train going along a track at 60 mph (or whatever). The train shaking a little bit ruins the experience for you? I'm usually just happy as hell I'm on a roller coaster and not in a cubicle.