TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

don't skip Racer. ..the retracking they did had it running AMAZING in the summer of 2018.

(sure it's just an out and back racing woodie. . but man, was it fun. . and in the rain it was *flying*)

Thanks Bert, your advice for Kennywood was spot on last year, so we will definitely be doing "Racer". While it is disappointing that Volcano will be gone, we picked KD for this years trip (along with BGW) because they have an excellent line up of rides. I'll be on this thread in a month or so asking for further tips and general preferences.

I was in the minority of the group on the TPR trip in that I didn't care for Twisted Timbers (I only rode it once during the day, and skipped the evening ERT) -- the extreme ejector air is a bit too much for me, and I found it painful. Could have been that I was just stapled in a bit too tight, not giving me enough room against the rubber restraint?

But the rest of the group seemed to love it, it just wasn't for me. LOVED the inverted 1st drop tho.

Racer 75 (aka: Rebel Yell) was an extremely pleasant surprise, so that's why i mention it.

Loved, loved, loved Dominator - here's Robb's video of it from our trip:

(train full of TPR folks! - I'm back right - we were asked to keep our hands down for the filming of this particular ride, just FYI, if you're wondering why none are up)

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

but I think my favorite coaster in the park was I305. The nighttime rides were insanely fun (keep those butt cheeks clenched on the first helix to not grey out. . LOL). The rides were so awesome, I purchased the on ride pic as a magnet for my fridge:

IMG_4900.thumb.JPG.63a6477bb7e4e577ad89d3f044ac44e4.JPG

Fun ride, but a maintenance nightmare.

I predict they'll replace it with a Copperhead Strike type ride in the near future.

I was thinking the same thing. Working with Mack opens up a lot of possibilities for this space. I'd love to see something like an Xtreme Spinner that utilizes the volcano.

I got to ride Volcano once in 2014 and it was closed in 2018. My sample size is too small to properly critique it, but I wasn't wowed by it like many of you were. Thought it was more "unique and cool" than "great."

^ Just a question based on your personal experience, Robb, but how well had it aged over the years for you? I mean, you used to live nearby so I'd imagine you know the coaster well.

I'm not Robb but I visited him quite often from 2001 and started riding Volcano and made sure to ride it on every visit after! I never remember any 'roughness' on it, and it always took my breath away with those launches. I also think it used to have way more down time (late 90's early '00's) and had been doing better up until last season when it was down the majority of the year. Sad to see it go.

Speaking as a "local," I agree with this. Volcano was always a smooth, fun ride (with intense launches), and I'm glad that I got a chance to ride it again last spring before they shut it down for good.

Rats! It was always closed during my trips to KD, and the closest I got to it was watching it test for a few hours while maintenance worked on it. At least I got to see the fire effect erupt out of the volcano -- such a unique attraction!

I've always been interested in the queue, mountain, and any leftover features from the Smurfs/log flume that I've only caught glimpses of on YouTube and in old pictures. I hope the mountain will live on!

I'm not "devastated" by the news but definitely stunned.

I think Volcano had become slightly rougher. On a normal ride this was no problem, but on a lightly loaded or solo ride it was probably always rough. I managed to swing at least 10 solo rides in the past 10 years and they were so amazing and vicious usually had to assure myself they test ran it every day going even faster. Supposedly the board showed the speed would reach 75 MPH. I really had a system for not having to wait and also enjoyed many rerides.

Fun ride, but a maintenance nightmare.

I predict they'll replace it with a Copperhead Strike type ride in the near future.

I was thinking the same thing. Working with Mack opens up a lot of possibilities for this space. I'd love to see something like an Xtreme Spinner that utilizes the volcano.

I got to ride Volcano once in 2014 and it was closed in 2018. My sample size is too small to properly critique it, but I wasn't wowed by it like many of you were. Thought it was more "unique and cool" than "great."

Looking at the entire size of the space being used for Volcano, Mack (or whomever else they choose to go with) would have quite a great deal of room to work with for sure! If they do decide to go with Mack, I can totally see them going for another launched coaster, but it being even bigger and faster than Copperhead Strike. As sad as I am about it, I'm greatly looking forward to see what they do with the space.

Yeah wait times were heinous due to its capacity, honestly I only ever rode it once per visit because I never felt it was good enough to warrant the waits it usually had. Id go there right at opening to get a ride in, and that was my one for the day. Exception being ERT we had on the 2012 (?) trip. Did it 3 times that day, then no more for the rest lol it seemed that within minutes of park open it was already a massive wait. On a vaca my family took here the line for Volcano was (way) longer than Hypersonic XLC even

Goes to show just cause something is a classic doesnt mean it has to stay. I just hope its replacement is awesome.

No idea what could utilize the small space well, some type of eurofighter? Or maybe it can be part of something larger.

I'm sad to see this unique coaster go. Was such a one of a kind roller coaster

However, the throughput for this ride was downright AWFUL. I queued 45 minutes in a line that looked to be 15 minutes, ridiculous. With the ride being a capacity & maintenance nightmare.

I predict the future attraction in its place to be the opposite. Possibly a new area with new dining, shops ,flat rides, and a possible up-charge slingshot, with a "Congo" theme (i.e. Carowinds' expanded County Fair area). Avalanche could get a re-theme as well to tie in the area better. Bringing back classic flats, new dining options, and utilizing/expanding current assets has been a win-win for Cedar Fair.

I can definitely see this happening in the near future. And a great way to turn a cost issue into a bigger profit for the park. Opposed to a new $15M+ coaster that wont generate significant revenue past the first season.

This one really hits home. I never really even considered that volcano might be near the end of its life. I was always worried about Anaconda and Shockwave, at least when Shockwave was around. I'll say whatever replaces it has big shoes to fill. Volcano was a special ride and it will definitely be missed. I will say I must have been lucky because in my five trips to Kings Dominion I have never actually seen Volcano break down, so I am very thankful for all the rides I got on it.

It was a cool coaster in concept, and the launches were really great! That said, the entire rest of the ride after you popped out of the volcano was kind of...plodding? It seemed to just lazily roll through the inversions, and what seemed like should have been a really cool finale or even second half turns into a brake run.

I'm sad that more people won't get to experience it, but I don't think it was particularly 'great' outside of the unique factor. Whatever replaces it will have a nice footprint of land to work with so I'm excited to see what comes next.

It was a cool coaster in concept, and the launches were really great! That said, the entire rest of the ride after you popped out of the volcano was kind of...plodding? It seemed to just lazily roll through the inversions, and what seemed like should have been a really cool finale or even second half turns into a brake run.

Yeah, I liked Volcano. It was fun, but I didn't get the hype. I probably just didn't ride it enough. Emily really liked it. I actually hope they get rid of the volcano. I think it looks ugly.

Yeah, I liked Volcano. It was fun, but I didn't get the hype. I probably just didn't ride it enough. Emily really liked it. I actually hope they get rid of the volcano. I think it looks ugly.

Agreed all around. When I was younger it was like top 10 omg amazing, with more experience I grew to feel it was fun but not anything great. Launches and fly out the top were A+ but all the slow rolls and turns, meh. It was plodding and I always found the end disappointing, a great dive...into the breaks. I get space was limited but it kinda just built me up just to kill it.

And yeah the Volcano is kind of ugly. I imagine they'd also have alot more freedom to do stuff without it there. I hope it goes as well. Besides, IDK if I want the reminder there, just have a clean break and start totally fresh

I was fortunate to ride the ride on opening weekend last year i think 3 times. It was fun, it was a headbanger and it was unique. Im sad to see it go but also excited for the future of the spot where the ride stood.

I also think the mountain will go with the ride since the ride's supports are intertwined with it. Please enjoy an off-ride video I made on Saturday of the ride:

Agreed all around. When I was younger it was like top 10 omg amazing, with more experience I grew to feel it was fun but not anything great. Launches and fly out the top were A+ but all the slow rolls and turns, meh. It was plodding and I always found the end disappointing, a great dive...into the breaks. I get space was limited but it kinda just built me up just to kill it.

And yeah the Volcano is kind of ugly. I imagine they'd also have alot more freedom to do stuff without it there. I hope it goes as well. Besides, IDK if I want the reminder there, just have a clean break and start totally fresh

Its a rare coaster that combines thrills with Disney/Universal style theming. Those kinds of coasters are more common in Europe, but in America they seem pretty rare. So even the though Volcano was old and surpassed by other thrill rides, it was still the #1 drawing attraction at the park when it was actually running.

Well poop. Made our first ever trip down there this past summer for a few days, and was pretty bummed to find that Volcano was and had been closed for quite a while. Kinda told ourselves it was no big deal, and we could make the trip again in another year or two. I love Intamin launches and this always looked crazy different to me, but oh well.

I've got my popcorn popped waiting on Coasterbill to stir the pot...

Yeah,we were walking around Disneyland when I got a message about this so I'm late to the party but I don't exactly have a groundbreaking take.

It sucks. It really sucks. I understand it but it sucks. I don't think people are wrong for being really disappointed about this news. There are tons of idiots overreacting in hilarious fashion on social media but at this point I've come to expect that.

I knew months in advance that Volcano was going to be closed during my 2018 visit and honestly didn't expect it to open again. Sad I never got a chance to ride it since I love all of the Intamin impulse-type coasters but I'm confident that they will replace it with something great.

Well, this blows. It makes sense, and the writing's been on the wall for some time now, but it blows. This was a huge bucket list ride for me. It was closed when I visited the park in July (shameless plug), and while I was dissapointed, I knew how much of a maintenance nightmare it was and I was pretty confident when I returned to the park it'd be open. Guess not. I'm optimistic for what the future holds, but this is a huge kick to the face for the entire coaster community. Rest in peace, Volcano. We never really formally met, but you meant so much to so many, and for good reason. Godspeed.

bIiplYg.gif

Sadly my guess is a couple years down the road this unique one of a kind attraction gets replaced with a B&M invert. Plus side capacity would be soooo much better

If they could re-use the mountain, it would great to use the mountain for a dark ride, but from what I've heard the problem was mostly the mountain itself, so the mountain will probably be coming down with the ride.

Its anybody's guess as to what KD will add next. B&M inverts aren't that common to build anymore. Only one has been built in America in the last 10 years. Source:

https://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&ml=6717&page=1&order=-8

I think that the better money would be on a dive coaster, traditional B&M hyper, or wing coaster.

Or they'll just add some kind of kiddie area.