TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Dammit! I miss the mushrooms everytime!

I have as well. So today I made it a mission to see them. They were playing on a weird schedule. It seemed to be the 05/20/35/50 today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screamscape is saying they're replacing some track and it won't be open until next year. Take it for what its worth.

Hi Screamscape may be right on this one. When I was at the park a few weeks ago I was talking with a security guard who has been there a long time. She said Volcano will be down the rest of the year. She seemed to be pretty sure. Like anything she could be wrong.

Was at Kings Dominion yesterday for the better part of the day with a buddy. Some notes:

-Platinum Pass got us in the park early. Notably only I had a pass but they let me and my friend through. Now that Early entry is Avalanche/I305, the entry point is between Dominator and Camp Snoopy.

-Early entry got us us two rides on Avalanche with no waiting. Second ride was a reride where we just switched spots without having to walk around. Great ride that I hope they never remove.

-Didn't see any holes in Volcano's mountain; they may have been there but I couldn't see them from the ground or Avalanche's lift.

-Early entry also got us two rides on I305, but we had to walk around. Literally passed out on the second run (back row); came to on the brake run. Probably due to alcohol intake.

-One ride on Flight of Fear. Very back row was roped off, so we were in the front row of the last car.

-Two rides on Twisted Timbers (front and back). Holy amazeballs what an awesome ride. New #1 RMC, and very, very close #2 at this park.

-Got to meet Robb Alvey briefly. Cool guy.

-Went to the waterpark for the next 4 hours. Tornado is long gone with a fence up around its site.

-Got a ride on right side of Rebel Yell, 2nd row. Seems like more of the ride has been retracked since the last time I was here in March, and aside from some jostling leading up to the turnaround, very smooth for an old woodie.

After that we were both feeling pretty tired so headed out.

Apparently they are testing pouches on Twisted Timbers' trains for loose articles. Since I'm not sure what coaster sites are banned from this forum, just do a search for "cell phone pouch on Twisted Timbers" and you'll find it. It's been posted in numerous places on FB.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seriously considering defecting from Six Flags to Cedar Fair as far as passes go.

KD is a 2 hour drive for me; Dorney Park is 2 hours 45 minutes for me.

That and I haven't been to KD since a summer camp day trip in '94 (and I'm realizing KD has a better coaster collection).

I'm seriously considering defecting from Six Flags to Cedar Fair as far as passes go.

That and I haven't been to KD since a summer camp day trip in '94 (and I'm realizing KD has a better coaster collection).

Did you just find out Kings Dominion exists?

(and I'm realizing KD has a better coaster collection).

You mean to tell me the years of Coasterbill telling everyone and their mother to "go to Kings Dominion instead" meant nothing!?

I live 30min from SFA, and 90mins from KD (when the traffic is good, which is like never). I've been to SFA twice this season, and KD 8 times.

But yeah, just get both. A SF season pass is like 25% the cost of a platinum pass.

Keep your Six Flags Pass because it’s dirt cheap but like... yeah, welcome to the dark side.

If you can swing both, you will have access to a park pretty much anywhere you go. Granted, IMO Cedar Fair parks are more consistent across the board in park offerings than SF.

Finally got on Twisted Timbers. It's still having frequent hiccups and ran one train over the past 3 days, but I still had about 10 rides total on Wednesday and yesterday. I can honestly say I like it better than Steel Vengeance. It just does so much in so little space, and it took a good 3-4 rides before I could properly prepare for that gnarly outward-banked turn. Some of those pouches were in place behind your legs on the green train also, but not being used yet. It's virtually impossible to reach the pouch with the restraint down and the shin guard in the way, so I think they could work. Anyone that made it past the front person with a banned item was told to put it in a locker, and was also given some sort of card. A few people returned to the same spot in line, so I'm not sure if that's what the card was for.

One guy yesterday was not having it after being told to put his fanny pack in a locker. He was MF-ing the poor girl just trying to do her job, and security needed to get involved. It's a shame people need to act that way.

Not on Twisted Timbers...it's the same policy as Steel Vengeance at CP.

Yikes. Do they pat you down or what? Or do they just ask you and hope you don't lie? (Sorry I'm asking so many stupid questions... I have yet to go to a park with such a draconian policy)

Yikes. Do they pat you down or what? Or do they just ask you and hope you don't lie? (Sorry I'm asking so many stupid questions... I have yet to go to a park with such a draconian policy)

this is the silliest thing to be obsessing over. . . just put your damn phone in a fluffy bunny.

they are right there across from the entrance to Twisted Timbers (next to Apple Zapple entrance).

sheesh.. . it really isn't that hard.

why in the world would anyone try to sneak their phone on anyways? the way the restraints sit, you don't want ANYTHING in your pockets, zippered or not.

In addition to about 3 or 4 large signs, the person at the front is watching pretty closely and asking everyone if they have a phone. You're allowed keys, wallet, etc. in secured pockets, just not a phone. If you wear glasses without a strap, they'll even tell you to put them in your pocket. The ride operators MUST pull down your lapbar, and they don't allow any riders to do it themselves. If anyone does, they unlock that row and reset until the ride op pulls it down. I'm guessing that's also a way of looking for any sort of phone shaped object in people's pockets that may have slipped through.