TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^ bobbie68, I'm just letting you know that posting multiple times in a row is generally discouraged on TPR (says so in the rules/guidelines).

Next time you want to respond to multiple posts at once, include all posts and responses in the same post like this:

Post 1

your response here

Post 2

your response here

Post 3

your response here

Also can anyone tell me a comparison to flight of fear? I have ridden indoor coasters like Mummy, Skull Mountain, Dark Knight is it close to one of these in terms of dark ness and track? I understand there are different opinions just trying to figure out if this will be a ride we can do. I did watch the you tube video but would love someone on here who has ridden it have some feed back.

Watch the POV for Jokers Jinx @ SFA. Same coaster, but its outside so you can see what it does. Flight of Fear is pretty dark, but there is a tiny bit of light here and there.

which is also the same coaster as Poltergeist at SFFT (my favorite ride there).

I'd absolutely agree on the differing opinions just based on when you ride it.

the one time I was at KD, I don't recall much at all about FoF other than the great queue line. I don't recall much about the coaster at all (which is odd, since it's basically my favorite coaster as Fiesta Texas, just indoors -- BUT the one time we were there, I got a call from the Vet about our dog while we were in the queue. Couldn't listen to it, as it was too loud in there, and wasn't going to get out of a fairly long line. . . . so ended up riding while worrying about what the Vet was calling about (we boarded our diabetic dog with them while we were on vacation).

so yeah, that impacted if I enjoyed the ride or not, I'd say.

looking forward to giving this another ride (or two or three) when back at KD over the summer.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be] Edited by bert425

^ bobbie68, I'm just letting you know that posting multiple times in a row is generally discouraged on TPR (says so in the rules/guidelines).

Next time you want to respond to multiple posts at once, include all posts and responses in the same post like this:

Post 1

your response here

Post 2

your response here

Post 3

your response here

While I understand your point, and you're trying to be helpful, please don't be a "backseat moderator." Thank you.

The only real downside I feel the FoF coasters have compared to Joker's Jinx and Poltergeist are the presence of the midcourse brakes that slow the ride down, though the indoor environment is a plus in their columns.

For some reason, on my first trip to the park this year I enjoyed FoF more than I305 or Volcano ... which was a clue it was time to get over to TT and stand in line.

Regarding food, I did try the Wayside's brisket sandwich 3 or 4 years ago, and that was tiny too. Anyway I tried the pork BBQ there last visit and it was good. If that place is going to be the main BBQ place now, they need to get the brisket right too and REPRESENT. I don't think they have the magic cole slaw anymore, hopefully it will reappear (and as a side at CK)(also they don't show it in the menu board pics anymore). Also cole slaw there comes in a little cup on the side which really isn't enough if you eat the sandwich as a sandwich, which I did for a change instead of eating it with a fork off the bread. They really do have some good things at KD, but it is uneven and expensive and I only ate there a couple times a year (in many, many visits) before getting the Dining Plan. The place can definitely give you an appetite though.

^Hey, Flight of Fear was my favorite at the park as of 2012, so don't feel too weird. I really enjoy the Premier spaghetti bowls, and the darkness adds to the experience, although the headchoppers are wicked on the outdoor ones.

So, I took my oldest three kids, and went to KD for the first time in 16 years, this past Sunday, and in spite of myself not feeling well, we had a great time! Obviously, there were a number of changes since then, and some rather significant additions!

Rather than give you a play by play of the visit, I thought I'd just hit the highlights of my thoughts regarding the park...

-Twisted Timbers blew me away! It became the 4th RMC I have ridden (Lightning Rod, Storm Chaser, and Goliath being the other three), and took things up yet another notch in my opinion! Yes, you read that inference right... I actually prefer it slightly to even the amazing LR! It just had everything, and was paced SO perfectly, from start to finish! What an absolute masterpiece from RMC, and it jumped up into my Top 5 coasters! It also makes me even more excited for Steel Vengeance tonight, which looks like TT on steroids! It was a pretty mild day Sunday, so crowds and lines weren't too bad, and we never had too long of a wait for TT. The only strange thing was once again, the early morning struggles that have been mentioned before, as it didn't open with the park, and tested trains for what seemed like an eternity before it opened. But once it did... Oh boy! Again, every time I ride an RMC it blows my mind, and at this moment, none has done it better than this little gem at KD! (And the merch was almost all fantastic! Love the various TT logos!)

-On the other end of the spectrum, however, are my feelings about Intimidator 305... I'm going to probably stun a lot of you, who seem to love this coaster for some reason, but I was incredibly underwhelmed! It's not that I didn't think it was crazy intense, because it certainly was! But it was not a fun, or exciting intense to me, like an RMC, or The Voyage... It was an oppressive intensity, that made me feel tired and worn out after getting off it, rather than exhilarated, and ready to ride it again. Now granted, I was sick, and already feeling poorly, so I allow that perhaps my impression of it would be different if I felt better going in (not that my sickness dampened my TT experience any.) However, none of my kids, who weren't sick, and love RMC's, Fury, and Millennium Force, wanted to do re-rides on it either. So it wasn't just me... So I guess to each their own, but I-305 isn't sniffing my Top 10 at the moment. I'll definitely ride it again, whenever I return to KD, and perhaps I'll like it better when I'm feeling better. But while I am not a pansy coaster rider (I LOVE The Voyage, as I said before!), it was just too much for me to really "enjoy" as much as I would have hoped to...

-Volcano was still as immensely fun as I remembered it being, but naturally, it was our longest wait of the day, since we went to TT first. Of course, at the end of the day, as temps dropped and people split, there wasn't much of a wait, but we were busy getting our final ride in on TT then!

-Avalanche isn't flashy, but definitely still a fun and unique experience, and one I was glad to get on, before it joins the rest of its rapidly dying breed of Bobsled Coasters!

-I've ridden Dominator a ton before, just not at KD. It's still one of my favorite Floorless Coasters, and if I was feeling better, I would have definitely ridden it more than once! Its placement in the park, and out of the way nature, is a bit odd, but it does provide the park with an impressive entry coaster.

-If it hadn't been so mild out, I would have definitely checked out Shenandoa Lumber Company, after all of coasterbill's hype of it! But alas, it was not in the climate cards for this visit... Hopefully next time!

-My whole family was a huge fan of the Mac n Cheese Bowls, and I would definitely recommend them to anybody who likes meat, pasta, and cheese! I also enjoyed the Southwest Salad I got from Border Burrito, and would recommend that eatery as well!

In closing, I was again very impressed with the park, and much prefer it to Carowinds, even though my favorite coaster (at the time of this writing) is there. I definitely hope to make it back MUCH sooner than 16 years next time!

Not an unreasonable assessment of I305. It's definitely in my top 5, but on a scale ranging from flat-out-fun to manic-intensity, its very far from fun. I find it to be almost an endurance challenge of sorts. I still love the sh*t out of it though, even though I can't believe it actually exists.

^Yeah, it definitely WAS an experience unlike any other! Its reputation as Intense with a capital I is well earned! I'll definitely give it another chance when I'm feeling better, and while I doubt it'll suddenly be a Top 5 coaster for me, I imagine I'll enjoy it more. Also, is it better in the very front, or very back? We only rode in the very back...

Hi sorry about that it is allowed on my other forums and I got confused which one I was on.

No worries. It simply makes more sense to consolidate your replies, rather than making multiple posts. It took me a while to master this, too.

^ And they're cool w/ you not putting your phone in a locker?

^Yeah, it definitely WAS an experience unlike any other! Its reputation as Intense with a capital I is well earned! I'll definitely give it another chance when I'm feeling better, and while I doubt it'll suddenly be a Top 5 coaster for me, I imagine I'll enjoy it more. Also, is it better in the very front, or very back? We only rode in the very back...

I like it better in the back just for the drop. My first ever ride was in the front (while raining) and that was quite the experience. I've ridden it toward the front a few times, I don't have that much of a preference overall but the drop is better in the back.

Edited by boldikus

Not an unreasonable assessment of I305. It's definitely in my top 5, but on a scale ranging from flat-out-fun to manic-intensity, its very far from fun. I find it to be almost an endurance challenge of sorts. I still love the sh*t out of it though, even though I can't believe it actually exists.

Call me a masochist, I think I305 is pure fun and totally re-rideable. To each their own..

Call me a masochist, I think I305 is pure fun and totally re-rideable. To each their own...

I do too, normally. But if I were already feeling a bit iffy, I probably wouldn't want to do a lot of re-rides either.

Thankfully, KD is an awesome, well-balanced park with a ton of other great rides if you're not feeling up for an I305 marathon.

I wore sunglasses through the queue of Twisted Timbers and when I reached the station, I was just instructed to put them away, which I did. Say what you will about cargo shorts, they are a must when I visit the parks. Yeah, they don't look good, but that's because I'M wearing them. Putting me in any type or brand of clothes automatically sullies their reputation.

Also, I305 is a great ride (DEFINITELY a motherfucker, intensity-wise) but I've always preferred Millennium Force for its legacy, commanding presence, and beauty, and Fury 325 for its fast, smooth, free, intense-but-not-wanting-to-kill-you ride experience. Don't know why I suddenly felt the need to drag the other domestic gigas into the conversation, but there you have it.

I guess I need to revisit I305. I took 22 years off from riding coasters and it was the third one I rode after that break. Now I have 35 more coasters under my belt. It seemed super intense when I rode it. My daughter didn't want to re-ride I305 so we got many laps on Volcano, Dominator, FoF and Backlot the day we were there. We will probably stop by KD in June on our first big trip this summer since it's on the way home, even if it's just to ride TT and I305.

1995 - Last coaster ride was Thunder Road at Carowinds

2017 - Next three coaster rides: Dominator, Volcano, I305

Really? On opening day they weren't having any of that. I was still using my zippered pockets, but they were all about the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo.

I had a coat with zippered pockets, where I kept my phone and glasses (in a case). They were checking everyone wearing glasses for straps, though (they wouldn't let me wear mine on Flight of Fear, either).

I guess I need to revisit I305. I took 22 years off from riding coasters and it was the third one I rode after that break. Now I have 35 more coasters under my belt. It seemed super intense when I rode it. My daughter didn't want to re-ride I305 so we got many laps on Volcano, Dominator, FoF and Backlot the day we were there. We will probably stop by KD in June on our first big trip this summer since it's on the way home, even if it's just to ride TT and I305.

1995 - Last coaster ride was Thunder Road at Carowinds

2017 - Next three coaster rides: Dominator, Volcano, I305

Wow . . . . why the 22 year break from riding coasters?

At any rate . . . . nice comeback there

Wow . . . . why the 22 year break from riding coasters?

At any rate . . . . nice comeback there

1995-2017: Got married. Got into whitewater kayaking, recording live music shows and a few other hobbies. Had a kid.

2017: Divorced for 4 years. My 15YO called me one day and said she had just been to Carowinds, had a blast and wanted to go back. I suggested KD and BGW since I never went to those as a kid and they had commercials on our local TV station all the time. We rode Dominator first and I was hooked. It was a Proustian moment, for sure. Then we did Volcano and I305 and I realized coasters had changed a lot in 22 years. Two weeks later we had Platinum Cedar Fair passes and SF Gold passes. We went to Dollywood and SFOG in November. We are taking two ten-day trips this summer hitting 14 new to us parks and possibly over 100 new coasters. The bug has bitten hard! We are only an hour and a half from Carowinds so we can go there anytime we like. KD is only three hours so it may get a few visits this year as well.

I'm meeting my friends at the park tomorrow, and they're trying not to pay for parking. Is there a place they could park their car for the day outside so they could just pile into mine?

On a different note, how is TT doing? Have they figured out the issues? I told them to get there early so we could go ride it before it gets crowded, but if it has issues opening with the park I'd go do Volcano first.

I'm meeting my friends at the park tomorrow, and they're trying not to pay for parking. Is there a place they could park their car for the day outside so they could just pile into mine?

On a different note, how is TT doing? Have they figured out the issues? I told them to get there early so we could go ride it before it gets crowded, but if it has issues opening with the park I'd go do Volcano first.

Twisted Timbers didn't open with the park last Friday, but that was due to the cold weather delaying their morning testing. It looks like it'll be 10 degrees warmer tomorrow, so cooler temperatures shouldn't be an issue. Once the ride opened, I didn't see it go down at all on Friday. The second row was blocked off though.