TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Overall it's just a perfect coaster

Regarding Intimidator305...

Let me preface this by saying that I really do love this ride and would place it high among the "elite" coasters I've ridden. It's wildly intense, super fast, and has some of the most mind-numbingly awesome transitions outside of Maverick. That said, I guess I still just don't "get it" the way some people seem to--especially those who refer to it as perfect. I've probably ridden it upwards of fifteen times in all different types of weather and in all different seats and rows, and I still can't shake the feeling that the first drop is a bit of a letdown. Don't get me wrong...the pullout of the drop into the first airtime hill is bonkers, but the drop itself has always been kind of "meh" for me. I would compare it to something like riding Lex Luthor or one of the other huge Intamin drop towers: sure, it's a big drop and it's great, but it somehow doesn't have the kick to it that one of the Larson towers has. Similarly, I find I305's drop to pale even in comparison to something like Grizzly just across the park, which seems to leave your stomach 90 feet in the air while the rest of your body falls into the forest.

Also, I still haven't been able to get past the fact that the last 1/3rd of Intimidator feels very Great Bear-ish in the sense that it's essentially just a long preamble to the brake run. Once the train hits that trim coming into the first of the lower airtime hills parallel to the lift, the ride is essentially over, with all the relentlessness sucked from the experience. Sure, you get one last quick side-to-side transition, but I cannot help but wonder how much fun the end of the ride would be without the heavy trim. And look, I get that trims are necessary, but they don't necessarily need to neuter the ride experience. I think of a coaster like Diamondback, for instance. Trims galore, but you still feel like it's running the way it was designed to run. I still feel like the end of I305 was supposed to be bat-out-of-hell awesome, but instead is just okay. And for me, it's that lack of awesomeness where it seems that awesomeness should be prevalent that hurts so much. I'd almost prefer it just rocketed into a Leviathan-esque brake run at the top of that first airtime hill--then at least it would feel like you're going out with a bang.

I don't know. Just one man's opinion. I really do love the thing, just not as much as some, apparently.

Overall it's just a perfect coaster

Regarding Intimidator305...

Let me preface this by saying that I really do love this ride and would place it high among the "elite" coasters I've ridden. It's wildly intense, super fast, and has some of the most mind-numbingly awesome transitions outside of Maverick. That said, I guess I still just don't "get it" the way some people seem to--especially those who refer to it as perfect. I've probably ridden it upwards of fifteen times in all different types of weather and in all different seats and rows, and I still can't shake the feeling that the first drop is a bit of a letdown. Don't get me wrong...the pullout of the drop into the first airtime hill is bonkers, but the drop itself has always been kind of "meh" for me. I would compare it to something like riding Lex Luthor or one of the other huge Intamin drop towers: sure, it's a big drop and it's great, but it somehow doesn't have the kick to it that one of the Larson towers has. Similarly, I find I305's drop to pale even in comparison to something like Grizzly just across the park, which seems to leave your stomach 90 feet in the air while the rest of your body falls into the forest.

Also, I still haven't been able to get past the fact that the last 1/3rd of Intimidator feels very Great Bear-ish in the sense that it's essentially just a long preamble to the brake run. Once the train hits that trim coming into the first of the lower airtime hills parallel to the lift, the ride is essentially over, with all the relentlessness sucked from the experience. Sure, you get one last quick side-to-side transition, but I cannot help but wonder how much fun the end of the ride would be without the heavy trim. And look, I get that trims are necessary, but they don't necessarily need to neuter the ride experience. I think of a coaster like Diamondback, for instance. Trims galore, but you still feel like it's running the way it was designed to run. I still feel like the end of I305 was supposed to be bat-out-of-hell awesome, but instead is just okay. And for me, it's that lack of awesomeness where it seems that awesomeness should be prevalent that hurts so much. I'd almost prefer it just rocketed into a Leviathan-esque brake run at the top of that first airtime hill--then at least it would feel like you're going out with a bang.

I don't know. Just one man's opinion. I really do love the thing, just not as much as some, apparently.

I always wondered why the trim break wasn’t placed right after the airtime hill instead of before because the trim really kills it, but it is what it is, still a phenomenal coaster.

I'm sure Dominator has it's good days, and maybe the good days outnumber the bad days.

As for I-305, I thought it was relentless from start to finish. They were only running 1 train so is it possible that I experienced it with the trim off? As for the drop, I thought it was as good as anything I have ever experienced besides the beyond vertical drop of Maverick, and maybe Lightning Run. Saying that it pales in comparison to Grizzly?!?!?! I can't comprehend that because I thought every part of Grizzly just sucked.

As for I-305, I thought it was relentless from start to finish. They were only running 1 train so is it possible that I experienced it with the trim off? As for the drop, I thought it was as good as anything I have ever experienced besides the beyond vertical drop of Maverick, and maybe Lightning Run. Saying that it pales in comparison to Grizzly?!?!?! I can't comprehend that because I thought every part of Grizzly just sucked.

I share your confusion, even though I don't hate Grizzly.

We thought Dominator was running amazing on opening day.

Agreed, when me and my group rode Dominator opening day we all commented on how wonderful smooth it was running. We rode multiple times that day.

As for I-305, I thought it was relentless from start to finish. They were only running 1 train so is it possible that I experienced it with the trim off?

The trim on I305 is in a fixed position. It can’t be turned off.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does the trim on I305 ever get switched off (like Holiday World does for the Voyage)? How long has it been in place? Cause I could have sworn that two years ago when I rode it for the first time, I felt no trim and it was one of the most incredible rides ever.

...Got on a load of stuff in the 3 hours it was open including 10 times on I305.

And you're still alive?!

I don't think my body could handle 10 times on i305.

Oh yeah I'm alive and well haha. I agree though that it was pushing it. Well worth it though. Such an amazing ride. I had forgotten how much I loved it.

...Got on a load of stuff in the 3 hours it was open including 10 times on I305.

And you're still alive?!

I don't think my body could handle 10 times on i305.

I went for a 2 hour marathon on I305 of 10 times. Would of went more too but I needed to take advantage of my meal plan before the park closed. Granted the next day I was completely useless all day.

I have yet to ride TT but best ride in the park will always be subjective opinion. I think once I have ridden I’ll probably still prefer I305 just due to the raw intensity. It’s my favorite steel coaster overall I don’t know what will surpass it for me. El Toro is the only roller coaster I’d rather ride than Intimidator 305.

I don't care to compare them. I just think it's awesome that you now have to stop and think about what your favorite ride at KD is. That alone is a testament to how good this ride is.

I've been asked both on and off the job which ride is better. I personally say I305 in response, but I honestly don't know which ride is better. They're both awesome.

I don't care to compare them. I just think it's awesome that you now have to stop and think about what your favorite ride at KD is. That alone is a testament to how good this ride is.

^

This. Then the supporting cast is so good too, it's not like Carowinds or CW, where everything else kinda falls off after the top 2-3. It's just a really excellent park, and I'm glad I live so close.

^

This. Then the supporting cast is so good too, it's not like Carowinds or CW, where everything else kinda falls off after the top 2-3. It's just a really excellent park, and I'm glad I live so close.

Yeah, its come a long way in the world. I think that the park had some duds earlier on and were a little stunted by them, kind of like Hypersonic. I think in the 80's and 90's it was a top tier park as well for its time. Conceivably, if Hypersonic was a hit, and they had kept building, it could have been a great park. Now that you have the additions of Twisted Timbers, i305, and Dominator its certainly coming up in the world.

It's kinda wild to me that about 12 years ago I was at KD thinking "man this park could use a few star coasters other than Volcano" then they proceeded to add Dominator, Intimidator 305, and now Twisted Timbers.

So after riding TT we hit Grizzly and that thing is just garbage. Easily the roughest roller coaster I've ever been on. Throughout the whole ride I was thinking that they RMC'd the wrong coaster...

Lol, nah they got it right, but Grizzly would be a solid #2 to get a RMC treatment. Looking forward to getting to the park very soon to ride TT.

Oh, the loudest lift hill goes to Batwing at SFA. Maybe, just because your head is right next to three chain.

Thanks for the info!!

Are you people serious? Grizzly is running great! That ride is criminally underrated.

Wooden coasters aren't supposed to be glass smooth. Not everything will be like an RMC or a brand new GCI. Grizzly is fantastic!

Yeah I honestly liked grizzly. Maybe not the smoothest but the second half of the ride was pretty fast and crazy. Not the best but definitely not the worst, at least in my opinion. To each his own

I went with a group of 4 opening day. At the end of the day 2 of us thought I305 was the best in the park and 2 of us picked Twisted Timbers.

On a side note of multiple I305 rides. Not all of these were straight in a row but opening weekend 2017 I rode I305 47 times in a single day.