TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I had that exact sign memorized for every time there was a huge line-up at Millennium's entrance last year... man did people hate me

It's nice to see them taking initiative with capacity for their new coaster though, and having the staffing to enforce it properly is good to see (park security at the entrance).

For those worried about the wind gusts and such, most rides at Kings Dominion don't usually close until wind gusts reach the 30s. The taller rides in the park (Drop Tower, Windseeker) keep track of the wind speed and make the call to temporarily delay operation if need be. Tallest rides usually close first in a case like this (aforementioned rides, i305, etc.). I cannot speak for how wind affects the speed of a coaster, but I assume it wouldn't affect it too much unless the wind reaches 30mph or above. So with that being said, I wouldn't worry at all about 15-20mph.

I've been a longtime browser but a first-time poster! Glad to be here!

On the subject of hats... you can secure them in a pocket (per the sign) but do so before entering the queue. If they see you wearing it then won't let you in the queue even if you tell them you plan to secure it in your pocket later. That was super weird. We just hung ours on the fence... as did everyone else. lol

On the subject of hats... you can secure them in a pocket (per the sign) but do so before entering the queue. If they see you wearing it then won't let you in the queue even if you tell them you plan to secure it in your pocket later. That was super weird. We just hung ours on the fence... as did everyone else. lol

Interestingly, today some, but not all, of the gate attendants were not letting people leave their hats and bags on the fence by the entrance. I walked up and the kids in front of me went to hang their bag on the fence right in front the attendant, and there were already tons of bags hanging there, but the attendant gave them a very stern "No!" as if they were a "bad dog," and pointed them to the lockers.

^My guess is a manager or supervisor saw that and lectured them to not let people do that shortly before that. At least KDs lockers aren't anything like Busch Gardens locker policy which I found out yesterday is fairly intense compared to KD. But I do like the $10 transferable locker option as I will certainly be using that everytime I go to BGW.

But I do like the $10 transferable fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo option as I will certainly be using that everytime I go to BGW.

That was one of the things I liked about the lockers when I visited SWO/BGT for the first time last year. Every big ride had a set by the entrance and you could by a transferable locker. Even if you don't force people to use the locker for every ride why do you not make them available? I would much rather get a transferable locker and put my phone, wallet, etc. in a locker before getting on each ride and be able to have access to them as soon as I get off the ride.

Transferable storage units is something I REALLY wish parks like Cedar Point could figure out. I would gladly pay an upcharge for the convenience of having my stuff with me during the day and not having to constantly hike so far to retrieve things. $20 would be worth it for me, so $10 sounds like a dream.

Fanny packs are indeed not allowed on Twisted Timbers.

If what you have is hidden under your shirt and not bulging too much you MIGHT get away with it. I wouldn't hold my breath however.

Here is a photo posted in a comment on FB about the loose article policy for TT (I would assume it's the same as Intimidator 305 & Flight Of Fear as they installed fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo at both & removed the bins).

29595230_10209642321608531_1777302994522963539_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeEryPHyykY8u6nrVzJ6v7CU2uA5RCBtXXOkGT8a-smSrrIQrEqevH2exaDQ9RHBg1PaSwZziEBjTsBdzWj-0cK16_D0mlc_ihqiu5_VHEEVOA&oh=dae714231a6bb3ee92a66d65d9ceea25&oe=5B2980ED

Thanks for the info! I plan on getting a season pass so, I'll just use the lockers, marathon this sucker during ERT, get my crap and go on about my day.

There's a crazy lack of consistency, so we just kept asking whatever greeter happened to be there at the time and doing whatever they said we could do. Sometimes they said we could bring the hats if we secured them later, other times they said we couldn't but they said that we could hang them on the fence. Other times we just secured them before we got in line (we forgot a few times since it's such a weird rule). we just chalked it up to the fact that it was early in the season. It's weird, but no big deal. I'm sure they'll figure it out eventually.

^That honestly is something surprising to me as well. Maybe they weren't selling much last year? You would think with Intimidator 305 being the headlining coaster at KD that they would have kept their gift shop for it.

^That honestly is something surprising to me as well. Maybe they weren't selling much last year? You would think with Intimidator 305 being the headlining coaster at KD that they would have kept their gift shop for it.

I would suspect something to do with a NASCAR contract maybe?

(when we were there a couple of years ago, practically everything in the gift shop was 1/2 off, and the place was still a ghost town).

I think people need to use common sense when describing park policy. I can't believe any park official would state it is ok to hang items on a fence (or hide backpacks in the shrubbery, which I have seen people do.) Just because a better chooses to ignore infractions, does not mean park policy has changed.

Edited by larrygator

I imagine that the lockers were likely full when we were there on opening day since everyone rushed to the ride at once which may have been the reason they were openly offering that up to everyone as an option but I have no idea. I walked up to the greeter (who was standing with a security guard), they told me that I couldn't wear a hat into the line and that I could put it in a locker or hang it along the fence but that they weren't responsible for lost or stolen articles. It was at most a $5 hat so I gladly did what they asked, put it with the dozens of other hats and got in line.

I agree that it was weird but I wasn't going to question them. I'm not at all surprised that they're no longer telling people to do that since it was definitely strange.

Edited by coasterbill

but why the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo for Flight of Fear

What did people do with FoF before? There couldn't have been bins. I guess the new policy is just that you can't have any "loose articles" on the ride, right?

There were bins near the back of the train on the load side of the platform. You would exit the ride and then walk through a hallway to get back to the station where you could grab your loose articles. It was weird.

I like the change. Personally I'm always in favor of getting rid of bins in exchange for better capacity.

Actually, back in the days before the bins, there was a ride op with a buggy that would roll all the way down the aisle collecting loose articles. They would then park that buggy in the unload station where you'd collect your items, grab an empty buggy and take it back to the load platform for the next train.

Considering this, I am not really surprised by them changing the policy.

Actually, back in the days before the bins, there was a ride op with a buggy that would roll all the way down the aisle collecting loose articles. They would then park that buggy in the unload station where you'd collect your items, grab an empty buggy and take it back to the load platform for the next train.

I recall them doing this with Volcano back in the day as well.

I was there with Larry on Saturday, too. Oh well, there will be other days to ride Twisted Timbers.

Sorry I didn't bump into you guys and that you didn't get on Twisted Timbers! Maybe next time.

Per Bert's excellent secretarial skills demonstrated a few pages back, I was indeed able to snag a ride on Twisted Timbers when it opened later in the evening. I messaged "Voyage" about it but didn't have time to post here since I quickly threw my stuff in a bunny bin and got in line, which they promptly closed not long after for a short while for unknown reasons and then reopened it again for the remainder of the night. Really enjoyed it, super smooth, and that barrel roll drop was wild. Volcano is still my favorite ride at the park because I'm a sucker for launch coasters but Timbers is a close 2nd.

Someone asked about loose articles on TT: Glasses with tightened straps are allowed. I was told I could not enter the queue with my small black fanny pack or my visor so I went and put it in a bunny bin. However, the lady behind me in line as well as at least 10 other people in line not far back from me entered with various items including hats they were wearing, large messenger bags, fanny packs, and brightly colored draw string bags packed to the brim. The ops would then take the item from them and put it on the unload platform while they rode. So, who knows. Operations are slow enough with those restraints so I'm happy to put my things in a bunny to try to speed things up!

After processing my mom's Platinum Pass we finally entered the park at 12:15pm. We rode: Rebel Yell x2 (blue side was extra awesome), Drop Zone, Apple Zapple, I-305, Stunt Coaster, Volcano, I-305 again, Boo Blasters, Scooby Doo Coaster, Twisted Timbers back row, and a front seat ride on Volcano to end the night - where we were the only ones on the train! It was awesome.

I don't recall that on FoF, but I didn't ride it much then. I do know for one year after the bins they had people put their stuff on the inner side of the train and carried it through, and then next year brought the bins back. I don't think they affected throughput much -- mostly the few that didn't use them. I think it's part theft problems, part interference with Fast Lane (I really miss the reride cuthrough), and of course a bit of money grab, plus it's not as bad when I305 is doing it next door ... I may be clocking dispatches to see if I think that did anything.

Since TT will tend to be mobbed a while it is worthwhile to speed that one up, but they ought to put in bins in a couple years. As their policy doesn't ban pocket items, I expect an increase in lost phones due to lack of bins. I don't know of anywhere on these rides as likely to cause high speed rider impact with a flying item as Toro or Ka, fortunately.

The new FoF locker policy seams really odd. At KI, you're allowed to keep bags at your feet, as the the ride's g-forces are exclusively positive. They do have cubbies at the rear of the station (previous FL merge point) available for use, as well. (Those are often used by Firehawk riders who don't want to pay for a locker.)