TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

What an angst-filled ride that was on Windseeker...a line forming outside of TT while I was stuck rotating around 300 feet in the air. Thankfully, we managed to get into the front of the line forming outside the formal queue,

Wait... So the line was forming outside the queue while you were riding Windseeker... And yet you "managed to get into the front of the line" somehow! "Oh, whoops! Look as this! We just accidentally happened to cut everybody waiting in line before us!"

I'm sorry if there's more to that than it appears at first blush, because that's exactly what it sounds like from what you wrote!

^Ha. Poor wording on my part, I suppose. By front, I mean the front compared to how the line looked twenty minutes after I was in it, not as in "I was the absolute first dude in this line and there wasn't another soul ahead of me." For context, we got on the first train, but in the back row (which is what I was hoping for, anyway), as just about all the other rows filled up first. They were not assigning rows, thankfully. It seemed to take people a while to figure out that the ride was opening/open, as there still wasn't much of a crowd after we exited.

I think TC has an intensity that TT doesn't have yet. And I think TC is incredible in the front seat, and beyond belief in the back seat. I think TT is pretty damn good in the front seat, and incredible in the back seat. And for that reason, I give TC a very, very slight edge. But ranking is ultimately stupid, and nobody cares about my opinion.

No argument from me! Both are really really good roller coasters.

Also, I completely agree with what was said elsewhere on this thread: the hill/drop before the on-ride photo was the real surprise. I honestly can't even remember where that was on the ride, only that I recall thinking in that moment, "Well, that's going to be one unflattering picture."

Boldikus did you get your revenge on Grizzley?

Funnily enough I did not! The Grizzly was a cranky b*tch all day and we couldn't seem to pass it while it was running. With Twisted Timbers, I305, Volcano and Dominator in the same park, its not hard to not care about Grizzly lol.

Okay, time for the elephant in the room....

Are the restraints to Twisted Timbers accomodating or restrictive to larger riders?

I saw quite a few walks of shame throughout the day, more than I expected, including one immediately before my first ride that had me sweating in anticipation if I would fit. I'd been working to drop some pounds the last few months, mostly as I have problems with my chest/stomach on B&Ms with older OTSRs, but was also hoping I didn't have to get stapled on TT. I was elated to find the crew did not even have to staple me and I had plenty of room to be thrown around.

Report coming, but I didn't have any issues with any rides all weekend. I'll have more to say in the report - give me a couple days - lots of pictures and awesome moments of a completely amazing opening weekend at two of the best parks ever with a few of my favorite people ever. Still collecting my thoughts on the weekend but TT is absolutely a top 10 ride for me. I also fell really hard for Kings Dominion in general this weekend - I somehow love it more than after my first visit. What an absolutely fantastic park and one of my favorites.

I am making plans to go to Kings Dominion this coming Sunday April 1st and Monday April 2nd. I was just curious what the lines have been like at Twisted Timbers on opening weekend? I am planning to buy a Fastlane pass on Sunday if needed as I don't get to visit this park very often. Also, how are the crowds usually during the week of Spring break?

I am making plans to go to Kings Dominion this coming Sunday April 1st and Monday April 2nd. I was just curious what the lines have been like at Twisted Timbers on opening weekend? I am planning to buy a Fastlane pass on Sunday if needed as I don't get to visit this park very often. Also, how are the crowds usually during the week of Spring break?

It depends if they're running one train or two. If it's one train, expect ~1 hour lines for TT. Crowds have been low though, through the first three days. Everything else has had a 5 min wait or less. Don't forget Sunday the 1st is Easter; I'm not sure what that'll do for attendance, although I imagine it'll be really light for the first few hours.

I got to visit Kings Dominion on Saturday and I gotta say Twisted Timbers is one amazing ride! Once you go through the first drop the ride is relentless all the way to the end! I thought the 3 straight airtime hill were best in the front row, however I thought the rest of the ride was best in the back row. Just like most rides, even watching the POV many times the day before their were still moments that surprised me when I rode!

It was also great running into Coasterbill, Boldikus, ElToroRyan, & Lightningloops. Get out to Kings Dominion in 2018 and ride Twisted Timbers! It'll knock your socks off!

So how close to the station is the Fast Lane merge point for TT?

The Fast Lane merges right at the grouper, my group had fast lane on Saturday and other than waiting for the front and back rows we only waited 2-3 trains each time we rode.

^Josh basically covered my thoughts on the ride too. What surprised me was how well the ride not only ran in the cold weather, but still picked up very noticeable speed throughout the day. Take a ride like El Toro where it feels like it was meant to run faster through the course on a cold morning, and then gets faster - this ride was having none of that. The first ride felt as though it was designed to run that speed - and then by late afternoon into nighttime (even when the temp started falling to around 40 degrees again) it kept picking up speed and intensity throughout the day!

While I loved the “mini Toro” three airtime hills, my favorite part was the third turn by the station in the back row. Super aggressive laterals with ejector airtime pulling out. Pretty spectacular, and an amazing ride.

And as said, it was great to meet some others on the forums! Catch you guys at Millennium Force this summer?

i was at media day as an ACE member.......late posting a TR. my main point of praise for the ride (biased since KD has been my home park my whole life) is to see the hurler re-purposed in such a terrific way. what a nice face lift for the area!

agree with all previous posts about it being a great ride.....intense but not too intense. love the triple airtime hills and smoothness. can't wait to ride it in the summer once it warms up. also very happy to meet alan schilke and fred grubb at media day! #legends

NOW should carowinds follow suit?

Not right now. I think hurler at carowinds has a different condition and among different company than KD's. KD still has 2 more adult size wooden coasters so hurler really isnt a major loss. If I ran the world, I would ONLY convert hurler under the condition a new wooden coaster were to be built prior to it happening. And I wouldn't want both RMC hurlers to have the same layouts, but I would keep the middle section the same lol, its damn near perfect.

interesting point.....i hope carowinds either demo's their hurler or does some wild RMC alternate version that is way different than the "paper clip" version at KD. given carowinds hurler proximity to fury, if they revamped it with something insane, imagine the 1-2 combo right there in that plaza.

Can anyone weigh in on how the ride compares to Storm Chaser? Does it have the same convulsion time ending?

I personally liked it a lot more than Storm Chaser. Storm Chaser just felt like a collection of elements, this feels like an actual ride. And though there's a ton of little bumps, nothing like the end of SC that just jerks you around rag-doll style.

Hope its cool to post this, stumbled upon this awesome offride footage of TT. His channel is pretty great with lots of awesome offride footage of various coasters.

Eliza will take care of it.

satisfied%2Bgif.gif

I have to comment because as KT is a Hamilton enthusiast that is in fact Angelica!

No one ever cares about Peggy lol.

I may have seen some of you all but since I broke my glasses first thing as I got there, I couldn't see crap!

^Honestly at this point anything they add is just like a bonus. (*hides before the crazy B&M Hyper people show up*). I currently live in VA and plan to move to Houston in 2 years and I am going to miss the crap out of KD and Busch Gardens once I am down there.

^Honestly at this point anything they add is just like a bonus. (*hides before the crazy B&M Hyper people show up*). I currently live in VA and plan to move to Houston in 2 years and I am going to miss the crap out of KD and Busch Gardens once I am down there.

Dude I'm moving to Tampa at the end of August and I'm so bummed haha, BUT I WILL MAKE MY WAY BACK TO KD!!! WE BOTH WILL!! We can't just give up on KD because we're moving. We can't do it lol.

Eliza will take care of it.

satisfied%2Bgif.gif

I have to comment because as KT is a Hamilton enthusiast that is in fact Angelica!

No one ever cares about Peggy lol.

Lol, poor Peggy. She was actually pretty badass IRL though. She hid her sisters during the Revolution when their estate was raided by British sympathisers, facing down armed men and saving her whole family with quick thinking. At the time Eliza was pregnant with Philip Hamilton, the very one who is prominent in Act II of the musical. Peggy died too young, but she kept that family together.

Hope its cool to post this, stumbled upon this awesome offride footage of TT. His channel is pretty great with lots of awesome offride footage of various coasters.

The reviews here said Twisted Timbers is intense and this video captures it perfectly. I wasn't too excited for this coaster prior to it opening, but now I can't wait to ride it someday. I have never been to Kings Dominion and hopefully my first trip finally happens next year.