TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Twisted Timbers looks really good also glad they arent renaming Rebel Yell! Its already bad enough the SJWs ended up changing the bride scene on Pirates of the Caribbean we didn't need to give them another win (that and Racer 75 is a stupid name)!

Twisted Timbers looks really good also glad they arent renaming Rebel Yell! Its already bad enough the SJWs ended up changing the bride scene on Pirates of the Caribbean we didn't need to give them another win (that and Racer 75 is a stupid name)!

I really hope this post is satire

One thing I keep hearing from those who got to ride today is how quiet the trains are. I wonder if that has to do with the newer generation of RMC trains being used?

I remember when Wicked Cyclone opened it kept doing those screeching sounds through the rolls.

Glad they improved the trains, Wicked Cyclone and Twisted Colossus were making horrible grinding noises opening year.

One thing I keep hearing from those who got to ride today is how quiet the trains are. I wonder if that has to do with the newer generation of RMC trains being used?

I remember when Wicked Cyclone opened it kept doing those screeching sounds through the rolls.

Glad they improved the trains, Wicked Cyclone and Twisted Colossus were making horrible grinding noises opening year.

The new chassis wheel assemblies have like 30%+ more wheels than gen 1 RMC trains. In theory, this means more force distributed between the wheels and a smoother ride overall. I also believe their running entirely polyurethane on here.

Rocky Mountain shared our video post: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1613095612060886&id=154373424599786

If everyone could go give them a "thumbs up" or write something in support of them using TPR's video we would greatly appreciate it since all the angry coaster enthusiasts are piling on the idiocracy. Thanks!

checks calendar. . nope, not April 1st yet.

scratches head.

um. . .ok then, you keep believing in yourself!

I have to agree with what someone said earlier about how cool it is to see RMC doing some straight airtime hills. I love all the crazy elements they put into their coasters, but this ride seems to feature more of a mix of traditional hills (probably with the wonderful ejector we’ve come to expect from RMC) and the overbanks and twists they’ve always used. Ride and TPR POV footage look awesome! I look forward to getting back to KD in the next couple of years.

i saw a couple short instagram clips, but if anyone has any photos of the work done on the surrounding area (apple zapple, r̶a̶c̶e̶r̶ ̶7̶5̶ rebel yell, mac n' cheese shop, etc) or the queue which looked absolutely fantastic, please post em!!

Oh man, the best part of satire is the people who completely miss that it's satire and get all worked up.

Loved my first rides on TT. Every single hill popped me out of my seat. Yeah it's got some traditional air time hills, but it's also got that RMC flair with the all the crazy direction changes. And I know it's opening day, but it was the smoothest coaster I've ever been on. Glossy is an understatement. It's also really quiet as the trains rolls along the track, for whatever that's worth.

I got walked.....Oh well at least the three rides on i305 made up for it. Back to the gym....

sorry to hear that. . I know you were concerned about that.

but you got a great consolation prize, and you have the whole summer to keep working towards the goal!

Looks really good from the POV. It should be nice and warmed-up for me in June! The only drawback I can even think of is the limitations of the original Hurler layout, but I think RMC did a bang-up job given what they had to start with. This looks every bit like the second elite coaster Kings Dominion needed.

I absolutely loved Kings Dominion when I first visited last July. I was impressed with so many of the rides, and now with Twisted Timbers thrown in the mix, dare I say Kings Dominion has the best coaster lineup in the chain behind Cedar Point. I’m jealous of all of you riding this thing this weekend!

I just got home from a very long day that began with a trip to KD and so here is my mini-TR of the media event and official opening of Twisted Timbers.

This morning I had to get up quite early to get to KD by around 9:30, and because my boyfriend drives with a bit of a lead foot we got there a little before 9. It was quite chilly outside but at least the sun was nice and bright, and I was comfortable in several layers of clothing. My boyfriend is not a coaster person and so he went off to do some thrift store shoppping. Unfortunately the battery in my car died in the parking lot but he was able to find a park security person to give him a jump so he could get a new battery.

Anyway, the first order of the day (once the crowd was walked back to the TT area was to pause for some brief speeches by various park management. During this time Charlie Brown and Snoopy also made their appearance. Then finally we were given the go ahead to get in line to take our first rides. For me, this was fairly monumental, since I had never set foot on or laid eyes on an RMC-ed coaster before. The good thing was that they gave us free locker access for the entire event, but the bad thing was that I wasn't even able to take my fanny pack on ride (which I had bought especially for that purpose - to hold my phone and a couple other things while I rode. That made it a bit more challenging to get pics of the station and trains. This was also when I wished I had accepted my BF's offer to borrow one of his jackets - one with zippered pockets in it! So be aware that they won't even allow fanny packs on this coaster (I don't recall not being able to take fanny packs on the park's other coasters; but then again I have not been to KD in at least 5 years.

So, after about a 15 minute wait, I was finally up to the gates. The trains were quite different from any I had ever seen, and once I climbed into my seat I realized how problematic that type of restraint might be for someone who was larger and/or taller than I. I had no issues with it at all, and the only thing I wasn't crazy about was being stapled a couple of times. But luckily the lap bar sits lower than the restraint on El Toro so I did not feel like I was being punched in the upper abdomen every time I hit an airtime hill.

They were more or less placing people in rows, so my first ride was about 4 rows back from the front. I was not expecting roughness so I really wasn't worried about where I might have to sit. Once the train was dispatched we were soon upon the lift hill. Someone in another thread mentioned that RMC lifts are loud, and that was indeed the case. So we had a clanging, clattering ride to the top, though I wasn't sure how going into an inversion even before the middle of the first drop would be. I have never been a big fan of any kind of inversion on any kind of coaster that includes any part that is a traditional woodie - in other words, IMO leave the loops and rolls to the full steel coasters. I did not feel that they detracted from the ride, nor did I think that they added much to it either. That said, the aforementioned 360 roll was very smooth (very B&M like - a "hearline" roll where you just seem to float in your seat) as was the transition into the bottom of the drop and then into the over bank curve. It was after that point that the real fun began - it was the "attack of the killer airtime"!

I would put TT on a par with El Toro and maybe even just a couple of notches below Skyrush. TT has, by far, the most air in the park. Let's put it this way: after about 3 rides or so, I could feel my legs getting sore due to being thrust hard against the lap bar. And TT has so many air-time hills + the portion of trick-track near the end caught me quite by surprise (a very pleasant one at that), because I was not in the front and therefore could not see it coming. The air doesn't peter out until the train is on the brake block.

I quite happy now to live roughly within a triad of killer air-time (no park more than 2.5 hours away)- Skyrush to the north, El toro to the east and now Twisted Timbers to the south. If I were to re-rank my favorite coasters, TT would for sure be in the top ten.

So, without further adieu, here are some of the pics I took this morning (I am going to link these to an online gallery because they are large images + my internet is running real slow tonight):

20180323_113151_resized.jpg

20180323_113329_resized.jpg

Here are some of the opening ceremony where they showed a time lapse of the building of TT and one of the ceremony:

media_day6.jpg

media_day7.jpg

Here are a couple of pics of the food buffet they had set up infront of the Juke Box diner:

20180323_113102_resized.jpg

20180323_113127_resized.jpg

They had sliders, breakfast food, cockail shrimp, and various kinds of sweets. Here is a pic of some of what they had - the things on the sticks are chocolate covered strawberries.

20180323_121540_001_resized.jpg

Here are several pics of TT itself, of variuos parts of the ride (the pathway gives ample opportunities to take great pics):

20180323_113644_resized.jpg

20180323_113716_resized.jpg

20180323_113901_resized.jpg

20180323_113925_resized.jpg

And some of the themeing:

20180323_114214_resized.jpg

The station:

20180323_114517_resized.jpg

Nice shiny new lift motor:

20180323_114630_resized_1.jpgMy selfie:

20180323_115234_resized.jpg

My on-ride pic (yes I'm holding on at that point because I was still getting used to the awesome airtime):

Me_on_TT.jpg

Finally a shot of a train going up the lift hill:

20180323_114557_resized.jpg

Just got back from Passholder Preview night and was able to get two rides on Twisted Timbers, once in the back and once in the middle. Even though I305 still remains my favorite at the park, Twisted Timbers easily falls right behind it. The barrel roll drop is one of the coolest things I've experienced and the ride has plenty of great airtime moments. I definitely can't wait to ride it more this season.

Some pictures...

20180323_170338.thumb.jpg.a7548ace3b6e0c87eeb8aee7d8fc7d84.jpg

20180323_192206.thumb.jpg.23d11f082cd0b38ca412cbe35bf60542.jpg

20180323_192408.thumb.jpg.9207cc2dd4a283bca134af080f621789.jpg

20180323_210338.thumb.jpg.185fd2cbea1d5514ba5d0f60da002d86.jpg

20180323_210328.thumb.jpg.4e39140d1152ee78c236bfc6cc372e0c.jpg

Thought I'd add some photos before I pass out...

20180323_170942.thumb.jpg.fee7ce60cdcb5a9a567ac64cc6a712e7.jpg

The line before the line. They actually removed the blue train, so it was only running 1 train all day.

20180323_173442.thumb.jpg.56dd50ee2a6e3f79222d0bf57f6713ee.jpg

Twisted air time

20180323_173451.thumb.jpg.5226a8fdf576b6223011598fe4783404.jpg

Love the grove. Really nice landscaping here.

20180323_173518.thumb.jpg.fe62c35f66f907351593373727446a64.jpg

Little hill. Big air time!

20180323_173543.thumb.jpg.90678e37f67d57ebc296588252ed9e19.jpg

Love how you can see where the wheels don't touch the top of the track. This crazy turn is the only time the wheels actually squeak a bit too.

20180323_194225.thumb.jpg.744f5360901216189b0cd5061a2f4028.jpg

I like this picture even though the train is blurry. It was actually much darker than it appears, and my camera left the shutter open for a while.

IMG_20180323_173801_866.thumb.jpg.a0601bc31008f2f0643bb204089e3311.jpg

Love the way you feel like you get yanked through this first drop. Especially when you're sitting in the back.