TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Quick question here regarding the Platinum Pass...

I've never owned a season pass for any park, as I've never really had the need. But this year i'll be in the unique situation of living in DC for the first half of the summer and then moving to western Ohio for the second half and into the fall. In other words, I plan on making multiple visits to both King's Dominion and Cedar Point. I also plan on doing Carowinds at some point.

Is there any benefit to buying the Platinum Pass for one Cedar Fair park over another? I was all set to buy the KD pass, but then realized that I could just as easily get the CP one for the same price. The websites list the perks for the KD card and the perks for the CP card, but make no reference to crossover except for the fact that the Platinum Pass allows for admission to "all Cedar Fair parks." Would things like 1 hour early entry to CP still be possible for me if I choose to get the King's Dominion Card? I'm not really sure how this works and really want to make my purchase worth-while. Thanks to anyone who can help.

As far as I know the Cedar Fair Platinum pass is the Platinum Pass. It gets you parking at every park, and early entry at every park if they offer it. When I had one in 2015 it was activated at Carowinds, but I was able to get early entry at Cedar Point. This year I activated my 2018 Platinum Pass at Carowinds just cause that's where I was going to be when the sale was going on. I 100% plan on using it for early entry at Cedar Point.

Hope that clears things up

^zburns, I can 100% assure you all the perks are good from every park. That includes purchasing bring a friend tickets off other parks websites. The only issue I've had is trying to buy add-ons from a different parks website. So in other words even though it's good at all parks, it's cheaper to get all-season funpix from one park over another. If buying online, you have to buy that add-on from the park website you purchased your pass from. That's the only stipulation I've ever seen. I've been told purchasing it in-park from a different park was no problem, however, though I can't confirm.

I'm lucky and normally go with Wonderland's pass due to the fact it's the same price in CAN$ as USD$ so it's always a better deal due to the exchange rate. And the extras are cheaper than Cedar Point.

In summary, you'll be fine. Enjoy your pass!

So, what do we think the odds are of Twisted Timbers being open the last weekend in April?

Why wouldn't it be when it's going to be open when the park opens in a couple weeks? Lol.

Uhh because anything can happen between now and opening day and rides don't always opened as planned? See: Wonder Woman Lasso Coaster, Lightning Rod, Merlins Mayhem, Gale Force, Zumanjaro, Maverick, etc etc etc etc etc

That said, I personally do hope its up and running opening weekend, and it certainly seems they're well on their way to making that happen. As of now media day is scheduled for Thursday the 22nd, passholder preview is being advertised for Friday the 23rd, BUT none of us can see two and a half weeks into the future and it wouldn't be the first time all of that was cancelled/pushed back because a ride wasn't ready.

So, what do we think the odds are of Twisted Timbers being open the last weekend in April?

Why wouldn't it be when it's going to be open when the park opens in a couple weeks? Lol.

Uhh because anything can happen between now and opening day and rides don't always opened as planned? See: Wonder Woman Lasso Coaster, Lightning Rod, Merlins Mayhem, Gale Force, Zumanjaro, Maverick, etc etc etc etc etc

That said, I personally do hope its up and running opening weekend, and it certainly seems they're well on their way to making that happen. As of now media day is scheduled for Thursday the 22nd, passholder preview is being advertised for Friday the 23rd, BUT none of us can see two and a half weeks into the future and it wouldn't be the first time all of that was cancelled/pushed back because a ride wasn't ready.

I'm with Jay, I would say the odds are pretty good. Things happen, but there's no way any of us would know that at this point.

I live in the DC area and I got my platinum pass at Knott's about a month ago. Having a platinum pass is like having a gold pass at every park, except even better, because the Knott's gold pass doesn't even include parking. And then once you have a platinum pass, if you add drinks or dining, etc., you also get that at every park.

One thing most of these rides have in common is that they were prototype rides/first of their type by manufacturer. This type of ride has been done many times by this designer so I'd imagine outside of something out of the norm we can expect to see this thing running at park open, definitely by late April. The fact that we've seen test runs adds to that confidence, but that being said, there are no guarantees in this industry as there is much more than meets the eye.

I'm with Jay, I would say the odds are pretty good. Things happen, but there's no way any of us would know that at this point.

I never said it wasn't going to open, just that things happen and no one can say for sure until then. I agree that it tends to be prototypes that tend to have issues and I have fairly optimistic feelings this one will open or else I wouldn't be planning a trip to ride it on opening weekend. All I'm saying is we can't say for sure until it opens.

You'll be there opening weekend? When are you going? I am tentatively planning on going Sunday. Is there a chance we may run into you?

If the weather is good we'll be there, though it'll be a last minute decision, not to mention our plans are up in the air as to which day we're doing KD and which we're doing BGW.

Keetz, Anonymouscactus, and steamedturtle...thank you for the help. This absolutely answers my question. Platinum pass is a better deal than I thought. Looking forward to purchasing it.

You could go to Dorney Park with your platinum pass if you wanted to as well. It's about 3 hours north of DC. From my understanding, you wouldn't need a full day there unless you wanted to go to the waterpark. It could easily be a day trip.

Better yet: You can also go to Kings Island while you're in OH. It's about 3-3.5 hours from Cedar Point.

I was going to say there's a high chance of TT opening with the park considering it's RMC's like gazillionth iron horse re-do at this point. Then I remembered the problems they had with Joker opening year and also the fact that TT has all new trains. So yeah, nothing is certain for sure.

Here's my thoughts on TT opening with the park,, it's looking pretty good. I'm going to media day for the ride and have already received 2 emails about details and times, with one of those emails coming this morning. I know a media event can still be canceled last minute, but I would assume if they were foreseeing any issues within the next 2 weeks they wouldn't be sending these confirmations. So as of right not everything looks on track for a day one opening.

Is this the first time Kings Dominion is getting regular morning ERT for pass holders? This is really exciting, should give plenty of time to get a bunch of rides in.

Has there been any news where the Fastlane merge point is going to be on TT?

Is this the first time Kings Dominion is getting regular morning ERT for pass holders? This is really exciting, should give plenty of time to get a bunch of rides in.

Has there been any news where the Fastlane merge point is going to be on TT?

I'm really curious to find out where the merge point is as well. I got the all season fastlane pass last year and loved it so I got it again this year. The price went up quite a bit but with twisted timbers being added I figure I'll get my moneys worth out of it.