TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I have not ridden Anaconda in years. Granted I don't remember ever disliking it as much as Hurler or Shockwave. I always find myself obsessing over what KD could build but hey at least we have I305, TT, Dominator, Volcano, and Flight of Fear till they build whatevers next. Then if you get bored of those 5 fantastic coasters just go to BG where you have AC, Griffon, Alpengeist, Verbolton, LNM, InvadR, and Tempesto!

I still don’t understand the hate for Anaconda. It’s not a bad ride at all. There’s plenty of coasters that are worse than it.

agreed. . it was just fine when we rode it on our one visit to KD.

(and it beat us up way less than Hurler did.. . it was smoother than Rebel Yell to us too).

^ What's painful about a coaster with lapbars?

Also, caught that aerial/drone footage of the Twisted Timbers testing and I can't help but suspect this will absolutely be a backseat ride. DAT YANK. Can't wait.

I still don’t understand the hate for Anaconda. It’s not a bad ride at all. There’s plenty of coasters that are worse than it.

Yeah, totally--I can think of at least half a dozen coasters that are worse.

I got a bad enough concussion on one ride of Anaconda I didn't feel right for 3 days. I still have hip problems from RY 2008 and Grizzly 2009. I also nearly broke my nose on the log flume. I never had any such problems due to Hurler or Shockwave.

The do think they did something to The Spot on Anaconda a few years ago. Don't know how, but it got better. That section of the rails was partially unpainted the previous year so they at least painted it. Maybe went at it with blow torches and rebent it slightly. It's still rather borderline but it was really bad. The rest of the coaster is crazy but can be fun, and I still hear kids sometimes saying it's their favorite in the park.

No more bins on FoF, i305, and Twisted Timbers if I remember correctly. Completely understandable. At least you can keep loose articles in a cargo pocket, unlike some parks which frown upon that...

How is that understandable? It’s a stupid decision. Trying to squeeze out more money from guests.

While theft can be a major issue (I know it was at the parks I've worked at), and people losing things that they would probably put in a locker if forced to, I don't want to wait 3 hours for Twisted Timbers when I can wait 2 hours instead. It slows down dispatches dramatically (unless they use the "Leviathan Technique" -- which I doubt you would see in any U.S. park) and people take forever on the platform dealing with things. Just my opinion, then again I have no reason to carry stuff around the park.... -- who needs a backpack full of stuff?

Edited by anonymouscactus

I don't want to wait 3 hours for Twisted Timbers when I can wait 2 hours instead. It slows down dispatches dramatically (unless they use the Leviathan Technique [emoji769] which I doubt you would see in any U.S. park) and people take forever on the platform dealing with things. Just my opinion, then again I have no reason to carry stuff around the park...

Then why not make the lockers free? Why charge a ridiculous rate?

Why charge a ridiculous rate?

A dollar?

Simple math. It adds up. Let’s say you stay at the park for 10 hours. The lokcer will set you back a good $11 dollars on top of the admission price and the already high prices for food.

Then put your crap in your pocket...

I promise the world won't end.

Per KDFans, only $2/hr. To be honest, I'm not surprised about the new policy for TT, as it was rolled out to platform-article friendly CF parks with major coasters à la Fury, but I'm a bit confused as to why I305 and FoF were chosen as well, as opposed to rides with longer lines and more inversions like Dominator and Volcano. Unfortunately, while most of the time this will not be a problem and the fee is minor, I think this will be an unpopular change because visitors are accustomed to KD's former platform policy and may be caught off guard, at least in the short term.

(Cargo shorts for the win! )

What is the Leviathan Technique?

The Leviathan technique is where the ride attendants on Leviathan at Canada's Wonderland will take passengers' loose articles and place them in the bins while the passengers are taking their seats. It is quite effective and greatly cuts down on dispatch times, otherwise wasted by when the passengers do it themselves.

At Leviathan they have tons of staff on the platform to be able to grab articles from everyone as they get seated. They are super quick. They also lock the bins for that train. In the U.S. I feel like it will never happen due to the potential for damaged stuff by park staff. Then again it's all Cedar Fair in the end and it's obviously the same risk at CW.

The only coaster I can think of at CW that requires lockers at the top of my head is Wonder Mountains Guardian. On Vortex they just make you carry EVERYTHING with you on the ride. I feel like the percent of people with bags at CW is much higher (probably due to the fact they don't need lockers?) than any other park I visit. EVERYONE has bags! Am I creating a new Canadian stereotype? They must have to carry timbits with them at all times.

d3f6a0157664be564abf34a1cdd697bc.jpg

What about refillable cups? What about other stuff you may need to carry in a bag?

Cedar Fair had an awesome program that doesn't require a refillable cup. Also, completely serious question, what do you need to carry around with you that has to go in a bag? I don't understand what is needed at all times. This goes for anyone? A change of clothes and a towel for a water park is all I can think of.

The lokcer will set you back a good $11 dollars on top of the admission price and the already high prices for food.

It was mentioned that the first hour at each locker is only $1.00. I don't know what the policy is for the rest of the rides at KD, but if we are talking about 3 rides only, it's a whole $3 for the day for the average guest. Except maybe TT due to the wait time being longer than 1 hour.

Edited by anonymouscactus

What about refillable cups? What about other stuff you may need to carry in a bag?

If someone buys a refillable cup instead of the Cedar Fair drink plan with paper cups for the same price then they deserve to pay extra because they're stupid.

This is an entirely avoidable charge. It's been commonplace at a ton of Cedar Fair parks for years (decades even). Why the sudden outrage? It's not like it's the Great Adventure policy. It's entirely reasonable.

Gotta love when cheap asses sign up just to complain about lock3r policies.

"I'm not willing to pay a dollar to have my stuff stored safely but I'll happily spend money on unlimited soda that's slowly killing me!"

GTFOH.