TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

While I think the rename of Ricochet may sound odd for adults, kids are going to eat this name up. The name hits right in the targeted age group. A lot of kids are going to be wanting to ride and pestering moms and dads excitedly, they can't wait to go on Apple Zapple, please mommy, please daddy, let's go on Apple Zapple. Then tell their friends when they get back home, they rode Apple Zapple. It's catchy for the kids.

While I think the rename of Ricochet may sound odd for adults, kids are going to eat this name up. The name hits right in the targeted age group. A lot of kids are going to be wanting to ride and pestering moms and dads excitedly, they can't wait to go on Apple Zapple, please mommy, please daddy, let's go on Apple Zapple. Then tell their friends when they get back home, they rode Apple Zapple. It's catchy for the kids.

So true! This is a family coaster. People are acting like they changed i305’s name to speedy deedy lol. At least KD is trying to make their themed sections and coaster themes correlate. Safari village needs some work though with flight of fear and i305. Anyway, I think the name changes are tolerable and won’t interfere with the actual ride experience.

I can't wait to try the mac and cheese bowls. My daughter will be very happy about this.

I don't think twice about the names but agree with posters that any make over of a ride is a good thing.

I was mentioning to my family about the name change and instead of saying "Apple Zapple" I blurted out "Yapple Dapple". I loved the genie cartoon as a kid and it just came out.

• Like 1

Anyone have any hotel recommendations for lodging located between Fredericksburg and Doswell? Preferably in the $75 or less/night range? Reading through reviews online and I don't always trust them. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Just don't stay at the Super 8 in Carmel Church and you'll be fine. That place is f*cking terrible, even for a Super 8. That exit and the Ashland exit (after you pass the park) are your best bets for being as close to the park as possible while being within that price range.

isn't there a hotel literally IN the parking lot there?

thought we passed by one (Day's Inn maybe)?

There are three across the street, too, but I don't know what rates they charge.

We stayed at the Days Inn across the street and it was very budget-friendly in cost. Nothing fancy, but clean...and they had a free shuttle to the park. I really don't think that we paid over $100 for the night...although we went in early May and stayed on a Sunday night, I believe.

So while you might pay $20 or $30 more to stay there versus one off of I-95, you can use the shuttle and save the cost of parking - if you're not a season/Platinum pass holder.

Thanks for all the replies!

Part of the criteria I gave is because my brother who will be traveling with me is a huge civil war buff and we will be spending a day or so exploring some historical sites before hitting the park on a Monday. So I was looking for anything decent that would also cut down on the back and forth driving as I know from experience I-95 can be a nightmare.

Also, I'm the type who mostly looks at hotels as a bed to sleep in, that said I don't want a run down hotel loaded with bed bugs either. Clean, inexpensive, and free wifi are what attracts me, free breakfast is always an added bonus but I don't usually eat breakfast so it's not end of the world.

Sad thing is this will actually be my 3rd trip to KD, yet my credit list only includes Shockwave & Hurler (ironically, now both defunct), I305, Dominator, and Flight of Fear due to some bad luck with weather. So lots for me to hit up and explore while I'm there.

Thanks again!

I'm tempted to tell you to run right to Volcano since you missed it and I personally think its freaking awesome (and its capacity is horrific). But now with Twisted Timbers on the other side of the park its going to be a major conflict. I'm curious to see what the lines for Volcano will be like with the new hotness.

I'm tempted to tell you to run right to Volcano since you missed it and I personally think its freaking awesome (and its capacity is horrific). But now with Twisted Timbers on the other side of the park its going to be a major conflict. I'm curious to see what the lines for Volcano will be like with the new hotness.

Personally I'd run to Twisted Timbers but I feel like if you haven't ridden Volcano you should still go there first if it's running since it's so f*cking unreliable.

Personally I'd run to Twisted Timbers but I feel like if you haven't ridden Volcano you should still go there first if it's running since it's so f*cking unreliable.

and it IS right next door to a pretty good bobsled.. we really enjoyed Avalanche when we were last at KD.

I know my nephews will want to hit up Twisted Timbers first, their both budding coaster nerds and have been closely following the construction of Steel Vengeance and Twisted Timbers. Honestly sometimes it's all my nephew will talk about (he has Asperger syndrome so I try not to get too annoyed lol) Their other big focus is Dominator, they know I operated the ride at GL and are looking forward to taking a spin on it.

If all goes to plan and weather cooperates this trip we will be at the park for night rides on Sunday and all day on Monday following. We will be traveling the first week of August, so even though it's summer travel season I'm hoping the crowds will be tolerable on a Sunday night and Monday.

I've never seen Volcano go down when I've visited Kings Dominion, but it does always have the worst queue. I waited 2 hours the first time I rode it and basically everything else in the park was a walk-on.

• 2 weeks later...

That's an amazing deal!

Does Kings Dominion let you upgrade days admission into a Platinum Pass. I know Six Flags and the Busch parks do something similar. If I can do it with this deal, I'm on board.

EDIT- Just emailed the park and they confirmed you can upgrade.

Edited by Canobie Coaster