TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Here are my thoughts about the improvements at Kings Dominion for 2018. The area around Twisted Timbers definitely needed a facelift for a long time now. It is looking 100x better than the previous year. Rock Shop also needed a facelift, before it looked like an outdated 90's store. Twist and Shop is a decent name, but I can't wait to buy me a Twisted Timbers T-Shirt. I cannot wait to try that Mac Bowl restaurant, Mac and Cheese is one of my favorite foods. Now let's talk about the renamed coasters. Apple Zapple, this name is silly, at the same time unique and memorable. I am already remembering the name very well. I like the new color scheme of Ricochet. Definitely a refresh. As for Racer 75, they could've done better with the name, but it's a nice nod to the ACE and Kings Island's Racer. (Comments on the social media is ridiculous, but it is the normal experience from social media). I am buying a Racer 75 t-shirt as well. Overall, it definitely a well-deserved change. I can't wait to see what Cedar Fair has in store for Kings Dominion in the future.

Whenever something like this happens, I try to evaluate the situation from a business point of view, separate from my personal views. That being said, Kings Dominion is not too far from Charolettsville. I think it is pretty obvious why any business would want to distance themselves from the events there as much as possible.

How strange it was that not very long ago I was half-heartedly joking to someone that due to the accelerated expunging of historical nomenclature, one day soon KD would ditch the name "Rebel Yell".... That said, it seems surely they could do better than that which sounds exactly like a clone of the KI Racer. And it won't surprise me if the ignorant GP don't think that is the case. A better option might have been "_______ Racer" with another word before "Racer". Maybe paint the railings red and call it "Red Racer" to go with the apple theme....

But I don't know, I'm 47 years old, and it was called Rebel Yell when I was a child, and ever since then, and to me it will always be the Rebel Yell, even if they were to re-brand it the "Dog Fart Coaster".

Now as for "Apple Zapple"....that's just downright bizarre! Sounds like a brand name for a fruit flavored chewing gum!

My only gripe about this decision is the name they chose. You're telling me not one person in their creative department could think of something better than "Racer 75"?

When I finally visit KD this summer, all I expect is a middle of the pack woodie, regardless of name.

If Racer75 is named after ACE, when are we going to get a TPR-themed coaster?

They should start adding little plaques commemorating great quotes from Robb's POV videos.

"And we're turning... turning... and... we're turning some more!" - R.A., TPR

These would be some really fun plaques!

So, how bout that Twisted Timbers, eh?

Actually, I heard there was a group of skaters who got offended the park used the word "Twisted" in the name. The skaters felt like they were being singled out, and picked on. So the park is currently looking to rename it.

Edited by DoinItForTheFame

I just have to say that Apple Zapple made my day when I first read it.

"Hey Mom! I wanna ride the APPLE ZAPPLE."

10/10 Name right there

Edit: Got rid of the reference to the pre-cleaned up thread (Thank God for Chuck)

Edited by jrd64fan

I just had to clean out this thread. All of you who wish to debate politics and history, please do so over email or private messages, where you can hurl all the epithets you want at each other.

Thank you.

I just had to clean out this thread. All of you who wish to debate politics and history, please do so over email or private messages, where you can hurl all the epithets you want at each other.

^ Thank you, Chuck. This thread was getting way out of hand.

Anyway, I simply cannot wait to get to this park again. Sooner rather than later. Well, except opening day, because it's going to be absolutely insane

So, how bout that Twisted Timbers, eh?

Actually, I heard there was a group of skaters who got offended the park used the word "Twisted" in the name. The skaters felt like they were being singled out, and picked on. So the park is currently looking to rename it.

Captain Planet and the Planeteers are also quite perturbed that they're using the word "Timbers." Save the trees, ya'll!

^ Me too - I like the concept, so I'll be interested to hear from folks if these are any good or not. Have any other CF parks offered this before?

I wonder if you would start with a scoop of mac and cheese and then you add whatever toppings you want to it buffet-style, or if they do like 15 different types of "gourmet" bowls?

Oh and...just because...Apple Zapple!

I can't wait for some "gourmet" Mac and Cheese. Hopefully it'll be part of the dining plan. I don't see why it wouldn't be.

I believe I saw the park said it was on facebook to a non-hostile commenter. I hope it's legit Kings Dominion could use a nice improvement to the food options granted it would be hard for me not to go to Panda Express because I love their orange chicken.