TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Here is a behind the scenes history lesson. Black people in the south were involved in the confederacy. Their involvement was similar to women during WWII. During the Civil War blacks in the south built roads, worked at a naval plant (making up about 3/4 of the workforce) and some even served in the army under Robert E. Lee. I always thought Kings Dominion was cool for having the Mason Dixon Music Hall (which the name has not been used in years) and Rebel Yell. This could serve to educate guests about history. I knew nothing about the history of Texas, other than music and the Alamo, until I visited Six Flags Over Texas. The revision of history is causing a loss of IQ points. Confederate names and monuments aren't offensive in the least.

This announcement happened recently, and I am already tired of seeing all these complaints. I have political opinions, but I never post them here. The reason why is because I do not believe politics are a thing that needs to be discussed in an amusement park forum. Politics are the exact type of thing I go to amusement parks to escape from.

Had the park kept its current name, that would not have affected my ride experience in any way. This name change will also not affect my ride experience in any way. Politics can and should be discussed elsewhere, but a roller coaster is neither the time nor the place. Please just enjoy the damn ride, and let others do the same.

This announcement happened recently, and I am already tired of seeing all these complaints. I have political opinions, but I never post them here. The reason why is because I do not believe politics are a thing that needs to be discussed in an amusement park forum. Politics are the exact type of thing I go to amusement parks to escape from.

Had the park kept its current name, that would not have affected my ride experience in any way. This name change will also not affect my ride experience in any way. Politics can and should be discussed elsewhere, but a roller coaster is neither the time nor the place. Please just enjoy the damn ride, and let others do the same.

Who knew that changing the name of a roller coaster would cause so many meltdowns. I'm seeing people on Facebook and Instagram claiming that they're not going to buy park passes and stop going to the park solely because of them changing the name of Rebel Yell. If someone is seriously THAT UPSET about a coaster name change then maybe you don't need to go to theme parks. Whether the name change has a political connection (which I highly doubt it does) or not, that shouldn't stop you from going to the park altogether. The name of a coaster doesn't add or take away from the ride experience. Another thing, nobody is forcing you to call it Racer 75. If you don't like it, don't say it. It's really not that serious.

But, to each their own. It's not gonna stop me from going to my favorite theme park. I wouldn't care if they called it Humpty Dumpty.

Oh, "Rebel Yell" is most definitely a political name. It was a Confederate war tactic designed to intimidate Union troops. I'll spare everyone the history lesson, since you can easily look it up on the Internet. It even has its own Wikipedia article.

I don't think it's necessary to learn history from a theme park. They don't do a good job of teaching it, amd most people are just there to ride stuff and have fun. The National Park Service does a great job of explaining our history, and would you look at this! There are 5 sites in the same county as Kings Dominion where they do exactly that!

I only see one person with hurt feelings here.

The irony of people being offended by people being offended. Or people getting all fragile and butthurt because of "snowflakes". Do these people hear themselves? They're exactly what they are complaining about.

Here's a little history lesson: THE SOUTH LOST. GET OVER IT.

I just thought Rebel Yell was a good name for a coaster and still is, the controversy made it a little edgy. Just a little friendly rivalry ya'll .... I do feel a little mad, in the end just frustrated because there isn't any suitable response.

I guess I'll just enjoy Racer 75 while I'm over there enjoying Figure8 82, Mouse 02, and the new RMC 18.

I'll be honest. I didn't even know the term "Rebel Yell" had connections to the Confederacy. Obviously that's just me being from New York and not caring (because, you know... we won and sh*t ), but I think the term has also evolved and become a part of American culture to the point where people are more likely to think of Billy Idol than the Confederacy when they hear it.

That said, I don't care either way. Reading the comments sections on social media full of people who are losing their collective sh*t over the name change (including the Screamscape dude who's resorted to pulling out George Orwell quotes about heritage and history) have done nothing to restore my faith in humanity. It's a roller coaster (and a very mediocre one at that). I totally get why the park doesn't want to have a coaster named after a confederate battle cry. In the end though, who cares if they change the name of an entirely unthemed coaster? Your experience will not change when you walk into the park on opening day and run past it on the way to the much better ride next-door.

Now can we PLEASE focus on Apple Zapple?

Edited by coasterbill

Exactly.

I've been wondering about why Kings Dominion kept the name "Rebel Yell" as long as they did. It is, indeed, associated with the Confederacy; that being said, most people aside from historians and southerners wouldn't make the connection. Maybe they should've re-themed it to Billy Idol and nullified the controversy.

But remember that, in the end, this is just a classic wooden roller coaster. As long as they maintain the ride, I don't care if they name it "Laser Snake Horse on Fire," "Wooden Apple Zapple with Caramel Sauce," or "Fill-in-the-Blank Hawk."

Overall, this conversation has been relatively civil. Let's keep it that way. Thank you.

Edited by cfc

As coasterbill mentioned, I happen to think of Billy Idol more than I think of any sort of history. My only complaint with Racer 75 is that it feels very generic and bland, but regardless, I’m excited to see this area of the park get a much-needed facelift. Apple Zapple is pretty amusing, seems appropriately whimsical for a family/kids coaster. I just wish there was some Snapple vending tie in. That would be cool.

I think what this name change has done in drawn attention to the fact that the name was offensive, if not racist, all along, even if we didn't realize it. A rebel yell is literally a confederate battle cry, and in 1975, that's exactly what it was a reference to. If people didn't realize it, or they thought of the Billy Idol song (which came out in '83), it really doesn't change the fact of its offensiveness. The new name is more inclusive, and it's a good thing. At the end of the day, the name's not that important, as long as it's not offensive. They could rename The Beast to "Indoor Cat," and it would still be the classic coaster it always was.

• Like 1

They could rename The Beast to "Indoor Cat," and it would still be the classic coaster it always was.

Indeed. Whether their names are Rebel Yell and Ricochet or Racer 75 and Apple Zapple, I'll still primarily think of them as "Those two kind of crappy coasters I have to walk past to get to Twisted Timbers."

After learning the true origins of the name, I'm personally happy about the name change and proud of cedar fair for trying to keep up with the times. It's a history that needs to be preserved in books and museums, not publicly glorified. IMO we should be treating confederate history the same way Germany treats Nazi history. (Prepare for the fallacy-filled backlash from close minded nationalists)

But the most important thing to remember is this has nothing to do with what affects ride experiences. If you wanna call it rebel yell, do it. I still say drop zone and Scooby-Doo (ghoster coaster ). I know some old heads who still say outer limits.

While not a fan of "Apple Zapple" as a name, I think I understand what they are going for.

since it's right across from Twisted Timbers, they are trying to position the mouse as an alternative for those too small to ride TT. Hence positioning as a family coaster.

know who will LOVE that name, "Apple Zapple"? little kids.

little kids love rhyming (it's something I learned from my background in advertising. . .that's why there tends to be rhyming in toy commericals.

so yeah. . . "Apple Zapple" is not targeted at *me*. . so it doesn't matter if I like the name or not.

tho, really. . ..can't understand why they didn't go with something like "Apple Twister" as a name, since it IS right across from TT.

since they are considering that area part of Candy Apple Grove too, slightly surprised they didn't rename Windseeker too. . . tho "Granny Smith Gondolas" isn't really a great name either

Edited by bert425

They could rename The Beast to "Indoor Cat," and it would still be the classic coaster it always was.

I'm freaking dying here!

And yes, if people are going to petition shit, make one to name a coaster Laser Snake Horse On Fire!

Of course, then you would offend many horse lovers