TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

My kids and I will be going to the park on June 22. Any recs on a hotel nearby the park? I was hoping to stay at La Quinta but that week they jack the price up. We will be headed in on I 64 East to Richmond. So I was thinking just north of the 295 and 95 intersection. I would like something close so I can leave my wife and 3 year old in hotel after dinner while I knock out some 54" rides on June 21 with my older kids. Any thoughts? Thanks.

My kids and I will be going to the park on June 22. Any recs on a hotel nearby the park? I was hoping to stay at La Quinta but that week they jack the price up. We will be headed in on I 64 East to Richmond. So I was thinking just north of the 295 and 95 intersection. I would like something close so I can leave my wife and 3 year old in hotel after dinner while I knock out some 54" rides on June 21 with my older kids. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I'm a big airbnb fan. I see some whole houses available about 15mins south of the park, right at that intersection, for ~$150 a night. Little bit cheaper than that La Quinta, and waay better quality.

I'm really happy they ditched the U bar restraint setup for a V shape. Foot room has always been a problem in RMC trains for me, so this should help. I'm pleased with how this conversion turned out. I was skeptical that the Hurler layout could make a good i-box, but it looks great!

Looks like Ricochet is being painted green! I would post a picture but it's a drone shot, not sure if it's allowed. Also, there's a lot of heavy landscaping going on near Twisted Timbers. Lots of asphalt being replaced with concrete from Twisted Timbers all the way to windseeker and even beyond that.

Looks like Ricochet is being painted green! I would post a picture but it's a drone shot, not sure if it's allowed.

There shouldn't be any confusion. Drones are not allowed to be flown over Cedar Fair properties. If the shot was taken from a drone over CF property the picture should not be posted. If the drone was outside the perimeter of the park, photos are allowed. Camera magnification is getting better all the time and some good pictures can be taken from the perimeter.

If the photo and footage is not yours and you are not sure of the drone location, err on the side of caution and don't post it. The TPR community will survive without the photo.

Does anyone else feel that most roller coaster/theme park merch is just really ugly? Like, if it were just a simple logo on a t-shirt, I would totally buy it (despite being way overpriced), but it always seems like they are way too extra about it...

I don’t know, maybe the GP like stuff like that so I wouldn’t know, but one of the reasons I hardly own any theme park shirts is because they always try way too hard, IMO... at least for major chain parks. Lagoon has some nice Cannibal shirts.

I agree that most park merch is horrible. Not my style. But I've found a few I like - the more simple the better. I remember having a terrible time finding a single shirt during an entire weekend spent at Cedar Point while actively looking through all the gift shops for a cool shirt I could take home. Didn't find one.

What I liked about these ^^ was that on the first they are acknowledging the stat changes between the coasters which I think is really cool. And the 2nd one is a great simple design, though I'm not a big fan of wearing red. But I still like it.

it always seems like they are way too extra about it...

they always try way too hard, IMO...

This and this. Like, I kinda like the idea of copying popular clothing designs; for those of us who like both coasters and clothes, "trendy" park or ride merch sounds like a match made in heaven. Sadly, it's pretty rare that I'm actually impressed by the results, because of...exactly what you said.

Why would anyone want a T-shirt comparing a new roller coaster to an old roller coaster? Did they make that for the silly people thinking the park is building a recycled ride or for people trying to prove a point to those silly people? Weird. Thats fine if somebody likes that but I'd be shocked to find anybody wanting to argue about that in person .

This and this. Like, I kinda like the idea of copying popular clothing designs; for those of us who like both coasters and clothes, "trendy" park or ride merch sounds like a match made in heaven. Sadly, it's pretty rare that I'm actually impressed by the results, because of...exactly what you said.

Check out Made To Thrill.

I'm probably as much of a statistics nerd as anybody on this fine website, but if you ever catch me wearing a shirt with coaster stats on it, please throw me overboard.

I can count on one hand the number of park/coaster related shirts I own, but I love my Moreys/Great White stat shirt with the PTC train blueprints.

Screenshot_20180130-194956_1.jpg.34eb0fcaa1dd5ffd33a1ebdafcd2c935.jpg

Edited by boldikus