TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I'm only going to say this once...

We will be posting the announcement tomorrow as soon as the materials are available to us.

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY LINKS OR IMAGES TO THE ANNOUNCEMENT BEFORE TPR DOES!

Anyone who does this will be banned forever from Theme Park Review.

Let me explain...

Posting the new ride information before we can do it actually creates MORE WORK for us as most of the time people who come on our forum and post info about a new ride will do a crappy job of it and then we have to not only do the work we are going to do to make a proper post about the new ride, but also clean up the garbage posts that people make.

No one here will get any extra points or look any "cooler" for being "first" to post the information. We aren't about being first we are about having good quality content. Please respect that. Thank you.

We will be posting the announcement tomorrow as soon as the materials are available to us.

Let me explain...

Posting the new ride information before we can do it actually creates MORE WORK for us as most of the time people who come on our forum and post info about a new ride will do a crappy job of it and then we have to not only do the work we are going to do to make a proper post about the new ride, but also clean up the garbage posts that people make.

No one here will get any extra points or look any "cooler" for being "first" to post the information. We aren't about being first we are about having good quality content. Please respect that. Thank you.

Let me explain...

I'll be counting on you guys tomorrow! I'm going to be busy when the announcements come out, but I'll be checking the second I can.

I always check here first on announcement days. I'll be at work, so following different parks announcements just isn't going to happen. Plus - here I can get them all in the same place, get good information, and it's like Christmas in August! Thanks Robb and the TPR crew for gathering and posting this information for us

Wait, so Intimidator 305 is running but the temperature controlled, indoor launch coaster right in front of it that could run in all weather is closed for a Christmas event in Virginia? I'm confused.

Also one thing to remember about these events is that the core demographic is families. I'd love I305 night rides in December more than anything in the world, but I think opening the grove and closing safari village makes way more sense, especially because it's easier to cut the path off. Rides like the Troika and swings would be really popular during this event and require way less staffing than something like I305. Your plan would also require an unbelievable amount of temporary walls / fencing. Generally they try to cut off paths where it's easy to do so.

^Correct and in addition there is more than likely not a staffing issue when it comes to places like Dollywood where the average age of the worker is 40-50. (at least that was our observation) The reason I say this is because I took my family to Dollywood for Smokey Mountain Christmas on Dec 3, 2016 and "ALL" rides were open even the big coasters. My niece's boyfriend had ice chips from his tears after we rode Lightning Rod where the temp was hovering around 27 degrees that night. Completely insane. But with that said, It would be interesting to know if Herschend Family Entertainment makes their own decisions on whether to run coasters in that kind of temperature regardless of manufacturer's recommendations. I have always heard that B&M does not recommend their coasters to run below 40 degrees yet we did in fact ride Wild Eagle that night at around 31 degrees.

side note: the wait for LR was over an hour that night. We had no idea that Dollywood got THAT packed in December. Massive crowds everywhere.

IMG_20161203_191617.thumb.jpg.019373111240311cfa04deba176659d5.jpg

Wait, so Intimidator 305 is running but the temperature controlled, indoor launch coaster right in front of it that could run in all weather is closed for a Christmas event in Virginia? I'm confused.

Also one thing to remember about these events is that the core demographic is families. I'd love I305 night rides in December more than anything in the world, but I think opening the grove and closing safari village makes way more sense, especially because it's easier to cut the path off. Rides like the Troika and swings would be really popular during this event and require way less staffing than something like I305. Your plan would also require an unbelievable amount of temporary walls / fencing. Generally they try to cut off paths where it's easy to do so.

^Correct and in addition there is more than likely not a staffing issue when it comes to places like Dollywood where the average age of the worker is 40-50. (at least that was our observation) The reason I say this is because I took my family to Dollywood for Smokey Mountain Christmas on Dec 3, 2016 and "ALL" rides were open even the big coasters. My niece's boyfriend had ice chips from his tears after we rode Lightning Rod where the temp was hovering around 27 degrees that night. Completely insane. But with that said, It would be interesting to know if Herschend Family Entertainment makes their own decisions on whether to run coasters in that kind of temperature regardless of manufacturer's recommendations. I have always heard that B&M does not recommend their coasters to run below 40 degrees yet we did in fact ride Wild Eagle that night at around 31 degrees.

side note: the wait for LR was over an hour that night. We had no idea that Dollywood got THAT packed in December. Massive crowds everywhere.

In addition to what you're saying (which is absolutely a factor), Dollywood doesn't have staffing issues because they provide consistent hours through the end of December. September is the park's slowest time so they close 2 days a week, in October they're open daily but then close for 6 days to reset for Smoky Mountain Christmas where they run 6 days a week and then every day from 12/12 through 1/1 minus Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The problem with these other parks is that the hours are terrible. They need people to work weekends only and a limited amount of hours but then magically be available for daily operation between Christmas and New Years.

Meanwhile, virtually every retail store in America is looking for holiday help and offering way better and more consistent hours. I guarantee that that's why Great Adventure added those bonus weekends in November. The park is completely dead those days, I assume they're breaking even at best and hoping to grow those incrementally over time with the introduction of insane discounts / special events or something along those lines. They just know that if they close for 3 weeks when everyone else is looking for holiday help and then try to get people to work those hours they'll never do it.

As for the temperature thing, Dollywood has eased way up this year once the start up temperature is reached. They claim that the start up temperature for the coasters is 40 degrees and they'll close them at 36 (if there are any Nitro ops on this board they're currently laughing uncontrollably as they should be). Once it gets down to 36 they generally close the rides and run out the lines (so it's possible to get a ride in when it's colder if you're already in line). Last year though, they generally kept running Wild Eagle until it got much colder. In the past, Cedar Fair has followed the 40 / 36 rule chain-wide for most rides though I've seen Carowinds and Kings Dominion bend the rules for their non B&M / Intamin rides. Hopefully they ease up a little after seeing what Six Flags is doing (running every coaster regardless of temperature because they're awesome).

Twisted Timbers and Winterfest announced for 2018!

264611243_ScreenShot2017-08-16at12_02_53.thumb.png.9543674d235a86f71ee57ec7389fd787.png

DHXHXyqVoAAtNEH.thumb.jpg.ea26feb7fce23fc78c5f592273276c64.jpg

DHXKy6xUIAE1Xod.thumb.jpg.70366c11afbbd04ed636b98e5ee764fd.jpg

On the outskirts of Candy Apple Grove sits the remains of the once thriving Hanover Hill Orchard. No one can say exactly happened that day back in 1950. What destroyed half of the harvest in a matter of seconds? What shook the ground, turned over tractors, shattered glass and nearly peeled the siding off the warehouse, all without warning...all without a cloud in the sky? Strictly “off limits” for decades, this land of local legend is finally open to the public! You are invited to experience Twisted Timbers, an exclusive tour of the now famed Hanover Hill Orchard. Take a ride through previously forbidden grounds where you’ll experience the unexplainable and see evidence preserved from that fateful day. Hold on tight because this is a tour with the twist. This is Twisted Timbers.

A Wooden Coaster with a Twist of Steel

Steel and wood combine forces to bring you our newest rollercoaster – Twisted Timbers. This hybrid coaster is the first of its kind in the mid-Atlantic and uses the latest technology to combine wood supports and steel track to give riders an experience that is impossible on a traditional wooden coaster.

Twisted Timbers sits at the edge of Candy Apple Grove and gives riders a one-of-a-kind experience. Plummet down a 109-foot-tall barrel roll drop that sends you twisting across 3,351 feet of track with two more inversions and 20 airtime hills at speeds of 54 miles per hour. Hold on tight, because this is a ride with a twist… this is Twisted Timbers.

1802774790_ScreenShot2017-08-16at12_03_57.png.42defb8ccb416e152eff43410c695a8f.png

180922710_ScreenShot2017-08-16at12_04_01.png.06b3f894d5ab9c54615e258052a93f44.png

1641383_TTAerial.thumb.jpg.ec8102140c95589fb3e1b3ef453a5827.jpg

1781482634_TTFirstDrop2.thumb.jpg.91ad772563b09a2ba0562f1d9ce16f41.jpg

1710136371_TTFirstDrop3.thumb.jpg.dbdc0dc2fe5b5778d4b90cd55a2dae96.jpg

42333944_TTFirstDrop4.thumb.jpg.c5eee286ca43f536aac3385fe3fb44d2.jpg

1220336256_TTFirstDrop.thumb.jpg.3c474b0132692dda2b43aa53612038b7.jpg

2099918077_TTHills.thumb.jpg.71f64911a51e9998bd1062c62891b439.jpg

1912724835_TTInversion.thumb.jpg.04421fc28ef3e8c279d92c0357fef21f.jpg

1545070562_TTOverbank.thumb.jpg.9fdb44b8b37ed83ab8599849bdd621ed.jpg

1680973391_TTPOV.thumb.jpg.6ca5534c0971976722f8d64c4b672dbc.jpg

477101855_twistedtimbers_kd_4c.thumb.png.4582a84b844b73857135ef5575fcbbb2.png

Edited by robbalvey