TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Themed huss top spin + giant Intamin drop + unique Intamin invert launch + B&M floorless (top tier) + Giga + RMC = A park I need to be at NAO

It was great seeing you at your home park three years ago. Time for you to make the journey east to mine!

I don't know what parks you've been to but maybe you should do a mini-East Coast trip next year.

Everything that we *want* to know is out there based on the current construction.

Low 100' tall, mid 50 mph, barrel roll drop, tons of airtime since it's a RMC.

Very intersted to see how it goes out and back in the rectangle footprint that it occupies.

Themed huss top spin + giant Intamin drop + unique Intamin invert launch + B&M floorless (top tier) + Giga + RMC = A park I need to be at NAO

What's sad is even with all those awesome things (and more) in that park there's a lot of locals who demand so much more. I don't even really know what more I could want at KD? Maybe more flats? I love having it 40 minutes down 95.

What's sad is even with all those awesome things (and more) in that park there's a lot of locals who demand so much more. I don't even really know what more I could want at KD? Maybe more flats? I love having it 40 minutes down 95.

RMC T-REX REPLACING ANACONDA IN 2019!!!!

It was great seeing you at your home park three years ago. Time for you to make the journey east to mine!

I don't know what parks you've been to but maybe you should do a mini-East Coast trip next year.

That was an awesome time! I haven't really...ever done a East coast trip. I've just completed my first NE visit, so I totally need to do an East coast trip. KD has been a park that warrants a visit even without a RMC! 305 looks amazing and ever since KI lost Tomb Raider, KDs looks like the next best thing.

Everything that we *want* to know is out there based on the current construction.

Low 100' tall, mid 50 mph, barrel roll drop, tons of airtime since it's a RMC.

Very intersted to see how it goes out and back in the rectangle footprint that it occupies.

Local here. I, too, am thoroughly disappointed with this mediocre RMC addition, and hereby demand that KD install a B&M wing strata coaster over the front gate and relocate Millennium Force!!!!!

This is a great addition! Ice skating will be great!

RMC T-REX REPLACING ANACONDA IN 2019!!!!

Yeah the people who really want a B&M Mega to "balance" the lineup are the ones that really drive me nuts.

Local here. I, too, am thoroughly disappointed with this mediocre RMC addition, and hereby demand that KD install a B&M wing strata coaster over the front gate and relocate Millennium Force!!!!!

This is a great addition! Ice skating will be great!

I've only ridden three RMC's-- Outlaw Run, Twisted Colossus, and Goliath. If RMC Hurler's as good as Goliath-- awesome! as I enjoyed it but not nearly as much as the other two. If it's better than Goliath then I'll be over the moon.

I know you were being sarcastic but I think I totally had the mindset of "KD's getting a mediocre RMC". Now I'm getting a little more excited...

Yeah the people who really want a B&M Mega to "balance" the lineup are the ones that really drive me nuts.
I hardly they KD needs a B&M hyper, but it would go quite well in the park to have I-305 on one side and a smooth, floaty B&M on the other.

I'm super excited to be heading down to KD for the first time ever this coming Friday (18th). I wanted to ask you all if I should expect large crowds this late in August? Also would a Fast Lane Plus purchase be worth it? Even with lighter crowds I want to ensure I get to ride everything a bunch of times. Also, if I go with zippered pocket shorts for my wallet and phone, would they still make me get a locker? How strict are they about loose articles?

But the most important question I have is: should I wait until later in the day when I305 has warmed up to ride? Or is it just as awesome in the morning as it is later in the day?

My only plan of attack is to get on Ricochet, Grizzly, Rebel Yell and Woodstock Express first, just to be done with them, then from there the Fast Lane Plus would get me on everything I wanted without worry for the rest of the day.

I'm super excited to be heading down to KD for the first time ever this coming Friday (18th). I wanted to ask you all if I should expect large crowds this late in August? Also would a Fast Lane Plus purchase be worth it? Even with lighter crowds I want to ensure I get to ride everything a bunch of times. Also, if I go with zippered pocket shorts for my wallet and phone, would they still make me get a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo? How strict are they about loose articles?

But the most important question I have is: should I wait until later in the day when I305 has warmed up to ride? Or is it just as awesome in the morning as it is later in the day?

My only plan of attack is to get on Ricochet, Grizzly, Rebel Yell and Woodstock Express first, just to be done with them, then from there the Fast Lane Plus would get me on everything I wanted without worry for the rest of the day.

I wouldn't expect crowds to be too bad, since many local schools are heading back into session, although if you want to get re-rides on Volcano I would recommend a FL+.

KD is very lenient with its article policy; bring a string bag for your stuff and every dry ride has -free- article bins on the ride platform (this may change next year with Twisted Timbers, but enjoy it while it lasts). The only mandatory fluffy bunnies are in the waterpark, but cargo shorts should also be fine.

I would recommend jumping on I305 first thing in the morning to get a front-seat ride and a few rerides, since the front-row line is sequestered and inaccessible to FL+. I would also recommend jumping on I305 after dark for one of the best night rides ever. Have fun!

^I doubt you'll need Fast Lane on a Friday. Remember to ride Volcano first, though.

You should be OK with zippered pockets.

As for I305, ride in the morning and later in the day, then decide for yourself.

I wonder how Twisted Timbers will be in terms of ride capacity...

Obviously, the ride will now be 54 MPH (a slight increase over the original 50 MPH), so even though it will be longer (3351 feet vs 3157 feet) the trains should traverse the track faster, and combined with a probable increase in chain lift speed I think the TT duration will be closer to 1:45 as opposed to the original 2:00. Unfortunately, the leaked train image apparently has 6 cars of 4 compared to the original 7 cars of 4 (although it looks like we're keeping the lap bar ), and the brake run does not appear to have a third train storage track, so it seems that TT will keep the 2-train format.

Assuming perfect operations (train 1 dispatched as train 2 enters station, and vice versa):

Hurler Theoretical Ride Capacity: 30 rides per hour * 28 people per train = 840 riders / hour

Twisted Timbers Theoretical Ride Capacity: 34 rides per hour * 24 people per train = 816 riders / hour

Either way, this may be the Achilles' heel of the otherwise fantastic ride, and would make adding this to passholder ERT *that* much sweeter.

However, despite its probable low capacity, Twisted Timbers will distribute the lines away from Safari Village, which is a MAJOR upside for I305/Volcano megafans!

Let me know about your thoughts on this, and feel free to roast my math!

The person who obtained the leak told me the ride would run 3 trains with 24 seats each but I'm not holding my breath.

. . . although it looks like we're keeping the lap bar. . .

Wait, was there ever a thought/rumor that a new RMC would have anything other than just lap bars?

Wonder Woman: Golden Lasso Coaster.

I'm super excited to be heading down to KD for the first time ever this coming Friday (18th). I wanted to ask you all if I should expect large crowds this late in August? Also would a Fast Lane Plus purchase be worth it? Even with lighter crowds I want to ensure I get to ride everything a bunch of times. Also, if I go with zippered pocket shorts for my wallet and phone, would they still make me get a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo? How strict are they about loose articles?

I wouldn't expect crowds to be too bad, since many local schools are heading back into session, although if you want to get re-rides on Volcano I would recommend a FL+.

KD is very lenient with its article policy; bring a string bag for your stuff and every dry ride has -free- article bins on the ride platform (this may change next year with Twisted Timbers, but enjoy it while it lasts). The only mandatory fluffy bunnies are in the waterpark, but cargo shorts should also be fine.

I would recommend jumping on I305 first thing in the morning to get a front-seat ride and a few rerides, since the front-row line is sequestered and inaccessible to FL+. I would also recommend jumping on I305 after dark for one of the best night rides ever. Have fun!

Hmmm, I hadn't even thought about certain sections of the train being inaccessible to Fast Lane users. That stinks about the front row being blocked. The last time I went to SFGAdv I bought the Gold Flash Pass which allows re-rides and all the ops were more than accommodating to put me in ANY row I wanted. I'd definitely spend the $$ at SFGAdv for another Gold Flash Pass if ever I return. Doesn't sound like KD offers that much freedom. I have new thoughts to ponder over the next few days. Thanks for the input @certifiedcoastergeek.

^I doubt you'll need Fast Lane on a Friday. Remember to ride Volcano first, though.

As for I305, ride in the morning and later in the day, then decide for yourself.

Glad to hear my pockets and loose articles won't be an issue. I only go to parks with my wallet, phone and sunglasses. No need to weigh myself down with extra stuff I won't need.

I kind of want to save I305 as my finale coaster. I'm pretty sure I'll want to give it a good 5 - 10 re-rides in a row (if I can handle it). Volcano will probably be 3 to 4 re-rides and I've done Dominator back in it's Geauga days, so once or twice will satiate me there. Plus, I assume that once you ride I305 everything else at the park becomes crap, so culminating with I305 seems to be a logical choice for a first time visit.

The last time I went to SFGAdv I bought the Gold Flash Pass which allows re-rides and all the ops were more than accommodating to put me in ANY row I wanted.

I'm sure that wouldn't hurt capacity at all for me and 3 friends to just camp in the front car of whatever ride we wanted for a half hour.

Let me know about your thoughts on this, and feel free to roast my math!
You didn't account for the fact that the lift hill can be a block section. Once one train clears the apex, the second can be dispatched. That won't double capacity, but it will improve it.

Glad to hear my pockets and loose articles won't be an issue. I only go to parks with my wallet, phone and sunglasses. No need to weigh myself down with extra stuff I won't need.

I kind of want to save I305 as my finale coaster. I'm pretty sure I'll want to give it a good 5 - 10 re-rides in a row (if I can handle it). Volcano will probably be 3 to 4 re-rides and I've done Dominator back in it's Geauga days, so once or twice will satiate me there. Plus, I assume that once you ride I305 everything else at the park becomes crap, so culminating with I305 seems to be a logical choice for a first time visit.

That's a risky strategy. I made the mistake on my one-and-only visit to KD of waiting 10min too long to get to Hypersonic XLC. It broke down and never reopened throughout the day. Obviously I will never get the chance to get that experience again. I would strongly reccomend hitting I305 shortly after Volcano and maybe FoF.

I will be visiting in 1.5 weeks for the first time in 12 years. I will be staying basically on property at the Centerstone Inn. I am very excited to see what CF has done with the park and cross I305 off my bucket list.

I don't know why we're worried about capacity. Unless it's a Haunt Saturday, this place never gets that slammed. Volcano, Backlot, Flight of Fear, Ricochet and Avalanche all have extremely low capacity too and wait times aren't usually that excessive. RMCs have perfectly adequate capacity.

^^--Yeah it may be overcrowded at first -- so was Hurler originally -- if so just give a few months or a year. I305 was wonderfully free of opening mobs, but that has higher capacity and people were afraid of it. Still, I noticed at SFNE that the lines for Superman were longer than for Wicked Cyclone, newness goes away fast. OTOH the whole park should be more crowded next year, but they need it, June was a ghost town. This definitely moves KD way up on enthusiasts' lists for sure -- maybe even above CP if they weren't doing anything new there, which of course couldn't be allowed.