TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Something tells me they are announcing more than just RMC Hurler though, considering it's their "biggest announcement in history." August 16th really cannot come soon enough!

I really think people put way too much stock into completely arbitrary terms. I highly doubt this will be a "bigger announcement" than Intimidator 305 in the eyes of anyone on this forum but it doesn't have to be for them to claim that. Maybe this comes with some general upgrades (a new parking gate seems likely since the chain seems to be in the process of renovating those) but I don't think the phrase "biggest announcement in history." is something people should get hung up on since it can mean whatever they want it to mean.

You're absolutely right. Even if they only announce RMC Hurler, that's still plenty for me!

I really think people put way too much stock into completely arbitrary terms. I highly doubt this will be a "bigger announcement" than Intimidator 305 in the eyes of anyone on this forum but it doesn't have to be for them to claim that. Maybe this comes with some general upgrades (a new parking gate seems likely since the chain seems to be in the process of renovating those) but I don't think the phrase "biggest announcement in history." is something people should get hung up on since it can mean whatever they want it to mean.

Agreed I've been noticing people assuming this must mean more than one ride. People we're getting an RMC. Most parks are lucky to get a Troika.

Something tells me they are announcing more than just RMC Hurler though, considering it's their "biggest announcement in history." August 16th really cannot come soon enough!

"Biggest announcement in the park's history" is a direct quote from park marketing materials released to

. Considering that they have to top Intimidator 305 ($30M when added, about $34M in today's dollars), that's a pretty high bar to clear assuming that RMC Hurler should cost no more than $10-13M in today's dollars. Even if they're not counting money as a qualification for "biggest announcement", I would still anticipate at least one of the following, from most to least likely:

1. Winterfest. CF has begun to roll this out to more parks.

2. Revamped Hurler plaza, possibly including back entrance to waterpark and new restaurant, among other additions. Maybe a flat ride or two?

3. Knott's Boomerang, if they haven't sold it already. Unlikely, since construction would have already started on this.

4. Removing RMC Hurler in sections and installing it at Carowinds, then building Camp Snoopy in its place with three new family-friendly thrill rides!

"Biggest announcement in the park's history" is a direct quote from park marketing materials released to

. Considering that they have to top Intimidator 305 ($30M when added, about $34M in today's dollars), that's a pretty high bar to clear assuming that RMC Hurler should cost no more than $10-13M in today's dollars. Even if they're not counting money as a qualification for "biggest announcement", I would still anticipate at least one of the following, from most to least likely:

1. Winterfest. CF has begun to roll this out to more parks.

2. Revamped Hurler plaza, possibly including back entrance to waterpark and new restaurant, among other additions. Maybe a flat ride or two?

3. Knott's Boomerang, if they haven't sold it already. Unlikely, since construction would have already started on this.

4. Removing RMC Hurler in sections and installing it at Carowinds, then building Camp Snoopy in its place with three new family-friendly thrill rides!

In addition to the RMC, I think we will see Winterfest and a revamp of that Hurler plaza. I can see a Harmony Hall-type place or a new restaurant replacing the current Jukebox Diner, as that doesn't fit the theme that KD is going for.

A new toll plaza is also a wild card but I don't see another new ride in 2018.

I'm curious to see if they sell the all season fast lane plus again next year and how much it goes up in price. I have one for this season and even though I haven't gotten down there as many times as I wanted I would definitely buy another one next year, especially with rmc Hurler opening.

Winterfest is a possibility and they might clean up the plaza a little but the rest is a little out there (and yes, I know the last one was a joke). As you stated, there's no reason to believe they're counting money as a qualification here. It's an arbitrary term that could mean absolutely anything. I really wouldn't read too far into it.

. Considering that they have to top Intimidator 305...
They don't have to "top" anything. Hell, they could decide tomorrow to bulldoze RMC Hurler and install a big Snoopy Sno-Cone machine and figure out a way to say its the "biggest announcement in the park's history".

We live in a hashtag/social media world so even if people complained that the announcement was not big enough, a day later its forgotten and on to the next thing. The comment's purpose is to get people to pay attention right now. It worked.

Bill's right. People are taking the comment way too seriously....and literally.

SO... I had sadly completely forgotten about RMC Hurler!! Great to see construction coming right along!!

Super excited for the announcement... And I am jumping on board the "Please have a barrel roll first drop" train!!

If that is in fact the name then I suppose "timbers" is the new "hawk"

If that's the case then Mean Streak is probably going to be "Outlaw Timbers."

CGAs new coaster will be "Railblazer Timbers" and KBFs "Hangtime Timbers"

Okay I'll stop now that was fun.