TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Rebel Yell runs really well in non-wheel seats, but it's actually quite jolty and rough elsewhere. I know this is on its way out sooner than later, which makes me sad.

Grizzly also ran pretty bad. It was spooky, because we stopped going up the lift hill and when we resumed, we CRAWLED up the lift and hit the first turnaround at a ridiculously slow speed.

Avalanche also seemed really questionable at parts. Like after the lift and first little bit of course, you go up a straight section and get slammed back and forth until your car runs flush with the track, which was really awful. I want this to stick around, just needs a bit of work I would think.

No way on RY, it will probably be at the park as long as they exist. Notice they just rebuilt a lot of the lift hill? Among the smoothest I remember it ever being. However, the south side has something odd going on, usually it's ahead in the race and it still is for the first 2/3, but then suddenly (from the north side which I usually ride) it's like what happened to it, so far behind you can't even see it.

Avalanche has always been like that. It would almost be better if it went straight to the final/main sequence, it seems like they wanted to make it longer though. Re: Grizzly, should have ridden again! Someone probably had their phone out, maybe taking pics of Hurler construction.

I did notice the work that was done on Rebel Yell and it seems like both times I rode it, one side dispatched a good second or two early which made all the difference for the race. I obviously want it to stick around!

I mean, I know it's been like that and I guess that's just the difficulty of the design,but it seemed a little worse than 5 years ago.

And yeah, that's what we both assumed since it started back up so quickly thereafter. I dunno, it was still a little rough for my liking.

My cousins and I were heading to Richmond yesterday to meet up with my friend. They decided to go to Kings Dominion for a few hours. I stayed until 5 in the evening. Unfortunately, I didn’t bring the camera with me, but here’s the review of the rides I rode.

Volcano: The Blast Coaster- I went in the back row. The launch was intense and fast. A bit of nice hangtime at the top. Rest of the ride is kind of boring except for the drop at the end. It’s still one of the best rides at the park. 4/5

Intimidator 305- I also went on the back row. This ride is fast and intense, especially on the first turn. I got grayed out on that turn. There are a couple of pops of airtime on the first drop and the first airtime hill. The ride is smooth but not smooth as Fury 325. It’s still in my top 3 for now. 5/5

Flight of Fear- I’m on the back row trend. The launch was fast but not as intense as Volcano’s. The first half was rough until after the MCBR where it was smooth and the corkscrew still throws me off. 3.5/5

Ricochet- One word… Tame. 2/5

Rebel Yell- I went on the front since they were no lines there. The coaster is smoother than last year. It has three airtime moments throughout the ride. It’s a classic, and still fun IMO. 3.5/5

Hey guys, I will be making my first trip to the park since 2005 on Wednesday the 23rd. I am very excited to finally get on I305, ride Dominator for the first time since I visited SFWoA in 2003, and hit up missed credits from last time (Grizzly and Drop Zone, both of which were down). I will be staying at the Centerstone Inn, which is essentially on-property and saves me $ on parking. I know the general advice is to hit up Volcano and FoF due to capacity issues, but I had a few general questions:

-For anyone familiar with the drive from central NJ, are there any options to avoid the crazy DC traffic without going too far out of my way? If not, how do you guys think traffic will be on 95 in that area around 8-9pm on a weekday?

-Any suggestions on where to eat? Preferably something a sitdown place a little nicer than your usual theme park food.

-Not expecting to deal with rain, but if it happens will the coasters continue operation as long as there is no lightning in the area?

I live in New Brunswick, NJ and when I went to Kings Dominion a couple summers ago I also went to Busch Gardens Williamsburg the day before so taking US-13 down through the Delmarva peninsula wasn't really all that far out of my way, but it did avoid the DC traffic. When I went back home, I did go past DC but didn't hit a lot of traffic.

Nitro:

Traffic is what it is on 95, but the ezpass express lanes will save you some time.

Eat at jakes place or Bojangles (if you haven't been there before) in Ashland (one exit south on 95)

We hit volcano, flight of fear, intimidator, anaconda, and the back lot coaster within the first 50 min of the park being open last Tuesday... lines were silent all day!

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll just suck it up with going thru DC on 95. I have a bad history with it as back in 2005 my mom totalled her car there on our way to SFA from BGW. So, along with the memories of terrible traffic, I was really trying to bypass it if possible. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

DC traffic probably won't be that bad at 8 or 9 PM on a Wednesday. I-95 dies down quite a bit by 7:30, but (not to scare you) accidents occur often in Maryland so you never really know. I always use traffic apps (Waze) to navigate around DC, as there are a few different routes you can take in case one is jammed. Once you get south of DC though, you will have less options.

I'm not aware of Kings Dominion's official rain policy, but I've seen most rides run in light rain.

Traffic on I 95 at that time should not be too bad. There is some long term construction so you might check this site www.511virginia.org/ before you get on the road.

KD will operate rides in light rain and long as there is no lightning in the area. If lightning is reported, rides may close for 15 - 30 minutes until the storms move out of the area. If it is a prolonged period of heavy rain like yesterday, both the rides and waterpark may close early. KD will announce this on twitter and FB.

Edited by VACoasterdude

-For anyone familiar with the drive from central NJ, are there any options to avoid the crazy DC traffic without going too far out of my way? If not, how do you guys think traffic will be on 95 in that area around 8-9pm on a weekday?

There are options, but a lot of times they suck too. You'll probably be fine if you're headed south that late on a weekday since the express lanes will be open in your direction. Since you're from Jersey I assume you have an EZ Pass. Use a traffic app to decide if you want to use those express lanes. They're expensive but they can absolutely be worth it sometimes. Don't use the express lanes north of Baltimore. Those are f*cking stupid.

-Any suggestions on where to eat? Preferably something a sitdown place a little nicer than your usual theme park food.

Not really, I'm pretty sure your hotel has a 24 hour Denny's in it though (it used to when it was a Best Western and it looks like it's still there). Obviously the food there is average at best but it's cheap and convenient. When we stayed there we just ate dinner there after the park closed. There isn't really any great food place at KD.

-Not expecting to deal with rain, but if it happens will the coasters continue operation as long as there is no lightning in the area?

Yes, their rain policy is terrific.

The only pattern that I've been seeing is that stupid upside down T. It's only been in a word with 2 t's back to back and it's always been the first one. Sure, I've noticed a pattern, that isn't the problem. The problem is I have no flippin' clue what that's supposed to mean.

Quite the teaser campaign KD is pumping out. Would be more fun if we didn't know EXACTLY what the ride is or at least the type of coaster

If we had no clue what they were doing it would be a masterful teaser, but it's a really good teaser for the ride and it's name. Maybe they're doing some form of an update to all of Candy Apple Grove. They have been saying this will be the biggest announcement yet, and updating a whole section of the park would be pretty big, and the pattern is apples.

I'm probably grasping at straws here, but hey we're all talking about this and that's exactly what Kings Dominion wants us to be doing.

I predict that in addition to RMC Hurler, the Apple Turnover may return as either a refurbished or newer Enterprise model! There may also be a renovation to Candy Apple Grove with a few more flat ride additions, making 8/16 the "Biggest Announcement in KD's history!"

I predict that in addition to RMC Hurler, the Apple Turnover may return as either a refurbished or newer Enterprise model! There may also be a renovation to Candy Apple Grove with a few more flat ride additions, making 8/16 the "Biggest Announcement in KD's history!"

Prediction RMC Hurler and Winterfest

Did anyone see that rumor a couple weeks ago about the name of RMC Hurler being "Rotten Apple"? I haven't been keeping up with this thread lately so apologies if that was discussed.

I'm personally not a fan of that one but I guess that might fit the pattern.

Current Kings Dominion Teasers

6/20: 816. Just remember... things aren't always what they seem.

6/27: 20. BE⊥TER than 4.

7/4: 3. BE⊥TER than none.

7/11: 28. Makes it BE⊥TER.

7/18: The force RA⊥TLED the windows.

7/25: It left everything TA⊥TERED and torn in its wake.

8/1: It can be a bit KNO⊥TY.

8/8: Do you see a PA⊥TERN?

The thing with the teasers is they tend to seem so obvious that one is left wondering if we're missing something.

I'm going on a company teambuilding to KD this Thursday and I was wondering what are the best places to eat for our team lunch. Company pays for everything, so money is no issue. Thanks!

Country Kitchen (American)

Panda Express

Border Cafe (good if you get the steak or chicken, avoid the regular beef, smaller portions than these other 2)

Wayside Grill (sort of Country Kitchen lite)