TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^ Have you ridden Joker? Just curious and if so what makes it "meh"? Im dying to know.

Also the theming isn't the end all to be all. Who cares if it is themed to Snoopy as the Red Baron? Kings Dominion has a boblsed coaster in the damn "Congo" area. Give me a break.

The Red Baron is basically the villain from Peanuts. He is based on a real person who was a German fighter pilot during World War I. Basically in the comic Snoopy sits on his dog house and imagines he is having dog fights with him over Europe. Which always end with his plane (dog house) being shot down by the Red Baron.

snoopy-first-red-baron.jpg?w=474

Why do I think this is possible? Basically all of the teasers from the park have featured Snoopy. Including what was released last year.

13736853_1243540972377013_264284198_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTMxNDczNDE2NDI0NzAwMjc3Nw%3D%3D.2

And the two more recent images.

Beyond the teasers, I think theming a coaster to an imaginary battle with a World War I fighter pilot seems like a good idea. There is no need for the ride to be a kids ride, it can still have inversions, a stall, and other elements RMC is known for. As you leave the station you are cleared for take off, climb up the lift hill and a speaker announces that the Red Baron has been spotted right before the drop, then in the brake run you hear something about being shot down and you might have better luck next time. I am a little surprised Cedar Fair has not already done this.

^^The 2017 teasers had nothing to do with Hurler. Snoopy was CLEARLY looking up at a picture of a Planet Snoopy ride.

It just seems illogical to have a Peanuts theme for a ride that isn't for kids. At all.

Rock Bottom Plunge would like to have a word with you.

^^The 2017 teasers had nothing to do with Hurler. Snoopy was CLEARLY looking up at a picture of a Planet Snoopy ride.

It just seems illogical to have a Peanuts theme for a ride that isn't for kids. At all.

Rock Bottom Plunge would like to have a word with you.

The fact that you have to use a coaster from a shopping mall means that you don't have a very strong argument.

Its so illogical, how could they ever go on. Peanuts theme on an RMC clear means no adult will ride it now.

According to people on Facebook, Avalanche and Volcano are still down and have been down for quite a while now. I really hope Kings Dominion can get them up and running again soon, as they are some of the most popular rides in the park.

That's a bummer. I hope they open in the next month. I'll be there for the first time on the 29th and 30th of July. I'd hate to miss out on those rides.

The Red Baron is basically the villain from Peanuts. [...]

Beyond the teasers, I think theming a coaster to an imaginary battle with a World War I fighter pilot seems like a good idea. There is no need for the ride to be a kids ride, it can still have inversions, a stall, and other elements RMC is known for. As you leave the station you are cleared for take off, climb up the lift hill and a speaker announces that the Red Baron has been spotted right before the drop, then in the brake run you hear something about being shot down and you might have better luck next time. I am a little surprised Cedar Fair has not already done this.

I'm also surprised they haven't done something with that name. The other thing I thought of with the Mean Streak "they're" is some sort of co-theming between the new rides, maybe a western area at KD. Reasonably speaking, the chances are maybe 10% for each.

Latest news is they've started removing track from the turnaround at top of the drop. Brake run track was removed Friday and replaced with new on Monday!

According to people on Facebook, Avalanche and Volcano are still down and have been down for quite a while now. I really hope Kings Dominion can get them up and running again soon, as they are some of the most popular rides in the park.

When I was there last Thursday it was listed as closed for the day. However, later that day we were in another part of the park and saw it testing. By the time we got there someone said that they heard a loud bang or explosion (their words, not mine) then the ride was down again for the rest of the day. Avalanche went down around noon and never restored operating.

Went back Saturday and both rides were still down. Kinda bummed because we only manage to get to KD every 2-3 years and I didn't get my Volcano fix....

Indeed, i missed two new credits when i was there on Monday. Apparently that loud BANG someone heard was a drive wheel that blew on Volcano. I have not heard why Avalanche was closed but one can guess that they didn't want a lot of foot traffic over there.

Other than those two coasters down, everything was rode and it really was a fun day at the park and IMO, Dominator is better than Rougarou. As far as i305 goes, of the three Giga's I've rode, I would put it at second, with Fury in 1st and millennium on 3rd.

I'm curious about this whole Volcano-being-down timeline because it's the upcoming 4th of July weekend; they're offering cheaper bring-a-friend tickets for passholders, and besides some heat it doesn't look too bad this weekend. I have family coming in to visit, and they decided to go to KD on Saturday. Hopefully the park can get their most popular ride up and running before then.

Has Cedar Fair ever had a ride sponsored by a product? Out of curiosity.

I'm not entirely sure about this, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Intimidators were/are sponsored by Nascar, considering they're named/themed after Dale Earnhardt I.

I'm heading down to Kings Dominion next week for the first time since I was a child. How accommodating are the roller coasters for large guests? Which coasters should I try and which stay away from? For reference, I can't fit on any B&M coaster.

Hopefully Avalanche is back up by then as it's the most accommodating (there was a big biker once I heard screaming "finally, something I can ride!). Next is Anaconda, my friend (and past ride mate) who can't fit B&Ms anymore managed it. I305 can fit large persons, but some will not do good with the forces, if you've ever felt like passing out on a ride (no go for my friend). That's about it unless you can do the woodies with the seat dividers and tight lap bars. Drop Tower is very unlikely despite how big the seats look. Windseeker possible.