TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Carowinds got an extra money package when they got Fury, but it may be a one-time investment rather than a pattern. They do have a less competitive location. I went 19 or 20 years ago, back then Hurler was the latest coaster and frankly by far the best, as Thunder Road seemed like it barely made it back to the station and the top steel was a standup. KD already had FoF with Volcano on the way. The difference vs. KD was huge at that time, it has narrowed but clearly KD had a big lead back then.

BTW I rode Volcano last Tuesday.

After reading the last few pages of this thread, I'm not sure if I should grab some popcorn and beer and wait for more or reach for the migraine medication.

I dread the state of this thread when RMC Hurler is officially announced.

Interesting factoid Wonderland and Dorney have both received coasters the same year the last 3 times

2005 - CW- Backlot Stunt DP-Hydra

2008 - CW - Behemoth DP- Possessed

2012 - CW - Leviathan DP- Stinger

Neither is getting a coaster in 2018, but they may both get one in 2019. I predict CW finally gets "Ziz" as B&M Wing or Dive coaster.

Ziz has been a rumor for four years now.

Interesting factoid Wonderland and Dorney have both received coasters the same year the last 3 times

Neither is getting a coaster in 2018, but they may both get one in 2019. I predict CW finally gets "Ziz" as B&M Wing or Dive coaster.

You have been a tumor in this thread for four months now.

Yes, and a rumor for good reason. CW has the space and it's a top end park in the chain. The names Behemoth, Leviathan, and Ziz are linked in mythology representing earth, water, and air. The trademarking of the name was purposeful to complete the triad of coasters at some point. I predict minimum 3 CF coasters in 2019...CW, Dorney, and Carrowinds vortex conversion to floorless. 2020 Carowinds gets another coaster b/c CP got and CGA by all indications will be getting a coasters the year after their floorless conversions.

One thing that I'd like to see at KD is a nice sized family restaurant. Similar to the one in Carowinds near Nighthawk. That is a great option for families with the dining plan as there are several options to choose from. Makes it easier when you have 4 mouths to feed and everyone wants something different.

Is there currently any decent sit-down restaurant in the park, dining pass or not? Visiting with the whole family on Thursday as well, so I'm not sure what the best option is going to be for us.

(Sorry to distract from all the semi-annual attempts at ranking what "tier" the CF parks are in...)

You have been a tumor in this thread for four months now.

I'm stunned nobody has commented on this yet.

Yes, and a rumor for good reason. CW has the space and it's a top end park in the chain. The names Behemoth, Leviathan, and Ziz are linked in mythology representing earth, water, and air. The trademarking of the name was purposeful to complete the triad of coasters at some point. I predict minimum 3 CF coasters in 2019...CW, Dorney, and Carrowinds vortex conversion to floorless. 2020 Carowinds gets another coaster b/c CP got and CGA by all indications will be getting a coasters the year after their floorless conversions.

That doesn't mean Ziz will be a thing. Wouldn't surprise me really if Worlds of Fun and even Valleyfair get a coaster before Canada's Wonderland. You also have to keep in mind that CGA is getting a hyper too in the near future.

One thing that I'd like to see at KD is a nice sized family restaurant. Similar to the one in Carowinds near Nighthawk. That is a great option for families with the dining plan as there are several options to choose from. Makes it easier when you have 4 mouths to feed and everyone wants something different.

Is there currently any decent sit-down restaurant in the park, dining pass or not? Visiting with the whole family on Thursday as well, so I'm not sure what the best option is going to be for us.

(Sorry to distract from all the semi-annual attempts at ranking what "tier" the CF parks are in...)

There are three spots off the top of my head in the park that have indoor sit-down areas. There's a chicken sandwich/burger place (the Hungry Hippo I think) right by Stunt Coaster, Chick-fil-a, and a pizza place (can't remember the name) next door to the Soak City entrance. There is a Panda Express in the front of the park, and I think there is a little bit of indoor seating beyond the seats by the fountains. Starbucks has seats, but that's obviously not a restaurant.

In addition to those mentioned there is Outer Hank's which is a little fish fry joint in front of Volcano. There's also the country kitchen (or whatever it's called) behind the carousel.

There's no one big place to eat indoors at KD but there are several small areas to eat with some A/C.

Latest guide to KD food:

The Country Kitchen is their premiere sit down restaurant for those in a meat and potatoes mood. It has been good this year and, for the first time in years, open 'til close every day. If you go, don't get the chicken tenders because those can be had anywhere and everything else is better. This restaurant includes their single best food item relative to its type, cole slaw. Get it on your BBQ sandwich (magic, even it doesn't sound good), on the side or as a full side, but whatever you do, get the slaw. Yes it's just cole slaw but you won't find better anywhere.

Outer Hanks is good if you value A/C over everything else. Hungry Hippo if you have dining plan and want to eat the fries now and take the sandwich with you. Otherwise avoid. Int'l Street Pizza can be good, but chances are less than 1%; outside. Victoria's is big but sucks. Panda Express and Chic-Fil-a ares very good but of course chains; 4 tables inside PE I've never been in CFA. Border Cafe is good but smaller food than the Kitchen and it's on the way out so if you don't have the dining plan I'd just keep going; has A/C.

Latest guide to KD food:

The Country Kitchen is their premiere sit down restaurant for those in a meat and potatoes mood. It has been good this year and, for the first time in years, open 'til close every day. If you go, don't get the chicken tenders because those can be had anywhere and everything else is better. This restaurant includes their single best food item relative to its type, cole slaw. Get it on your BBQ sandwich (magic, even it doesn't sound good), on the side or as a full side, but whatever you do, get the slaw. Yes it's just cole slaw but you won't find better anywhere.

Outer Hanks is good if you value A/C over everything else. Hungry Hippo if you have dining plan and want to eat the fries now and take the sandwich with you. Otherwise avoid. Int'l Street Pizza can be good, but chances are less than 1%; outside. Victoria's is big but sucks. Panda Express and Chic-Fil-a ares very good but of course chains; 4 tables inside PE I've never been in CFA. Border Cafe is good but smaller food than the Kitchen and it's on the way out so if you don't have the dining plan I'd just keep going; has A/C.

Thanks, Bill. With temps expected in the 90's during the midday on Thursday, I'm thinking Outer Hanks might be the best bet for lunch and Country Kitchen for dinner. Appreciate the assist!

Really looking forward to bringing the wife and kids down here (and to BGW the following day). It's the first time at these parks for all of them, so here's hoping they have a great time!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that after carefully analyzing the clues in these teasers they're getting an RMC Hurler. You heard it here first...

No way! You must be wrong. 2018 is not a big anniversary year for the park, so why would they add a major steel coaster? Also, it would completely mess up their steel-to-wood coaster ratio. Don't be ridiculous.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that after carefully analyzing the clues in these teasers they're getting an RMC Hurler. You heard it here first...

No way! You must be wrong. 2018 is not a big anniversary year for the park, so why would they add a major steel coaster? Also, it would completely mess up their steel-to-wood coaster ratio. Don't be ridiculous.

To be fair The Joker did mess up Discovery Kingdom's balance of coasters.

ra