TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

since it's shaping up to be a macabre theme like Banshee.

It is? Are we basing this off one teaser?

If it's one thing enthusiasts do other than smelling and complaining, it's making assumptions

I said shaping up to be, not it WILL be.

And please: if you saw teasers portraying the grim reaper and a matrix-anthology style, wouldn't you think a dark theme?

816 is the area code for Kansas City, so it obviously means that one of KD's coasters is being moved to World's Of Fun.

Worlds of Fun might get a coaster soon. Omunet stated in an article that Cedar Fair will start to focus on their mid-lower-tier parks now, which means that we'll finally start to see KD, WOF, VF, and Dorney get some love.

The sad thing is that Michigan's Adventure will still be screwed in this scenerio.

^ What do you mean by low tier?

Would you consider KD in the same category as Michigan's Adventure, WoF, or Valleyfair? Or in the same category as KI & Carowinds? I would put it in the 2nd category myself meaning that it isn't what I would consider a low tier park.

Consider that they have a 300+ foot tall Intamin that is rated one of the best coasters in the country, they have a crap wooden coaster that is getting an RMC makeover and have one of the best floor-less loopers out there.

Throw that in with a unique Intamin (Volcano), an indoor launch spaghetti bowl and a few other decent to horrible coasters for good measure, they have a pretty good selection when in comparison to a few other CF parks out there.

Has it gotten to the point where Kings Dominion has become one of the low tier parks in the cedar fair chain?

They're mid-tier.

Tier 1: Cedar Point, Kings Island

Tier 2: Carowinds, Canada's Wonderland

Tier 3: Kings Dominion, Knott's Berry Farm, California's Great America

Tier 4: Dorney Park, Worlds of Fun, Valleyfair

Tier 5: Michigan's Adventure

Has it gotten to the point where Kings Dominion has become one of the low tier parks in the cedar fair chain?

They're mid-tier.

I'd argue WOF has moved up to tier 3, Knott's is Tier 1, and Dorney is damn near Tier 5.

They're mid-tier.

I don't agree with this... Carowinds Tier 2? I'd say Knott's is easily in Tier 2, and probably KD is above Carowinds. At worst, they're in equal tiers. I haven't been to KD in 15 years, and I went to Carowinds a couple of years ago, and I'd STILL put KD at worst, equal to Carowinds!

Oh, and Michigan's Adventure is more like Tier 6. There is no Tier 5!

One thing that I'd like to see at KD is a nice sized family restaurant. Similar to the one in Carowinds near Nighthawk. That is a great option for families with the dining plan as there are several options to choose from. Makes it easier when you have 4 mouths to feed and everyone wants something different.

They're mid-tier.

I don't agree with this... Carowinds Tier 2? I'd say Knott's is easily in Tier 2, and probably KD is above Carowinds. At worst, they're in equal tiers. I haven't been to KD in 15 years, and I went to Carowinds a couple of years ago, and I'd STILL put KD at worst, equal to Carowinds!

I'm going by investment and attendance.

I guess you could put Knott's in tier 2 then but still the rankings are accurate.

They're mid-tier.

I'd argue WOF has moved up to tier 3, Knott's is Tier 1, and Dorney is damn near Tier 5.

Not in terms of attention from Cedar Fair. WOF has been ignored as much as Dorney and Knott's is getting their first major new coaster in 14 years.

They're mid-tier.

I guess you could put Knott's in tier 2 then but still the rankings are accurate.

Are you basing this just on Fury being the new hotness? I mean, KD has a Giga already. They don't have a Hyper, but they do have a sweet Floorless, and one of the only launched Inverts in the world. Next year, they'll have an RMC. I just wasn't that impressed by Carowinds when I went there. Underwhelmed, actually, would be an apt description. I guess it's all a matter of perspective, however...

They're mid-tier.

Are you basing this just on Fury being the new hotness? I mean, KD has a Giga already. They don't have a Hyper, but they do have a sweet Floorless, and one of the only launched Inverts in the world. Next year, they'll have an RMC. I just wasn't that impressed by Carowinds when I went there. Underwhelmed, actually, would be an apt description. I guess it's all a matter of perspective, however...

I think the RMC might put them in tier 2 but it will have to be a great one.

However Fury is the best coaster in the world by many plus Carowinds got I232 and an amazing food upgrade recently. Again, it's by recent investment.

By overall quality over the course of entire existence, here's how I would rank the Cedar Fair parks (the ones I've been to):

1. Cedar Point (best non-theme park period)

2/3. Kings Dominion (nicest looking, upper-echelon collection)

2/3. Kings Island (Best balance of coasters, upper-echelon look)

4. Carowinds (Fury, decent depth, food is great, mediocre looking)

5. Canada's Wonderland (Nice landscaping and fantastic flat rides but awful collection of coasters)

6. Knott's Berry Farm (two good coasters and okay theming).

7. Dorney Park (Three good coasters and no theming).

They're mid-tier.

I'll be going to Carowinds the day after next so I'll be able to judge that park then, but I definitely don't see KD on the same level as CGA. I agree with your assessment, DILinator, I was very impressed with the park.

We don't know what CGA is getting yet, but KD getting one of the first RMCs in the chain automatically puts them high on the totem pole, IMO.

I wasn't trying to say that by no means, in fact I think they are NOT a low tier park. Instead, I was referring to the post above me.

Sorry about that then...I usually skip over that persons posts for some weird reason.

They're mid-tier.

Not in terms of attention from Cedar Fair. WOF has been ignored as much as Dorney and Knott's is getting their first major new coaster in 14 years.

In 2017, WOF is spending $5 mil+ on WinterFest, $2 mil on flats, and $3 mil on the new entrance. They also spent $10 mil in 2013, $8 mil in 2011, and $8 mil in 2009. They've also received a major coaster more recently than any park in tiers 4 and 5, and have the most children's rides of any kid's area in the U.S. I think I have an argument.

^Fine, here's a re-alignment:

Tier 2: Kings Dominion, Carowinds, Canada's Wonderland

Tier 3: Knott's Berry Farm, California's Great America, Worlds of Fun

Tier 4: Dorney Park, Valleyfair

Six Flags wise (just for sh*ts and giggles):

Tier 1: Magic Mountain (let's be honest)

Tier 2: Great Adventure, Great America

Tier 3: Over Texas, Fiesta Texas, New England, Over Georgia

Tier 4: Discovery Kingdom, Mexico

Tier 5: St. Louis, America, La Ronde

Tier 6: Great Escape

Interesting factoid Wonderland and Dorney have both received coasters the same year the last 3 times

2005 - CW- Backlot Stunt DP-Hydra

2008 - CW - Behemoth DP- Possessed

2012 - CW - Leviathan DP- Stinger

Neither is getting a coaster in 2018, but they may both get one in 2019. I predict CW finally gets "Ziz" as B&M Wing or Dive coaster.