TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I think a more forceful approach with a low to the ground turn would be better, but it depends if they are going for a less intense ride. An overbank would be nice and fun, but that is it. An inverting first drop (Like stormchaser) followed by a fast paced turn would be really thrilling and fun. Then pull up for a beautiful, fairly large airtime hill...perfect.

Nah a turn too low would be pointless like the original Hurler. The overbank I drew was largely exaggerated, mostly because I was using the markup feature on my iPhone. I think an airtime pop followed by a small overbank like Wicked Cyclone would be ideal. I can also imagine a tunnel after the first drop to increase the speed a bit.

I see where you are going with that. While I do not know now forceful a RMC overbank is, I know the ones on Taron can be really forceful. A tunnel would be nice, but that would not work on the plot size. It is simply not big enough for a drop, tunnel, then airtime hill, THEN overbank. There is really not enough room.

What could also happen, is that you could get a double up sort of thing, but with an overbank instead of a second hill crest. Like a mini version of what is seen on New Texas Giant.

I think a more forceful approach with a low to the ground turn would be better, but it depends if they are going for a less intense ride. An overbank would be nice and fun, but that is it. An inverting first drop (Like stormchaser) followed by a fast paced turn would be really thrilling and fun. Then pull up for a beautiful, fairly large airtime hill...perfect.

Nah a turn too low would be pointless like the original Hurler. The overbank I drew was largely exaggerated, mostly because I was using the markup feature on my iPhone. I think an airtime pop followed by a small overbank like Wicked Cyclone would be ideal. I can also imagine a tunnel after the first drop to increase the speed a bit.

I see where you are going with that. While I do not know now forceful a RMC overbank is, I know the ones on Taron can be really forceful. A tunnel would be nice, but that would not work on the plot size. It is simply not big enough for a drop, tunnel, then airtime hill, THEN overbank. There is really not enough room.

What could also happen, is that you could get a double up sort of thing, but with an overbank instead of a second hill crest. Like a mini version of what is seen on New Texas Giant.

I mean skip the airtime hill in lieu of the tunnel.

I mean skip the airtime hill in lieu of the tunnel.

That doesn't sound like RMC's style.

So far it looks like the second turn will be similar to the original, so surely the first turn replacement will be different. At this point they have a clean slate. Overbanks come in different kinds, for example the first turn on Dominator is just a smooth flowing banking of a high speed turn, but the other kind such as on MF or B&M's Hammerhead turn (Nitro) are elevated to slow down the coaster. The lift would have to be well over 100', maybe even 150', to justify a curve like that the same width as the original. I could see a 90 degree or so turn like that to make room for an inversion or something, although it still doesn't really work. Some of the more complex ideas suggested might work, but I haven't seen an actual RMC yet. I'm thinking a wave turn or even something along the lines of a new RMC Cobra Roll. So far there's no evidence of inversions, but they may be holding that back (the half constructed lift on Mean Streak also appears intentionally delayed).

There's steel ledgers on the middle hill of the backstretch now and it's clear this thing is going to be intense. The hills go up maybe 10' higher than before -- not enough to really slow it down -- and I had to make a second pass looking from Grizzly to decide that the hill is pulling up as of the last ledger about 3' above the ground. I don't think they'll have to dig a hole but the track is going right down to the ground. Considering these three hills were floater air before, we might argue what ejector air is, but clearly this defines it. And that's before increasing the lift hill!

a new RMC Cobra Roll.

NO No no no no! 2 reasons. Firstly the footers do not match it at all. Secondly, for RMC to pull that off using wooden supports, or even the steel ones, it would need to be twice the height. They do more roll based inversions, rather than loop based ones. This will not happen at all. Sorry. This will either be a corner or overbank turn.

a new RMC Cobra Roll.

NO No no no no! 2 reasons. Firstly the footers do not match it at all. Secondly, for RMC to pull that off using wooden supports, or even the steel ones, it would need to be twice the height. They do more roll based inversions, rather than loop based ones. This will not happen at all. Sorry. This will either be a corner or overbank turn.

I was thinking a less loop based one but it still doesn't make sense because then it doesn't turn much, but if there's any other way of getting an inversion and turnaround that's still possible. However, I don't buy "it doesn't match the footers", I think it's likely they'll add footers, I can't see them tying themselves down that close, especially if they don't want to alter the second turn that much. If there had been more to tear down in the first place, I'd say it's a big change for sure. Note they tore down the the first curve first and then took down the fence around it, as if it wasn't to make working easier but that it would have been in the way of the ride.

As it has a turnaround between the lift and drop, yeah the inverting drop is a good bet.

I wouldn't be surprised to see another inverted first drop on Hurler like Storm Chaser and Medusa.
I think many of us are taking this as a given until the track shows otherwise. I am. It's kind of what RMC does in in that situation, and I've heard that it makes for a pretty fun drop.

So what exactly are they doing with the station? Are they going to build a new one or just renovate the old one?

I like the current size as you can theme it pretty substantially, but my god that metal box look needs to go pronto. Also a gift shop w/ photos would be nice for a ride of this caliber.

^They're probably keeping the station. If it's not broke, why fix it and incur further unnecessary costs. They may get some sort of tax break for re-purposing the station. I will agree it's kind of...unattractive these days (as is @ Carowinds). It fit well with the Wayne's World theme as a studio. Hopefully they will dress it up to fit with whatever they do.

I've had a quick search to see if Kings Dominion still do those Twilight after 4pm tickets, but can't find anything and it's not mentioned on the website. Are they still a thing?

You have to actually select tickets and start the process of buying daily tickets to see it.

It will ask the # of times you plan to visit & how many guests before you get to the screen with these options:

kdafter4.thumb.JPG.be6e324b5c29ec59bb70aa30250a0aed.JPG

HOWEVER...FYI if you plan on going ON OR BEFORE June 30th and prefer more time in the park, tickets are only $45 for all day (Everybody Pays Kid's Prices option) vs. the $41 After 4pm/twilight ticket.

I've had a quick search to see if Kings Dominion still do those Twilight after 4pm tickets, but can't find anything and it's not mentioned on the website. Are they still a thing?

You have to actually select tickets and start the process of buying daily tickets to see it.

It will ask the # of times you plan to visit & how many guests before you get to the screen with these options:

[attachment=0]kdafter4.JPG[/attachment]

HOWEVER...FYI if you plan on going ON OR BEFORE June 30th and prefer more time in the park, tickets are only $45 for all day (Everybody Pays Kid's Prices option) vs. the $41 After 4pm/twilight ticket.

Thanks so much! Feel like a bit of an idiot because I didn't find that. It'll be a July trip, so no discount ticket for a full day for me.

Here's a pop quiz: Can you figure out the height of RMC Hurler?

The only info I will give you is that the height of the old Hurler is 83 feet, the angle of ascent on the old Hurler is 25 degrees, and the angle of ascent on RMC Hurler is 32 degrees.

According to this data, RMC Hurler should be around 111 feet, as long as the ground length of the lift remains the same.

Oh sure, why not, I'll do your math homework for you.

Assuming the distance at ground level is staying the same, and assuming those angles are taken at ground level, then it comes to 112 feet.

Tan (25°) = 0.4663

Tan = o/a

.4663 = 83/a

a = 83/.4663

a = 179.15

Tan (32°) = 0.6249

Tan = o/a

.6249 = o/179.15

o = 179.15 (.6249)

o = 111.95

How DARE you try to bring math into my coaster loving escapism hobby!

Roller coasters are basically physics, which is primarily math.

Example: You know what "Gs" actually mean? That's how many times the acceleration due to gravity (9.81 m/s^2 or 21.94 mph) the coaster will reach. It's NOT the same as velocity. The reason you get airtime is because you're getting the opposite; negative acceleration due to gravity.

One of the reasons why Skyrush is so fast despite the drop being smaller than many other hypercoasters is because the cable lift will already yield a higher amount of KE to add on to the existing drop. Conversely, of the reasons why dive coasters are always slower than hypers despite similar drops is because the amount of KE at the top is near zero thanks to the holding break.

Example: You know what "Gs" actually mean? That's how many times the acceleration due to gravity (9.81 m/s^2 or 21.94 mph) the coaster will reach. It's NOT the same as velocity. The reason you get airtime is because you're getting the opposite; negative acceleration due to gravity.

One of the reasons why Skyrush is so fast despite the drop being smaller than many other hypercoasters is because the cable lift will already yield a higher amount of KE to add on to the existing drop. Conversely, of the reasons why dive coasters are always slower than hypers despite similar drops is because the amount of KE at the top is near zero thanks to the holding break.

Please tell me you're not seriously trying to explain to me that roller coasters utilize physics, which is math??? Or questioning whether I know what "Gs" mean??? I'm just saying when I'm tooling around TPR looking for a good time enjoying my coaster hobby, figuring out math problems, no matter how significant or insignificant, is the last thing I'm looking to do!

Please tell me you're not seriously trying to explain to me that roller coasters utilize physics, which is math??? Or questioning whether I know what "Gs" mean??? I'm just saying when I'm tooling around TPR looking for a good time enjoying my coaster hobby, figuring out math problems, no matter how significant or insignificant, is the last thing I'm looking to do!

What if I told you that it's scientifically possible for a 40 mph coaster to have a more forceful launch than a 100 mph coaster?

But in all seriousness I think the RMC will be a bit taller than mathematically estimates because they'll probably extend the base a bit, reaching a height in the 115-120 range.

Still, that's tall enough to reach the skyline when you enter the park off I-95 as well as increase the speed of the ride (practically) to around 57-60 mph or so.

Im guessing an overbank after the first drop instead of the current low to the ground turn around.

If you are going to use a photo from someone elses IG page can you at least give credit? Thanks!