TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Why are they transforming Hurler then instead of building a ground up RMC? It seems like they are vastly expanding the layout.

Hurler needed it...it was cheaper...tax breaks for using existing structures...environmentally more friendly (less trees likely removed)... maybe they just felt like it...

Why are they transforming Hurler then instead of building a ground up RMC? It seems like they are vastly expanding the layout.

Hurler needed it...it was cheaper...tax breaks for using existing structures...environmentally more friendly (less trees likely removed)... maybe they just felt like it...

Is having a part of the structure already built THAT much more cost effective? I mean so much of it was already removed to the point of several sticks of wood.

I mentioned the main structure, but also: footers. Also I don't know if they would remove footers to build an entire new coaster, but I think they would, which would probably cost more than putting them in did. There's hundreds of them; for the curves they were in a sense half of the structure, since the wood supports weren't impressive. If a few footers become unused, that's different than all of them mismatching a new ride. And the space they have to fill here is the same size and shape as the old ride.

Of the RMCs, it's fairly agreed on that the weakest RMC is Goliath, which wasn't a rebuild, and the strongest is Lightning Rod, also not a rebuild, but also probably twice the cost of what they're spending here. The rebuilds are very competitive, and while they started with more on some of them, others weren't any bigger coasters than Hurler. The redesign process maybe even inspires by challenge a bit, the only coaster they designed from a truly clean slate is Goliath because all their other originals use the terrain and are better for it. Also it just seems wrong, environmentally, to tear down one wood coaster just to build another wood coaster, and perceptions can matter more than physical reality. And doesn't everybody love it when they can turn around a mistake back into the right thing?

I love it, a lower tier (in terms of revenue) Cedar Fair park is getting an RMC conversion of a coaster that everyone hated to compliment the most intense giga coaster on earth and a multi launched Intamin invert that blasts out of a Volcano and people are bitching.

^^--

Good point on Medusa, that reinforces my point (LR joke deleted).

TL:DR : There is no evidence a RMC rebuild makes for a less good ride, why spend the extra money? Keep in mind the largest piece of equipment they've used so far is a bucket truck...

BTW, you know, seeing some of the steel out behind the park I was thinking it looked like I-beams not track to me -- it just hit me maybe some of it is.

Has anyone been to the park this week (or Saturdays previous) and seen them working? Maybe they don't plan to do anything all summer.

They were working this past Tuesday and yesterday. There are now pink survey flags on the outer edge of the service road where the first turn after the drop used to be.

Please don't do this, you are getting an RMC. It is going to be great either way.

Has anyone been to the park this week (or Saturdays previous) and seen them working? Maybe they don't plan to do anything all summer.

They were working this past Tuesday and yesterday. There are now pink survey flags on the outer edge of the service road where the first turn after the drop used to be.

Please don't do this, you are getting an RMC. It is going to be great either way.

Yep--you're getting what could turn out to be another world-class coaster at Kings Dominion--or at least a damn good coaster in exchange for a damn bad one. Works for me.

I'm not complaining. I'm just surprised at how much they are removing. Usually the entire (or vast majority) of the structure is kept in conversions.

Really the only RMC I can complain about is The Joker. Not because of the ride itself, but because of the coaster choice. They should have gone with the SFA Roar instead of the SFDK one. Not only was the west coast Roar fully functional and not rough, but the conversion took away the park's only family-friendly coaster. With KD they have plenty of coasters suitable for families outside of Hurler.

I had a great day at Kings Dominion on Saturday. I ended up buying the fast lane plus all season pass when they had go on sale. I figured I'm probably only going to go on Saturdays for the most part. Thrilled with my decision as we saved so much time. I don't know what the wait times actually were for some of these rides but most of the queues had pretty long lines.

This was my second visit to the park so I had only been on intimidator 305 two times previously and was really blown away at how intense the ride was as I felt like I could barely keep my eyes open in the front or back row. Now in the past month I went to Carowinds to ride fury 325 and enjoyed it so much that I couldn't wait to get back on intimidator again. I don't know if it was the heat but I really didn't enjoy it, maybe it was just Fury has ruined me or maybe I'm just getting old but I felt like I had my ass kicked. I sat in the second row since the fast lane plus puts you into the station with no way of getting in the front row line. I'm definitely going to give it another shot, maybe at night when it's not so hot.

I saw all the hurler work going on from the other rides but I don't know nor care enough about the details to even comment other than I can't wait for it to open since I've loved the 2 RMC coasters I've been on(wicked cyclone and new Texas giant)

My one complaint about the park since it's been such a topic over in the great adventure thread is that on my first ride on grizzly during the day someone took out a cell phone on the lift and they stopped the train and the operator was saying sir put your phone away. This selfish idiot took a few minutes before actually listening and putting it away. I couldn't see who had it out but nobody was talked to after the ride ended. All parks need to get more strict about this and just start throwing people out. Make some examples out of people so at least some will think twice about it.

That being said I also had my first night ride on grizzly and that was so much damn fun. It felt so much faster than during the day and it was so dark that both factors just increased how much damn fun it was.

Overall an amazing day at a really enjoyable park.

... maybe it was just Fury has ruined me or maybe I'm just getting old but I felt like I had my A$$ kicked. I sat in the second row since the fast lane plus puts you into the station with no way of getting in the front row line. I'm definitely going to give it another shot, maybe at night when it's not so hot.

On my first ride on grizzly during the day someone took out a cell phone on the lift and they stopped the train and the operator was saying sir put your phone away. This selfish idiot took a few minutes before actually listening and putting it away. I couldn't see who had it out but nobody was talked to after the ride ended. All parks need to get more strict about this and just start throwing people out. Make some examples out of people so at least some will think twice about it.

I also much prefer Fury to I305 due to the fact that I305 absolutely kicks your ass. It's impressive and powerful and intense but I can only ride it so many times before I feel worn out, whereas I can ride Fury over and over again and I don't feel that way. Both are incredible. Heat and hydration levels do make a difference, too.

Completely agree with you about making examples of these dicks who continue to pull their cell phones out. When I was at GAdv last there was a lady in the seat in front of me on the mine train who pulled out her cell phone to record in selfie mode the entire ride with her daughter (who didn't seem to be having much fun.) The entire video is me tapping her on the shoulder and making nasty faces behind her to put her fking phone away. She refused and on the brake run slipped it into her pocket. Why do people feel the need to have to document every single freaking moment of our lives? I don't understand this. Maybe one day when she loses the grip on her phone and it cracks her daughter's skull in half she'll reconsider.

When I was at the park last Wednesday there were two guys working on Hurler on the structure. They were on the hill closest to the road. The only equipment I saw was a bucket truck but that wasn't being used. It looked like a ton of the demolition phase has already been completed. We may see new supports and maybe even track go up pretty soon.

And, bumping this just because I'm so curious as to why they would need to do this...

I saw something interesting at I305 today that I'm hoping someone here can explain. A train was boarded and they proceeded to check the restraints. I'm guessing some error was being given so the ride ops had the restraints rechecked several times. They then had everyone get out and get back in the line. That train was sent around empty. They then loaded the riders into the next train but made an announcement that they had to sit on the opposite side from where they were originally sat. If you had been on the left, now sit on the right and vice versa. After several checks of the restraints that train was sent out. The empty train came around and the next riders boarded without issue.

I've seen a lot of technical difficulties, block resets, restraint resets etc. This was the first I've seen where they had everyone on the train switch sides. Is it a weight/balance issue? Are the restraints on one side larger and they needed to accommodate a larger guest but didn't want to single them out individually?

While I may be in the minority, I like Coaster Studios. He seems like a cool guy and he's got a good thing going. That being said I think this is a little overly ambitious. It's not entirely crazy (aside from the B&M) but I don't see them spending this much. He seems to be operating under the premise that each year the park needs multiple additions and a Soak City expansion needs to coincide with a dry park expansion and I don't think either of those things are true.

While I may be in the minority, I like Coaster Studios. He seems like a cool guy and he's got a good thing going. That being said I think this is a little overly ambitious. It's not entirely crazy (aside from the B&M) but I don't see them spending this much. He seems to be operating under the premise that each year the park needs multiple additions and a Soak City expansion needs to coincide with a dry park expansion and I don't think either of those things are true.

1. I don't think you're in the minority. Most enthusiasts like him. It's just a few snobs that don't like a 19 year old giving his analysis.

2. I mean Kings Dominion has added an addition every year save for 2011. Maybe not two things per but this is my modification of Taylor's plan:

2018: RMC Hurler, WinterFest, upgrade of that back section

2019: Front gate update

2020: Mass Effect, Slingshot

2021: Soak City Expansion (yes maybe even a slide coaster).

2022: Disk-o

2023: B&M wing rider (having doubts about a flyer).

I'm definitely interested to see how the RMC comes along over the course of this season. Hurler wasn't a "big" coaster as far as they go, but after seeing what was done with Storm Chaser, RMC proved that they can pack a hell of a punch even in a small, "short" layout. Plus, we can't rule out them adding to the height of the lift like they're clearly doing with Mean Streak.

I'm definitely interested to see how the RMC comes along over the course of this season. Hurler wasn't a "big" coaster as far as they go, but after seeing what was done with Storm Chaser, RMC proved that they can pack a hell of a punch even in a small, "short" layout. Plus, we can't rule out them adding to the height of the lift like they're clearly doing with Mean Streak.

Honestly I think this could be the first conversion where the new one is actually longer than the old one. Usually it's the other way around.

I mean wow what a top 3: A giga, RMC, and launched invert.

Don't forget the best floorless. Seriously a great lineup. Can't wait to get back, it killed me to pass it twice in the past week and not go in.

Don't forget the best floorless. Seriously a great lineup. Can't wait to get back, it killed me to pass it twice in the past week and not go in.

Yup. No other floorless can match Dominator's intensity

I'm still stunned how Kings Dominion got Geauga Lake's best coaster. I mean the other parks (while still receiving good rides-ooh wait nevermind Michigan's Adventure) got clones and we got an almost world class ride.

After 2018, my updated top 3 for the park will probably be I305, Grizzly, and hopefully RMC Hurler! And then of course there's other coasters I love like Dominator, Volcano, and Anaconda, with Rebel Yell and Flight of Fear also being really good. And I still didn't mention Backlot, Avalanche, and Woodstock yet!