TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Quick question since I've never been to a park preview night: I would just get my season pass processed before the event, right?

I was under the impression that it was only for those who renewed from last year or something.

Edited by SLCHeadache

Why do you need a teaser? You're getting RMC Hurler in 2018. There's no need for a "Watch for Falling Trees" sign, we already know what they're getting aside from the name and layout, none of which we'd get from a teaser on a construction wall.

I actually think building a coaster mid season with no teasers or anything is a great form of advertising. If I make it to Kings Dominion this summer I'll be super excited to see it. Even better, you don't need to be an enthusiast to know that it's a coaster they're building, unlike with a teaser wall.

Why do you need a teaser? You're getting RMC Hurler in 2018. There's no need for a "Watch for Falling Trees" sign, we already know what they're getting aside from the name and layout, none of which we'd get from a teaser on a construction wall.

It's for the general public. Cedar Fair does this with every coaster.

I actually think building a coaster mid season with no teasers or anything is a great form of advertising. If I make it to Kings Dominion this summer I'll be super excited to see it. Even better, you don't need to be an enthusiast to know that it's a coaster they're building, unlike with a teaser wall.

Clearly this is true. In RCT2, my peeps would stop and watch my construction, take pictures and get hyped up to ride it.

Clearly this is true. In RCT2, my peeps would stop and watch my construction, take pictures and get hyped up to ride it.

Well if you were thinking of getting an All Season Fast Lane for Kings Dominion but didn't bite the bullet yet, you snooze you lose. Sold Out.

First, awesome of them to have obviously put a limit on these things, and also good on them for selling all of them before the season even starts. A lot of people scoffed at this idea, but obviously there is market for it.

Good. I was feeling like if they were going to sell a lot of them, maybe I should get one after all (Now I'm hoping to use not getting one to help justify starting up a BGW pass or something later on this year).

I'm wondering if I'm geeky enough to walk down to see Hurler before even riding anything.

I missed the beginning or most of the presentation, although I'd think Hurler would be at the end if anything.

As well as the missing track and structure section at the bottom of the drop -- which looks like they could go higher, they were limited by the bucket truck -- the track has been removed from after the missing section through the second curve and to the top of the next hill. Looks really different from Grizzly. I didn't make a beeline back there but did ride Ricochet twice to look. There's also a truck hidden behind the coaster, best I can tell the RMC bucket truck. The pile of old track in the boneyard is impressive. Word elsewhere is some new track is onsite.

To those of you wondering, yes, work has officially begun on Hurler (I've attached some preliminary pre-processing GoPro screen captures for your viewing pleasure below). Specifically, the bottom of the first drop is gone, as in gone gone, footers and all. All but the main structure on the first turn is also gone. Additionally, most of the back-end turnaround has also been removed. Not much work has been done on the rest of the ride to my knowledge.

As for how my day went, I arrived at around 5:10 (the park opened at 5 this evening). I would have taken a picture of the redesigned front entrance (finally), but I couldn't owing to the fact that there are new metal detectors, placed in front of the ticket booths. Gone are the turnstiles and bottlenecks inside the entrance plaza, but the aging facade remains. Inside the park, there are a number of new drink-bottle refill stations. After making a beeline for Hurler, I met a handful of fellow enthusiasts clamoring to be the first non-drone operators to get their eyes on the ride being demolished (Hurler, incidentally, is not present on the 2017 park map).

Here are some pictures of the slain beast:

hurlerdrop.thumb.JPG.9348336a101487a2a056699cdd2c72b1.JPG

There is really nothing left of this drop - no footers, nothing. Doesn't seem to bode well for an RMC makeover, IMHO.

hurlerfirstturnpart2.thumb.JPG.278800197078f0b1f29d68e40bf03e8b.JPG

The first turn looks more promising, though.

hurlerfirstturn.thumb.JPG.f32d6215ba9c82896466c3bb311b282b.JPG

Another angle on that turn...

spotted.thumb.JPG.dd8d7f01ac8aa3d2307b3807ae1fd33b.JPG

Who could these "random enthusiasts" be, and why are they here? :) Let's find out what they've seen...

nothinghere.thumb.JPG.7eb87c7e77fd8a440ea35cb2a4adf7cc.JPG

Nothing to see here... what could they have seen?

backofride.thumb.JPG.c12fbc82c0261a480a24a79ec126c160.JPG

Ahhh.... looks like this thing's getting chipped away from all directions.

Next, I cruised over to Volcano, waited about 15 minutes, and hopped on the second row. In the Volcano queue, there are also now banners advertising FunPix, and the gift shop was remodeled in the offseason. Intimidator was a walk-on all night (bless), and not only were the trains repainted, but there are new OTS restraints, which are essentially thicker versions of the padded OTSes which we were so accustomed too (jury's still out on this one). FoF's facade was repainted. I didn't really get a look at Planet Snoopy due to the impending presentation, but they opened three new rides and a new plaza, and gave away cotton candy, which I missed out on. After killing some time on the free go-karts, I got in line at about 6:15 for the 7:00 presentation, which netted me a spot in the third row and a great spot to film from.

To address this point before various coaster news sources upload their videos (inevitably before mine):

Early on in the presentation, the park's Director of Marketing essentially stated that "they didn't have anything big to talk about at the conference" but that "there will be an exciting formal announcement in the next couple of weeks." Unfortunately, this meant no Hurler news to the disappointment of all attendees, but at least we have a likely timeframe. Other than that, they ran over the various passholder events, announced some new festivals like a new Virginia food festival and a Soak City Beach Party, and gave some preliminary information on ERT and on the new drink bottle system. The Battle for Kings Dominion VR game also got an official preview, which looks awesome. The KD app will also get an update soon to allow you to scan the app as your pass and to roll out wait time tracking, which is a welcome first for KD. Also, free Wi-Fi, and who can argue with that?

After one last night ride on I-305, I, and presumably many others, left disappointed that nothing was announced, but hopeful that this upcoming announcement will bring good news to Central Virginia.

Of course, we could always get Knotts' Boomerang.