TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

The park said (paraphrasing) "Hey a**holes. Don't fly a f*cking drone over our property".

Man, I would visit the s**t out of a park that had the balls to actually have that verbatim in their policies.

If I ever hit the powerball and open up a theme park I can assure you that we'll have the greatest FAQ page of any theme park on the planet.

Kickstarter was made for dreams like these.

My understanding with the drones is that the FAA controls the air space, not private land owners. As long as the drone was not flown over groups of people and they pilot maintained line of sight, they should be fine. Since the park is closed, I do not think they broke the people rule. The line of sight is questionable in this video. Also, Kings Dominion is in a Class G airspace so there is no need to contact the ATC. I would not encourage people to push these rules and cause an accident. If an accident would occur, the pilot in question would be fully liable, even in the event of a "run away".

Here are the guidelines from the FAA's website:

Fly at or below 400 feet

Keep your UAS within sight

Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports

Never fly over groups of people

Never fly over stadiums or sports events

Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires

Never fly under the influence

Be aware of airspace requirements

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like some new food options are coming in Snoopy and Kings Dominon!

Now on the dining plan: Chick-fil-a and Boardwalk Fries

New for this year: Joe Cool's Pit Stop (an event space which can be privately rented) and the re-opening of Snoopy's Snack Shack (located behind Peanut's Showplace) and you can get Dippin’ Dots, fresh popcorn, ICEE, Coca-Cola beverages, fresh-spun cotton candy and new for this year Kid's Wacky Waffle!

Want more info? Heres the link:

http://cpfoodblog.com/2017-kings-dominion-dining-news/

(all pictures credited to CedarPoint Foodblog)

2017-2-22-2.thumb.jpg.d8ea2ae0c6e0d6ba904e4f27a64763a3.jpg

Joe Cool's Pit Stop

2017-2-22-3.thumb.jpg.abb3f35587f31041f09f5fd209b6540b.jpg

Snoopy Snack Shack

2017-2-22.thumb.jpg.4c2d13569854f028b112eccdc408aff2.jpg

Joe Cool's Pit Stop

I'm planning a trip to KD late in April. I hope to do Six Flags America Saturday morning and early afternoon and then head to Kings Dominion for late afternoon and the evening. I'll have Sunday to clean up any missed rides.

What kind of crowds should I expect on a Saturday/Sunday in late July?

Thanks in advance!

That's just past the peak of the main season. On the other hand, Saturday will still probably be only as crowded as, say, the following Tuesday at CP or GrAdv and Sundays are considerably better. Weather dependent of course. I'd say don't rush between the parks with that plan (unless you plan to Fast Lane), things do usually wind down some at night at KD, especially if you can get Sunday first thing and at night as well.

Most of June and the very end of August are usually sparse. Unfortunately, you can tell the least crowded days by them coinciding with earlier closings, at least until Haunt.

This is kind of random but will you be renting a car? If so, make sure your rental car comes with an EZ Pass. If not, get your own EZ Pass. If you'll have 3 people in the car, consider an EZ Pass Flex. I-95 between the parks has a section of EZ Pass only reversible express lanes and you'll want to have the option to enter those if they're open in your direction. There have been plenty of times where they've easily saved me an hour of sitting in traffic.

Edited by coasterbill

If you want a more relaxed drive you can get on Route 301 about 2 miles from SFA and take that road south until is meets up with I-95 just north of KD. In ideal situations this route takes about 25 minutes longer and clear sailing on I95, but I95 is not always known for smooth sailing around Washington DC. Route 301 also provides opportunities to stop for crab cakes.

^^-- 301 is still mighty tedious, at best you get 30 miles of suburban stripmall sprawl to drive through. Google Maps also knows way more about the troubles on I95 and may mislead you. I was going that way because I just couldn't handle the stress of I95, but it takes soooo long. This was northbound only, the highway is much better by the time for me to head back south and the 301 bridge toll is south only (they charge you to get out of Maryland, haha, actually could be worth every penny if it discourages traffic). Twice I've given up on trying to get to SFA, 301N has been so bad on Sunday afternoons. That place really suffers from location, it's hard to have fun when you're seeing red before you even get there.

So I take it they'll be adding significant height to Hurler (ala NMS) since they're starting so early. Great to see Cedar Fair finally on board with RMC. Then again they may have been aboard for years but played it extremely coy

While it is great to have this "confirmed"... does anyone else find it amusing someone took a photo from where they likely shouldn't have been and plastered their name over it so everyone knows they took it?

Is this from that road that runs by the bone yard? That actually seems to be a public street (though it looks like an access road) and I believe it's even on Google Street view for some reason.

While it is great to have this "confirmed"... does anyone else find it amusing someone took a photo from where they likely shouldn't have been and plastered their name over it so everyone knows they took it?

Is this from that road that runs by the bone yard? That actually seems to be a public street (though it looks like an access road) and I believe it's even on Google Street view for some reason.

It is.

They took the Hurler webcam down a couple of weeks back so I am assuming that this move along with the "Do Not take photos of Mean Streak" during WCO, CF really, really doesn't want us to know anything when it comes to their RMC connection.

Both "alleged" RMC coaster conversions are all hush hush.

They took the Hurler webcam down a couple of weeks back so I am assuming that this move along with the "Do Not take photos of Mean Streak" during WCO, CF really, really doesn't want us to know anything when it comes to their RMC connection.

Both "alleged" RMC coaster conversions are all hush hush.

And I'm totally fine with this. The element of surprise keeps me interested.