TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Welp.. this explains why in two quick stops at KD last summer I couldn't find the entrance to Grizzly. Mystery solved. Thanks guys!

It also explains why the Grizzly station always looks like any coaster's station at Dorney Park. If you have more than eight people on a train, the park must be SLAMMED that day.

^Grizzly blew me away, it was way more forceful than I expected! There's a few great airtime hills, ridiculous laterals, and an awesome location. For me it's the best coaster there outside of I305 by far.

It's 4th in the park for me, behind I305, Volcano, and Dominator. Still a fantastic ride, and really shows how great KD's lineup is.

yeah, i do love the Grizzly. it was even better back before they tore down half the trees in the area to build the Hurler. Back then it really felt like a roller coaster set deep inside a dense forest, and at night it was so dark.

Hurler is so bad it even managed to make OTHER rides less good.

yeah, i do love the Grizzly. it was even better back before they tore down half the trees in the area to build the Hurler. Back then it really felt like a roller coaster set deep inside a dense forest, and at night it was so dark.

Maybe the RMC will do the opposite and make Grizzly better.

Holy sh*t:

IMG_3049.JPG.531c7663d08abde8414223bc1626304d.JPG

I am just learning this.

Holy sh*t:

[attachment=0]IMG_3049.JPG[/attachment]

I am just learning this.

Wow, that looks so much different

While Hurler did have an impact on Grizzly, just as much of the clearing can be blamed on Hypersonic. Even after Hurler, the front half of Grizzly was still almost entirely concealed.

So glad to see Grizzly getting some love around here. I think it's one of the best woodies in the south.

Holy sh*t:

I am just learning this.

Wow that is an awesome picture, seeing the ride hidden out in the forest.

It reminds me of this clip from the 1995 CoasterMania documentary (which by the way is my favorite coaster documentary of all time), where the guy being interviewed talks about the fun and mystery of going on a new ride and not knowing what's going to happen. While they are talking about the Beast @ KI, I feel that the same must have applied to Grizzly when it was new.

28:30 - 28:42

Wow. I've heard that Grizzly used to be way more concealed but I've never seen it for myself. What a shame.

Now I understand why it used to be referenced as "The Beast of KD".

They're both grueling extended positive Gs, but to a different degree, basically the same but not quite as long now. The first 80 degrees or so of the curve is unchanged. The forces start reducing towards the end of the curve because of slowing down as you rise. Before they held through the whole curve AND continued into the upward rising curvature which has been all but eliminated, the rise is in the curve itself. The airtime on the second hill starts maybe 15 feet of track later than originally but more suddenly, where it returns to the original track, vs. before it started on the end of a piece that was removed.

Went on the last day of 2016 for a few hours in the afternoon... I hadn't gotten a chance to go in the past couple of months b/c of work.

Crowds were surprisingly large compared to past Closing Days, although I renewed my Gold Pass in the morning and cashed in my bonus FL+ same-day (Volcano line-skipping FTW!). Used my food pass one last time at Tower Pizza. (Unfortunately, I didn't get much usage out of my food pass or all-season drink bottle - bottle stolen from Rebel Yell article bin second day of use, didn't visit enough times for food pass, so I probably won't be renewing those. )

Hurler still intact/awaiting any sort of renovation/demolition - no RMC track spotted . Volcano was up and down all day. Intimidator line was nonexistent as usual. Delirium line was probably over an hour. Lots of families in Planet Snoopy/Dinosaurs Alive for the kids' activities. Haunt decorations seemed a bit lacking compared to last year, and more graphic props were covered up than in past years.

Oh, and they removed the trees around the Eiffel Tower! I can't decide whether that's a good thing or a bad thing yet, but it was an interesting change!

I'm looking forward to the wait times feature for the KD app in 2017! (I'd be excited about the Wi-Fi, but TBH that sounds like an easy target for hackers looking for personal info, so I'll probably avoid that)

/post

(I didn't get any pictures, since I was using my phone for Pokemon... sorry )

What???? They removed the tree's around the Eiffel Tower????? They provided a lot of shade and looked great there!

According to the park, the trees were infested with some type of beetle/bug that bore into the wood. This, in turn, killed them. There was no treatment that could save them (not sure if that was because the damage was too far along to do anything about it or there was not an effective treatment to kill the beetle/bug). Anyway, someone stated the park had posted signs around the area stating the removal of the trees and the reason around Labor day weekend. The park stated new trees would be planted to replace them (I guess during the off-season).

I believe this is the bug in question: http://www.emeraldashborer.info/

They are a pretty big deal in Michigan (and have been for a while) but just moved in the DC/Virginia/Maryland area in the past couple of years. Some students at a University there designed a trap for the beetles, but as far as I know nothing has entirely stopped them. The trees can be replaced with another kind, but if they put ash trees back in they will die too (probably).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

News:

The park is showing Rebel Yell retracking on their Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/kingsdominionva/photos/br.Abpw6KCERZzEDVVPOP1FrVtbMQboro4FCVqXK30BswqnwW0dXY2xTlw_J20GZOkSHEc0ovN3B-ubDYBggFCO6mBLfOkrtSJnTjsmqwMO-aeV5Qh1C26yXLkLAVJlwUK3r92YKpIUSu18j9TTu-AB7JO2o51YupJgN4YUPbx08fMawUUeDk6i1iZbW5CeFKxTD0Q/10153946582921875/?type=3&theater

(Got my hopes up for Hurler when I first saw it! Anyone see trucks?)

They're also adding Panda Express and ChickFilA to the dining plan! I was starting to get a bit bored with it (although the deal for a local is undeniable) and sometimes their better non-franchise restaurants are closed, so this is really good. I thought a purpose of the plan was to help keep their own restaurants busier, maybe not, maybe there will be some difference of meal. I think they did a bit better on having places open this last year, that could have been in response to complaints. Choices are few when the park is dead.