TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Oh and sorry for the double post but let me do what I never do and speculate a little bit and stir the pot.

As of Saturday there is no visible work going on at all around Hurler. None. No visible track work, nothing. The supports have a ton of orange markers on them just like Mean Streak and from Windseeker you could see them all over the layout. I think there's a lot of reason to be excited about the future of Hurler... maybe not next year, but I'd keep a close eye on that ride. Just saying...

I didn't take pictures because they're already out in the open but here are a few, and they look just like the ones on Mean Streak. They're everywhere.

Let's be honest, there's never a dull moment on this site as there's always a thread that has wild speculation every other page *cough Darien Lake cough* and any peace given to a thread is just temporary and can and will be ruined at any time because people honestly just want to watch the world burn and let us not have nice things.

I had a wacky idea for Hurler: turn it into another Volcano or similar fake geology, put some holes in it and run a nice coaster through and around it (not launch out of it or load in it). The flatness of the KD property is a weakness as far as how it looks and some possibilities for coasters (good for walking though).

I was agitating for them to fix Hurler ever since the trim brake (before which I had no real complaints, but every year expected it to reach unridable even to me) but a lot of that had to do with the idea that something relatively cheap could be done to make it a lot better. I still believe it's just as valid and good yet different a wood coaster style as their others. I just now see they don't need 3 different variations on classic PTC-train'd classic woodies. If reopened, it needs to look different, ride more different. I could see keeping the layout, attacking the roughness with RMC and new trains to the point it could be called "neutering" the ride to turn it into the family coaster they most recently billed it as. As far as major changes, it doesn't *seem* like a good candidate but one thing I can think of is replacing the first curve with something like overbanked 90 degree turn(s) and an inversion or wave turn (simply replacing it with an elevated overbank style turn would call for a smaller curve radius and not match up).

Is Hurler becoming an RMC

I'm prepared to be wrong but I'm starting to get more excited than I probably should because these look just like Mean Streak's markers and once again... they've done no visible work on Hurler. None. The thought of adding even a small RMC to that already amazing lineup is tremendously exciting, so while it's far from a certainty I find myself getting more excited about this than I probably should.

It's all in my own head though, so if I turn out to be wrong I won't be one of the people blaming the park for hyping it up too much. The hype train exists entirely in my own head for this thing.

Is Hurler becoming an RMC

I'm prepared to be wrong but I'm starting to get more excited than I probably should because these look just like Mean Streak's markers and once again... they've done no visible work on Hurler. None. The thought of adding even a small RMC to that already amazing lineup is tremendously exciting, so while it's far from a certainty I find myself getting more excited about this than I probably should.

It's all in my own head though, so if I turn out to be wrong I won't be one of the people blaming the park for hyping it up too much. The hype train exists entirely in my own head for this thing.

Hurler RMC is coming IMO. They did the announcement with the phrase "'There's Really More Coming", which was as subtle as their "Richard Michael Crosby" with Mean Streak. They might be trying to get a big jump on Mean Streak b/c of winter weather in Ohio and they can start Hurler later on b/c VA winter is nothing. Alternatively, since Hurler is SBNO they could finish up Mean Streak for 2017, than work on Hurler during the operating year. Finish Hurler RMC in fall 2017, open it 2018. IMO, Cedar Fair might go through a stretch of a bunch of RMC conversions like Six Flags did.

Edited by eugenecd

^ As with Cedar Point's addition I'm on the 2018 bandwagon, but if I'm wrong that theory is plausible, plus it's a smaller ride. And if it's a 2018 ride they probably just closed Hurler because there's no reason to pay to run and staff a ride that's tremendously unpopular, draws no gate and generates absolutely zero in park spending. They made money by having Hurler closed this year. I don't know that it had to be closed but it was a smart decision.